300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "The New Guy" working drugs and traffic

Greetings all. I'm getting ready to graduate the academy, got hired on with a small town PD, majority base work will be running traffic and working dope. Now as a new officer, I don't know jack about actual work in the field of LE, (did some time overseas). The first barrier I've ID'd doing rides so far is beating the lookouts, what works best for y'all working dope? Traffic Stops? Engaging the local populous? Being seen and deterring? Granted I know I wont be some supercop in a year, but I want to hit the ground running and be pro active instead of just sitting in a passenger seat nodding my head (if that makes sense). Especially working in a high turnover town for LEOs...

How about your 1st get off your field training. Learn the job before try to be that guy. Learn the ropes. Your talking running a marathon when you should be learning to walk.
    I'd rather be judged by 12 rather carried by 6.

It should be noted that any and all post that are made are based on my own thought and opinions. And are not related or implied to represent the department I work for.

Comment

• TheDeerHunter
      TheDeerHunter commented
      Editing a comment
      Got it, like i said, just trying to be proactive

Woah there, slow the bus down. Your "majority base work" should be responding to dispatched calls for service. Especially when you're on probation. Why is your department a high turnover town?
    Play stupid games and win stupid prizes. An all expenses paid trip with travel, meals, and accommodations included!

Comment

Ohhhhhhh boy. Popcorn anyone?
      Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by TheDeerHunter View Post
        Greetings all. I'm getting ready to graduate the academy, got hired on with a small town PD, majority base work will be running traffic and working dope. Now as a new officer, I don't know jack about actual work in the field of LE, (did some time overseas). The first barrier I've ID'd doing rides so far is beating the lookouts, what works best for y'all working dope? Traffic Stops? Engaging the local populous? Being seen and deterring? Granted I know I wont be some supercop in a year, but I want to hit the ground running and be pro active instead of just sitting in a passenger seat nodding my head (if that makes sense). Especially working in a high turnover town for LEOs...
        Well I can see why your department has a high turn over rate.

Depending on how "small" and busy your department is you may be running call to call or bored out of your mind.
        Learn the basics starting out. You'll progress from there.

Comment

Before I retired, I was an FTO (Field Training Officer).

As a rookie, you'll be expected to show up on time, showered and shaved, with your uniform and all equipment present and properly maintained. You'll be expected to keep your mouth shut, your ears open, and just learn the basics of your job.

Specializing in stuff like dope and traffic, will come with time, once you have proved that you can reliably do the basics, and do them well...

Comment

I smell fish....

Comment

It will all come with time brother. Just learn the basics, you’ll be shocked that first week on the road, it will seem like mandate taught you nothing haha. Learn the basics then you will see that the dope and everything else just falls in line. Honestly I know so many people that wanted to be “drug cops” pre academy then once they graduated and hit the road they learned that they wanted to do something totally different (traffic, DUI task force, warrants, detectives, community policing unit). As stated above keep your mouth shut, ears open and everybody has something that you can learn from. Good luck

Comment

Please ride your calls and stay low key. I’m an FTO and would work with you but wouldn’t want you in my car if you can’t handle a domestic.

Comment

Wow...

Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please take what I am about to tell you to heart....

I was in your shoes a little under two years ago. Recently hired on at a small department that was a revolving door. The administration had a fetish for firing people they had just hired. I had delusions of grandeur that I would be out there making headlines as I tossed drug dealers, murderers and rapists in prison. I was warned by people who worked there before me that it was a ****ed up department and to keep my head down. I didn't listen. I wanted to be a cop! I was different. I was smarter. I am going to change the world.

I was wrong.

My duties, much like yours will be, were to run traffic. Like, A LOT of traffic. Pretty much my job was to generate revenue on the interstate, to the point that I would be accosted for spending time off the interstate. I was told to go out to the highway and don't come back until I've paid for me to be there that day.

It's ****ed up but it is what it is and I don't work there anymore, so anyway...

Initially, I did what I was told. I went out on the interstate and hammered everything that moved. I pulled drugs, guns, warrants, etc... off the interstate and initially had fun doing it. I had some hairy moments and some funny moments and some downright terrifying moments. However, I started to drift.

Eventually, I started to spend time off the interstate. I wanted to be a cop! I wanted to chase down criminals in the community. I wanted to go after the meth dealers that the people in the community would tell us about. This was a mistake.

I eventually pulled over several people who were in some way shape or form connected to the administration of my employer. These people had my employer on speed dial, and I was pulled off of several traffic stops before I could even run their info through our dispatcher.

I had people lie about my conduct during traffic stops (praise the Lord for body cameras, and please please ALWAYS use yours if given one)

I had people brag that they would be getting their citation 'taken care of' by my employer (they did)

I was told I would lose my job if I took the individual telling me that to jail (I didn't, but he beat the charges)

The point I am trying to make, is like the above mentioned by other posters is to keep your head down, and do NOT rock the boat. Get off of probation first. Listen to your FTO (if you have one. I never did).

Do not make the same mistakes I made. Do not go out trying to change the world. Do not think you're going to make any significant impact by your actions. You are just another number in a small department that will probably be gone in 2-3 years. The administration knows this. They do not care. As soon as you start making things difficult for them, you are gone.

Small departments are usually in small communities. These communities have power hierarchies intact that have been intact for generations. Someone always knows someone who can ruin your career. Please please please believe me when I say this. You will be surrounded by people who know who you work for and they are WAY closer to each other than you and your employer ever will be. Close as in generations of their families have worked together, lived together, went to school together, farmed together, and have worked together to keep their power structures intact. This is also amplified by the fact that you're in the south where these types of things are WAY more common than up north. I'm guessing you will not have a union to protect you as well.

You think by building a case on a small dope dealer will go your way? Wrong. He or she knows someone that will get the case dismissed or will plead it down to simple possession and you will be told to leave that person alone because he is the step-grandson of the sheriff's brothers 2nd wife.

You think the people in the community care about you enforcing speed limits and stop signs? Wrong, you're just in their way. Your efforts will never be appreciated in a small community unless you save someones life or dog or something.

If you are from the community you are now serving in, consider the fact that now EVERYONE knows you are a cop, and they probably know your family. Your actions could potentially put the safety of your family in jeopardy.

You just need to do whatever you need to do to keep your job. That is it. Nothing else.

Please be safe.
                  Last edited by Saluki89; 11-24-2020, 12:26 PM.

Comment

My only question is " why the hell did you settle for a tiny, garbage agency like that, instead of a larger one, or at least one that doesnt have that amount of turnover?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6817 users online. 353 members and 6464 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X