300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Retirement Plans?

What Georgia agency has the best retirement plan? I know most have gotten away from the traditional pension and gone to a 457(b) with a possible match, but there are still a few good ones out there. Below are a few I came across, correct me if they're off. The percentages are assuming an officer retires and is fully vested.

-Savannah (70% of top salary)
    -Columbus (60% of top salary)
    -Atlanta (30% + 457 contribution)
    -State (1% per year + 457 contribution)

I also heard that the State offers 1% on their pension. The Board Of Regents (University System) offers 2% but you have to be 60 years old, or have 30 years to retire with a full pension. You can get out at 25 years, but you take a cut.

Comment

Dunwoody PD seems to have a decent one. Good benefits too.

Comment

You have to consider salary too. I could retire at 80% but if I'm only making $50k a year, that's still not a good retirement. Many of the school police departments (city, county and university) are on TRS. It is 2% x years of service of your two highest consecutive salaries so not bad. I know Atlanta, Buford, Dekalb, and Gwinnett school police have pretty high salaries.

Most defined benefit pensions are going away so you better get one while you can. The nice thing with TRS is that you can change jobs to any TRS or ERS position and stay in the position.
        Last edited by AtlCop; 08-18-2019, 05:09 PM.
        Sign here. Press hard. You are making five copies.

Comment

How do the well paying metro agencies compare? Dunwoody, Sandy Springs, Brookhaven, etc.

Comment

GA retirement is trash. Surrounding states are way better. Period, invest in the stock market or life insurance. That’s what I’ve been forced to do.
            USMC-6322 Comm/Nav Tech
            Oorah!

Comment

I retired from DeKalb PD back in 2013. The pension was very good. I think it has since changed a little, and not for the better. 2.75% for each completed year, vested in 10 years,

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5537 users online. 269 members and 5268 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X