300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enough with the APD already!

I've been reading all of the posts about the Atlanta Police Department for a few weeks now. And I must say, I am not impressed. I've recently applied, but after reading some of the comments about the APD I kind of wish I didn't.

I've only read of one officer happy to work with the APD and even he doesn't sound to ecstatic at times. As a matter of fact he mentioned wanting to leave at one time do to the bad morale and low pay.

As for me, I've applied to numerous agencies (including APD), just trying to get my foot in the door. I've wanted to be a police officer for as long as I can remember and am willing to relocate anywhere.

If I get in, that will be great. If not, no big deal. If Atlanta wants me, I'll go, but I won't be too excited about it. Not as excited if I got in to some other large agency.

My real question is not about the APD, (I think I know enough about the APD just by visiting this forum) but rather about the city of Atlanta. Do you guys enjoy living there? I know the cost of living is low, but that usually means that the economy sucks. Is that true?

Hows the way of life there. I know traffic can be an issue, but how about everything else.

Aside from working with the APD, are you happy to live in Atlanta?

If you've lived in any other large city, can you please compare it to Atlanta.

I'm just trying to get a feel for the city.

Thanks.

My advice is not to go if you're not excited about the job.. You will not last..

Also just because most people complain about a job doesnt mean you will hate it.. My buddy works for APD and loves his job.. Of course there are some bad things he says, but overall he is happy and that(happiness) is strictly a personal opinion, not one that you can make by reading on forums..You need to experience something to see if its for you.. But I think you should be positive going in.. I worked for Atlanta briefly but decided it was not the right place or time<--mainly for me due to some serious family issues that arose.. You could love it.. Basically dont RESEARCH yourself out of a positive attitude..

If you're not set on a specific area the housing is very affordable..

Traffic sucks.

I am happy in Atlanta, besides the heat and traffice I love it.. I live about 20 mins north of Atlanta..so I get the best of both worlds..

Great restaurants, shopping, lots of nightlife, parks, zoo, Six Flags, Stone Mountain, Falcons, Braves, Hawks.. etc.. Basically there is always something going on.. And there are so many beautiful women its insane..

Good luck..

Originally posted by JustinTyme View Post
    I've been reading all of the posts about the Atlanta Police Department for a few weeks now. And I must say, I am not impressed. I've recently applied, but after reading some of the comments about the APD I kind of wish I didn't.

I've only read of one officer happy to work with the APD and even he doesn't sound to ecstatic at times. As a matter of fact he mentioned wanting to leave at one time do to the bad morale and low pay.

As for me, I've applied to numerous agencies (including APD), just trying to get my foot in the door. I've wanted to be a police officer for as long as I can remember and am willing to relocate anywhere.

If I get in, that will be great. If not, no big deal. If Atlanta wants me, I'll go, but I won't be too excited about it. Not as excited if I got in to some other large agency.

My real question is not about the APD, (I think I know enough about the APD just by visiting this forum) but rather about the city of Atlanta. Do you guys enjoy living there? I know the cost of living is low, but that usually means that the economy sucks. Is that true?

Hows the way of life there. I know traffic can be an issue, but how about everything else.

Thanks.

Comment

If you want to know about the problems of the APD, click on this

high speed
      http://www.ibpo.org/video/Atlanta%20...0highspeed.wmv

low speed (Dial Up)
      http://www.ibpo.org/video/Atlanta%20...d%20dialup.wmv

Comment

Originally posted by richmondaxx View Post
        If you want to know about the problems of the APD, click on this

high speed
        http://www.ibpo.org/video/Atlanta%20...0highspeed.wmv

low speed (Dial Up)
        http://www.ibpo.org/video/Atlanta%20...d%20dialup.wmv

You APD? Just curious.. that is a very good clip that more people should see..

Comment

That was a very impressive video. It truely sucks that things are that bad in Atlanta. Funny, I tested with you guys when I was in the Corps back in '96. They came to Camp Lejeune, but, the (ex)wife didn't want to go to such a huge city! LOL. I hope things work out for you all.
          Why are there so many babies on O.com? Creole, you and your buddy JPSO Recruit help me out on this one....

* "Preach always, if necessary, use words!" St Francis of Assisi

* Luke Chapter 6, Verses 27-36

Comment

That video was frightening. First, it is a wonder there haven't been more officer down incidents. Second, what a slap in the face for a veteran who has shown committment to the city and dept. to have to train a lateral in making more money than them. Third, other cities are starting to do this. Memphis had done this and is now facing the same problem APD is with keeping officers. Memphis is not offering more money to laterals as TN as a whole treats laterals like rookies.

