300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GSP Questions

So I am thinking about applying next year for GSP. I have some questions for those of you that have recently been through the process.

1. How hard is the math section of the POST Entrance Exam? I good at basic math, but algebra might as well be speaking Chinese.
    2. Does GSP do a wish list for your duty station?
    3. How much daily running should I be doing to prepare for Trooper School?
    4. For medical issues, I have to use a CPAP. Will having sleep apnea disqualify me medically and if not will I be able to use it in Trooper School?

Thanks in advance. I am working on my pt. Down 40lbs and need to lose another 80 to get to my goal. Currently doing modified Crossfit and cycling for my cardio. Any other tips would be appreciated.

Jb

I don't think you have to do the math portion for POST.

They have recruiters. Call and ask one. Good luck!

Comment

I have been in contact with one. He told me not to disqualify myself and apply. I am out of state and didn't want to make trips if it something that will be an automatic DQ. Does anyone have more insight about the medical screening?

Comment

Originally posted by Bert Reynolds View Post
        So I am thinking about applying next year for GSP. I have some questions for those of you that have recently been through the process.

1. How hard is the math section of the POST Entrance Exam? I good at basic math, but algebra might as well be speaking Chinese.
        2. Does GSP do a wish list for your duty station?
        3. How much daily running should I be doing to prepare for Trooper School?
        4. For medical issues, I have to use a CPAP. Will having sleep apnea disqualify me medically and if not will I be able to use it in Trooper School?

Thanks in advance. I am working on my pt. Down 40lbs and need to lose another 80 to get to my goal. Currently doing modified Crossfit and cycling for my cardio. Any other tips would be appreciated.

Jb
        Alright, so I'll answer a few of these. First, POST Entrance exam is a little challenging, for some but you shouldn't have too big of an issue with it. I would brush on math though before taking it.

GSP gets a wish list while you're in trooper school. You are very likely to get your home troop, and even the desired post. However, there are some cases where you may not, it just depends on that area and it's need for troopers at that time.

This should be your primary focus right now, as far as getting physically ready for trooper school. I think what you should focus on, is being able to pass the minimum requirement for the PT test. Once you get that down, build distance. We regularly run 3 miles (GPSTC perimeter every week). It is a progressive school though, so as everyone gets more fit together, we build in what we do as far as exercises. It can be daunting at first, no matter how in shape you are. But again, make sure 100 percent you can pass that 1.5 mile in 15:35 first. Then worry about adding distance.

I can't speak on medical issues. You will probably go to Macon to get checked out for that, and should they decide that that isn't a disqualifier you should be good. You're going to live on sight in a room with three other cadets as well.

Keep up the work, anything can be worked towards. Personally I just tried to build distance and eventually wound up getting better at it. It's a beast, for sure. But like anything, working towards it is your best option. Best of luck with Georgia State Patrol. It's not an easy process, but it is absolutely worth it.
        Last edited by Captain Adams; 04-20-2019, 10:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bert Reynolds View Post
          I have been in contact with one. He told me not to disqualify myself and apply. I am out of state and didn't want to make trips if it something that will be an automatic DQ. Does anyone have more insight about the medical screening?
          You will likely make trips to Atlanta and Macon throughout the process. If they know you are out of state they can usually help you out by scheduling your dates as close as possible so that you only have to go to that location once. I had to travel three separate times to different places in Georgia because I was out of state too, but as I went through they were good about notifying me that I had passed and had moved on with the process. It can be different for everyone, but it was on me to buy a hotel room and the likes. Biggest thing is people disqualify themselves all the time for the process. Don't do it, just be patient. No news is good news with this agency and the total process should only take a few months.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the info. I can pass the PAT now, but I want to make sure I can push through Trooper school. I am going to take a $35K pay cut, but it has been my dream to become a trooper. I will keep working on it and I am super motivated now! See y'all on the other side!

Comment

Has anyone ever been to Trooper School, or attempted, more than 3 times??? Just curious

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11103 users online. 461 members and 10642 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X