Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Putting myself through the academy...

So here's my situation....
    I am going to be putting myself through the police academy in Macon in (hopefully) July. My question is this: How hard will it be to get hired by a local police or sheriff's department? Also, how long will it take to get hired, approximately? Thanks in advance!

You should just apply to several police departments so they will pay for you to attend the academy. Not only will it save you money, you'll also draw a paycheck while in the academy. If you are hired by a law enforcement agency you will be required to work their for 2 years or you or your new agency will be required to reimburse your first agency at a prorated rate. If you put yourself through the academy you'll still be required to go through the hiring process which will most likely be the same time frame as someone that is not certified. Hope this helps and gives you a bit of incite.

Comment

I attended the MGPA Pre Service in 2003, by week 8 we had agencies coming by about twice a week pitching their wares to us pre service types.

They allowed us to take a few minutes out of class time to co up to the conference room with them and speak in private.

I ended up going with an agency from Metro Atlanta due to the higher starting pay.

But I talked to Macon PD, Bibb SO, Warner Robins PD, Houston COSO, Forsyth PD and Perry PD before we graduated.

When you graduate they will announce you as Pre Service when you walk the stage so expect to be cornered by agencies after graduation as well.

Lamar COSO caught me on the way out the door, they were their for two deputies who graduated.

Don't worry they'll find you.
      "I neither approve or blame. I merely relate."- Voltaire

Comment

at my academy graduation, there were recruiting officers galore! i mean i was in uniform from my count right? and they were still handing me fliers, pictures, policies... i was like im not interested right now...but how much did you say yall paid? haha i agree with the other guy, get a department to send you, so you save $ and make $... evoc alone is like $500.. do that, spend your two years and move on.

Comment

Hope Grant makes it free.

I am pre-service and on the last day of week 8. If you can make it with no check for 10 weeks, you definitely come out with the better deal in the long run.

Comment

thanks for all the input! i think i will still do pre-service. I juts have to save up enough money to cover the bills, which shouldn't be too difficult (in theory). any other advice is very much appreciated!!!!

Comment

Start the process now. Up here at the northeast academy, it was 16 months from the date the director said "congrats, you're in" to the time my class started. And some of the other pre-service guys in my class are mad that I got to start that quickly. So get started now. Up here it takes almost 2 years from the time you get the ball rolling.

Comment

Pre-service Candidate

I applied to the Southeast Georgia Police Academy and it's been several months since I've heard anything. I was told that they have to put candidates through first who are hired on by police departments. I was told it was the law. It doesn't look like I'm ever gonna go.

I was also told that if I was sponsored by a police department that I could get in faster. I have tried that and it has been unsuccesful. I am waiting to hear back from an interview that I did with the gwinnett county police department for crime scene technician. I would rather do that.

I hope you have luck getting in faster than I have. Definitely try to get sponsored by a police department. It will be a lot faster.
                www.amyandwandasrants.blogspot.com

Comment

try other academies.. or just apply at an agency

Comment

--------------
                    Last edited by alienbow; 04-20-2008, 05:38 AM.

Comment

Well it's definitely worth the wait if you can make it (it took 2 years to get in the academy as pre-service, and that is from the date of ACCEPTANCE).

Today, I am graduating as pre-service. Half our guys are ALREADY discovering things they don't like about their depts. And I have the plus of not being tied down to anyone. It sucked during the process, but now that it is all over, I have more freedom in choosing where to work.

I kept an A average and passed everything on the first try (good selling point for me when applying).

So stick with it. It takes forever but is worth it in the end. Off to get dressed for graduation ......

Comment

---------------
                        Last edited by alienbow; 04-20-2008, 05:38 AM.

Comment

-----------------
                          Last edited by alienbow; 04-20-2008, 05:37 AM.

Comment

on average, if there is one, how long does it take to get a job after you finish the academy? i was hoping to get a job with the department in the town i live in, because they only hire POST certified officers. but there are 2 other around that i wouldn't mind working for, so if i don't get it, it won't be the 'end of the world' so to speak
                            thanks

Comment

---------------
                              Last edited by alienbow; 04-20-2008, 05:34 AM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5922 users online. 356 members and 5566 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X