Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Athens-Clarke County PD

Hi,
    Anyone have any information on Athens-Clarke County PD?
    I.E.- Your opinions about the agency, good or bad to look at, cost of living, agency as a whole, etc......Thanks!
    "Living may not be free, but thank God we are free to live"

As you already might know UGA is in Athens so you’ll be dealing with a lot of rich drunk college students. Athens is a great place to live you have everything you need without the big city crap. Cost of living is a little better then Atlanta.
    "Ernest Hemingway once wrote "The world is a fine place and worth fighting for" I agree with the second part" - Lt. Somerset

Comment

Cost of living is good. Our academy is about a mile from the Athens PD. We've had about 4 of their officers as instructors so far. From what I've heard they are a large department (obviously, as the city is pretty large for the area it is in). As the above poster said, it's a college town. And big time. Every day the streets are packed from sidewalk to sidewalk with college students. And on the weekends, it is a nightmare. Obviously a lot of domestic situations and tons of alcohol related crimes and driving offenses (again this is just what I was told from the officers I talked with). Crime rate is a lot lower than Atlanta obviously. And most of the crimes are less violent (well other than basic fights etc.). What I mean is not as much of a high concentration of gangs, and some of the big metro type crime. The streets are very narrow too I noticed. From the officers I've talked with though, they say it's a great place to work. As long as you have the tolerance to handle a lot of drunk college kids, and the self control to not drool over the incredible looking co-eds (is it me or does UGA require good looks to attend? lol), I'd think it'd be worth it.

Keep in mind the above opinions are only based on what I've seen (downtown and the academy area which is on the SE side), or based on the opinions of only a handful of the people I spoke with from that dept.

As far as living goes, I personally think Athens is a great area to live in. I live right next door (Winder, about 20 miles from downtown Athens). Athens is your typical Large "small town" / college town. I'd recommend it though.

Comment

Originally posted by tbird412
        Cost of living is good. Our academy is about a mile from the Athens PD. We've had about 4 of their officers as instructors so far. From what I've heard they are a large department (obviously, as the city is pretty large for the area it is in). As the above poster said, it's a college town. And big time. Every day the streets are packed from sidewalk to sidewalk with college students. And on the weekends, it is a nightmare. Obviously a lot of domestic situations and tons of alcohol related crimes and driving offenses (again this is just what I was told from the officers I talked with). Crime rate is a lot lower than Atlanta obviously. And most of the crimes are less violent (well other than basic fights etc.). What I mean is not as much of a high concentration of gangs, and some of the big metro type crime. The streets are very narrow too I noticed. From the officers I've talked with though, they say it's a great place to work. As long as you have the tolerance to handle a lot of drunk college kids, and the self control to not drool over the incredible looking co-eds (is it me or does UGA require good looks to attend? lol), I'd think it'd be worth it.

Keep in mind the above opinions are only based on what I've seen (downtown and the academy area which is on the SE side), or based on the opinions of only a handful of the people I spoke with from that dept.

As far as living goes, I personally think Athens is a great area to live in. I live right next door (Winder, about 20 miles from downtown Athens). Athens is your typical Large "small town" / college town. I'd recommend it though.
        I policed in Athens for five years. The crime rate and call volume are not low...the morale is though!
        "Would I ever leave this company? Look, I'm all about loyalty. In fact, I feel like part of what I'm being paid for here is my loyalty. But if there were somewhere else that valued loyalty more highly, I'm going wherever they value loyalty the most. " --Dwight K Schrute (The Office)

Comment

I think everyone complains about their department. Seems to be the trend today in any occupation "My comany sucks. Yu dont wanna work here"

Comment

I meant as in comparison to cities such as Atlanta, or it's small (sub cities) within it. For instance, I grew up in Decatur (age 3 - 12). Athens seems real laid back in comparison. Then I grew up in Lawrenceville (age 13-20) which is smaller than Athens, but even then seemed a lot more "hood" feeling than what I have seen throughout Athens. Heck maybe I just keep going through the good areas. My visits are very limited I will admit. Plus, you'd obviously have seen an exponentially larger amount of Athens than I ever have.

Comment

Originally posted by miked6
              I policed in Athens for five years. The crime rate and call volume are not low...the morale is though!
              That's what I'm trying to find out too. I've been in LE a long time, every agency has it's issues(If you were me asking about my place, you'd need psychological help after you listened!). OK, Moral is low...WHY?

On another note, from looking on Realtor.com, the houses between $125,000-$150,000 seem like you get a lot. I know the pay there starts about $30,500 and unfortunately doesn't pay any extra for experience. Noted about the posters that said about the college town atmosphere.....we have a smaller private University that's full of sugardaddy kids. Hard to police them because as soon as you arrest them within an hour someone like Ted Kennedy's attorney is calling from Massachuesetts already.
              Does anyone know the bad areas to avoid living in the city and county?
              Also, POST tells me I need to do 200 hrs to get certified. How would that be handled at the NE Georgia academy, and what type of academy is that as far as academic/physical standards?

Comment

Morale is low because the dept is poorly run. The pay is low and most of good extra jobs are locked up by senior officers and brass. The chief has put a training ceiling of 80 hours per year in effect, making it very difficult to make SPO in any reasonable amount of time. Also the SPO exam is distributed in advance to those they would like to see make SPO. Take home cars are in one year, and out the next. It is hard to keep up. The retirement is also pretty bad, and medical insurance is expensive. You are either dealing with snot nose punk kids and liberal professors, or crack heads and the homeless. Athens is rampant with a growing homeless/hippie population. Most have very little respect for the law in that town. And, don't even get me started on UGA game days. Get ready for the worst weekends of your life.

Housing - I would look at houses on the west side or out in Oglethorpe Co. You can get alot of house/land for your money in Oglethorpe.

Being out of state ceritifed, you would do an abbreviated academy at NEGPA, but it would be with a regular academy class. You would just show up on certain days and times to complete the portion you are required by POST.

There are better departments out there...Barrow County SO isn't bad.
                "Would I ever leave this company? Look, I'm all about loyalty. In fact, I feel like part of what I'm being paid for here is my loyalty. But if there were somewhere else that valued loyalty more highly, I'm going wherever they value loyalty the most. " --Dwight K Schrute (The Office)

Comment

Thank you, Miked....I have done some research and talked to others, and your post confirms a lot of what I heard, so appreciate the honest answer.
                  Why in the world would the higher ups take all the extra details...don't they get paid enough? I heard about the forced OT for the games too. I watch the PD's up here after the Steeler games and I wouldn't want to be doing what they are after the games(especially after this season).
                  Info on the take home cars is interesting, didn't here that but generally that's accurate whenever an agency wants to start "saving" money, it's the first place they start.

Any more from anyone?

PS- Miked, check your PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6023 users online. 362 members and 5661 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X