Where Can I Purchase This Holster?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where Can I Purchase This Holster?

I'm looking for a specific duty holster. I'm in the academy right now, and have a holster that just plain sucks. I was told I am more than welcome to buy my own if I'd like to. And I would. Very jealous of a Gwinnett guy behind me, and want his holster. His has this plastic piece (in place of the snap strap) that just flips forward to release back of the weapon. Basically instead of popping the snap with my thumb as I grab my weapon, my thumb flips forward this plastic piece that is actually pretty much in the shape that the closed snap strap would be. One of the other guys has a similar one, but his has a locking mechanism that he can engage so that the plastic piece will not flip forward while locked.

Either holster is fine, but I assume the latter is more pricey.

Any suggestions? I've checked all over the web. I've made a waste of a drive to Uniforms 911 in Athens. I need it soon, as I have to get used to it before range week. The holster I have now is ridiculous, it is old and garbage. Even one of my guest instructors laughed, as he (with two hands, this is a 13 year veteran too) tried to draw my weapon. I will surely fail the range if I don't get a holster that works worth a crap.

By the way, I am in Winder (30680) and obviously would prefer something close by, or with good shipping options.

Also, one more note. Material, brand, etc is not important at this time. And remember this needs to be a duty type holster. Not paddle, concealed, tilted, etc.

Thanks.

Originally posted by tbird412
    I'm looking for a specific duty holster. I'm in the academy right now, and have a holster that just plain sucks. I was told I am more than welcome to buy my own if I'd like to. And I would. Very jealous of a Gwinnett guy behind me, and want his holster. His has this plastic piece (in place of the snap strap) that just flips forward to release back of the weapon. Basically instead of popping the snap with my thumb as I grab my weapon, my thumb flips forward this plastic piece that is actually pretty much in the shape that the closed snap strap would be. One of the other guys has a similar one, but his has a locking mechanism that he can engage so that the plastic piece will not flip forward while locked.

Either holster is fine, but I assume the latter is more pricey.

Any suggestions? I've checked all over the web. I've made a waste of a drive to Uniforms 911 in Athens. I need it soon, as I have to get used to it before range week. The holster I have now is ridiculous, it is old and garbage. Even one of my guest instructors laughed, as he (with two hands, this is a 13 year veteran too) tried to draw my weapon. I will surely fail the range if I don't get a holster that works worth a crap.

By the way, I am in Winder (30680) and obviously would prefer something close by, or with good shipping options.

Also, one more note. Material, brand, etc is not important at this time. And remember this needs to be a duty type holster. Not paddle, concealed, tilted, etc.

Thanks.
    sounds like the one your buddy has is a Level I...while you might be a fast draw with it, the weapon retention on it is horrible and thats something to think about if you're fighting with a perp...the second one with the plastic lock near the thumb, sounds like a Level II...better retention and just as quick drawing it...any holster u choose should be a nice balance between retention security and being able to draw it quickly if needed. Level II's are really common...

i dont know the area of Winder, GA but check Galls.com or copshop.com. either of these are good and could ship them out to you in a matter of days.

Comment

The first one was level 2. It had an adjustable screw that basically increased pressure on the weapon. It's still pretty hard to get his weapon from him.

I checked galls before posting this. I couldn't find anything even close. And I checked copshop but couldn't even find duty holsters for sale on there (not a very good website as far as usability)
      Last edited by tbird412; 02-23-2007, 05:17 PM.

Comment

I believe the holster you are actually looking at is a safariland "Raptor" holster, it is a level 3. Takes some practice but you can draw really fast in that thing and you know your weapon is by god secured. I'm not gonna describe the 3 safety's on the board here but the strap on top is able to rock forward for a fast draw but still leaves you with two safety devices to defeat. To an outsider that is unfamilar with the holster it appears to simply on have the strap on top. The raptor is what my agency issues for the glock 21 (.45 cal.)we carry. Good solid holster, best I have used to date. (no one from Gwinett would have a level 1!!, gotta be a 3) Anything more than a level three is silly and you might as well have a combination lock on the thing. You want the weapon to be secure but not on lock down from you.

What type of weapon are you going to carry? That will help you narrow down your choices and get some real world feedback from LEO's here on the board.
        Last edited by Rapax; 02-23-2007, 08:36 PM.
        "Anyone is capable of anything"

"I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything I thought it could be".

-Peter Gibbons
        Office Space

Comment

what is you're duty weapon? try fobus holsters also.

Comment

I'm tellin ya, the Gwinnett SO guy rocked forward the plastic strap, and had me lift his weapon out easily. I could lift it straight out. Didn't have to maneuver it in the ways you would a level 3 (I too agree, won't describe that maneuver in public). But you know what move I mean. I did not have to do that. Just took his weapon straight out. He had the pressure adjusted to real low obviously, but that was it. Rock forward, and forcefully pull up and out.