Back to APD. To any current APD officers who have viewed the video: Do you believe that if the measures suggested in the video were put in place, that the overall morale of the dept. (financially, career wise, etc.) would improve?

2Lucky

Comment

Oh boy, that is a scary. I knew it was bad but that is just uncalled for. Who's to blame?

With pay the way it is, there has got to be a lot of corrupt police officers. Not saying that there is, but low pay and no respect for the cities police officers definately can lead up to corruption.

Are the cities leaders really that blind to the current situation?

Comment

when pennington came to atlanta, he told everyone that he encouraged career development (i.e. more schools and better training and climbing up the career ladder). we are yet to see that...it is very difficult to get approved for training and unless you go to forsyth (state academy) your options of in-house training are limited and subpar.

the pay is an issue, but only because you are HIRED at top pay...APD offers one of the highest starting salaries in the metro area, but they dont tell you that there is no room for increase because the mayor has FROZEN our yearly step increments for the past 6 yrs...she has mentioned in interviews that there is no money but yet she "found" 200 million for the NASCAR proposal and now she "found" another 250 million to fund the beltline...it would only take 11 million to fix the pay issue for police AND fire which includes 6yrs of retro pay...for every five officers hired, 4 are leaving....most cite the pay as the main issue...so why not do it???

my theory is that there are hundreds of stacks of applications up in the recruiters office containing names of young, eager, unknowing applicants who "just wanna get their foot in the door" and are willing to put up with a certain amount of b.s. in order to be po-po, and most of ya'll plan on leaving in a few yrs anyways. maybe ya'll think we are "complaining" or "hate our jobs". i just think it's fair to air the dirty laundry so you know the facts BEFORE you apply...unfortunately i didnt get that opportunity.

Comment

Let me know if I am wrong are not? Doesnt APD start you off at like $34,000 something then when you get out the ac. you go up to $38,000. And what you are at $38,000 something for like the next 5 years are so. Is that right are wrong. Thank you

Comment

luv2bblue,
                    I didn't take your comments as complaining, however, I thought they were very direct and clear about what you see as issues with keeping good officers and recruiting good certified officers.

Midwest,
                    From what I read, that is correct. Also, if you are already post certified and get hired as a lateral, you go in making more money than many that have been there for years.

Comment

Originally posted by midwest View Post
                      Let me know if I am wrong are not? Doesnt APD start you off at like $34,000 something then when you get out the ac. you go up to $38,000. And what you are at $38,000 something for like the next 5 years are so. Is that right are wrong. Thank you
                      Did you watch the video? The directly address that issue..

Comment

Originally posted by midwest View Post
                        Thats correct, expect take out the "5" years, and make it more like 10+
                        Then throw in the fact that in 5 years, the academy recruits will make more than you do, because the city raised the starting pay, but nobody elses.

But come in as a 2 year lateral with a 4 year degree, and make more than your veteran SGT.
                        "I have learned to love that which is meant to harm me, so that I can stand in the way of those who are less strong. I can take the bullets for those who aren't able to."

"Violence Is A Language Gangs Understand"

Comment

Yes, APD is pretty ****** up at the moment. But...things are going to get a WHOLE LOT BETTER after the FBI is done cleaning house. I just try to concentrate on the positives in the meantime. What people dont realize is that we are actually the highest paid Police Officers in the state-when you look at our starting pay and top out pay(those of us that were lucky enough to get there before the freeze). We actually have to turn down off duty gigs because the off duty work is so plentiful. Most APD Officers will actually take home much more money than those who work out in the suburbs, even with the pay step freeze. That is why some of us stick around. Eventually, the pay steps are going to be re-implemented, and the city will pay us like the major Police Department that we are. In the meantime, we are getting twice the experience that we would get working out the suburbs, something that Federal agencies look very highly upon if we ever decided to leave. If we do decide to stick around, potential to move up in the department is very good. Suburban departments could never compete with the number of available specialized unit positions that are available in the APD. Working in the suburbs and knowing that I would most likely be a patrol officer for ten years before advancement would not exactly excite me.

Comment

Originally posted by JustinTyme View Post

Thanks.
                            If you are using this forum as a basis to decide on a job, your decision making skills need to be refined. You have a certain kind of person that visits forums. I am sure this forum does NOT represent tha vast majority of APD officers. Go to ATlanta and talk to some face to faceand see what theyhave to say

Comment

The economy is GREAT. the traffic is TERRIBLE

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6189 users online. 323 members and 5866 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X