Weapon: Glock 17

Comment

Originally posted by tbird412
              I'm tellin ya, the Gwinnett SO guy rocked forward the plastic strap, and had me lift his weapon out easily. I could lift it straight out. Didn't have to maneuver it in the ways you would a level 3 (I too agree, won't describe that maneuver in public). But you know what move I mean. I did not have to do that. Just took his weapon straight out. He had the pressure adjusted to real low obviously, but that was it. Rock forward, and forcefully pull up and out.

Weapon: Glock 17
              i was under the impression that the first holster he was describing was the the one that just has the "flip top" portion and the weapon just slips out, i thought that was a level 1...oh well...and you're right those websites i gave werent that good...the galls catalog has more variety, i dont know what the deal is with the site.

Comment

Sorry, that was more of my bad as the result of my description. I can see why it sounded like a level 1. But it definitely is a level 2, or Gwinnett would have a lot of shot officers I'm sure.

I really don't like or need level 3, at my stage. I am in the academy. I need something realistic (it'd be stupid to train with something too easy like a level 1) but practical for me to perform well, being that I am new at this. So I figure a level 2 like his is perfect. I tried his out, and had a very easy time with it. I have 11 years of carry under my belt (pun intended) but these duty holsters are a whole new world for me.

Today's my day. I desperately need to find one today. It is so hard to have time for anything during the week after the academy.

Any nearby suggestions would be appreciated (I do appreciate the online ones too, don't get me wrong).

Comment

not an LEO*

sounds like the first one you are describing is a safariland sls holster.

Comment

I think you are talking about a Safariland 6280, or Safariland Raptor Series. Both holsters are very good and i have used them for a few years. You can easily order them through Galls. Go to www.safariland.com You will be able to see which one you are looking for.

Comment

The holser you describe sounds like a level II Safariland 6280. We have it and I refuse to use it. First, simply taking your seat belt off can cause the thumb release to rock the self locking system forward. After a couple of weeks with the holster there were several times I exited my patrol car and had officers tell me my weapon was unsecure. Without any practice I was able to walk up to people who had the same holster and the sls was forward and easily pull the weapon out. I don't like the level II 6280 becasue I didn't feel safe with it. They have a level III which I have not tried.

Best advice I can give about equipment is use what works for you. Don't rely on what another officer or department says about something, check it out for yourself.
                      A Veteran is someone who at one point in their life wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America, for an amount up to, and including their life. That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact!

Comment

Originally posted by ray8285
                        The holser you describe sounds like a level II Safariland 6280. We have it and I refuse to use it. First, simply taking your seat belt off can cause the thumb release to rock the self locking system forward. After a couple of weeks with the holster there were several times I exited my patrol car and had officers tell me my weapon was unsecure. Without any practice I was able to walk up to people who had the same holster and the sls was forward and easily pull the weapon out. I don't like the level II 6280 becasue I didn't feel safe with it. They have a level III which I have not tried.

Best advice I can give about equipment is use what works for you. Don't rely on what another officer or department says about something, check it out for yourself.
                        I believe that is why my agency went with a raptor level 3 by safariland. When I ride in my car I have the weapon with the strap forward anyway so I can draw seatbelted in, you should try that if you haven't. When I step out I have in locked which really helps in a fight by keeping the gun locked in at a level 3. From the level 3 we are timed and required to draw and fire in less than 1/2 second. I am comfortable as hell with that kind of security and speed.
                        "Anyone is capable of anything"

"I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything I thought it could be".

-Peter Gibbons
                        Office Space

Comment

Well I found one and purchased it today. I am in love. Put it on my duty belt in the store and they let me play around for a while. Did about 30 draws with it and never missed a flip. This is by far the best holster I've ever tried.

Bianchi Accumold Speedbreak 7135

This thing is incredible. I won't describe the secondary feature in public. But I've done about 100 draws since I came home and I still have not missed a bit with this thing. The snap on top is secure, but easy for me to break. The tab is angled just right so my thumb hits it as I get a grip, without having to "aim" to hit it. And the secondary feature is so perfect, that the first time I drew the weapon I didn't even realize I was even releasing the secondary lock. Yet I explained it to my wife, and had her stand there and try to wrestle my gun from me (unloaded) and she could not, Then I explained how and let her calmly do it and still no

Comment

Safariland

My base issued out Safariland SLS 6004-series holsters, with the plastic frame that rotates forward. We are all required to wear this on our thighs (which is fine if standing, but is annoying in a vehicle, especially for a lefty like me). They are only Level I's and we are suppoed to draw and holster our Berettas 25 times before being authorized to carry this holster. I liked it downrange, but homestation, it's annoying. At least I can hook it to my BDU belt.
                            -SrA J Hughes
                            United States Air Force
                            Security Forces Patrolman
                            -Defensor Fortis-

-AMU Student: BA Criminal Justice

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10378 users online. 378 members and 10000 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                            X