300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Georgia Post Council

On June 14 2003 I was wrongfuly terminated by the Gwinnett County S.O. after being cleared in a internal affairs investigation. The former Chief Deputy terminated me and still to this day I cannot get a straight answer from Gwinnett County as to why I was fired. In the state of Georgia if a Law Enforecement Officer is terminated by a department that Officer will be placed under a Post Investigation. The Investigation is automatic and it is just something you have to accept. While I was under Post Investigation I was basicly blackballed no department would hire me under investigation even though my certification was still valid. This was a nightmare let me tell you , finally after 1 year and 3 months I was cleared by Post and I thought that I could put this behind me I was told by Post that the reason it took so long was that their was not enough Post Investigators. However If I pull up my training record on the Post website it states that I have had a Past Post Case and because of this I am constantly having to keep explaining what happened with Gwinnett County S.O. I do not think that this is fair , if I have been cleared and the case is over then I do not understand why it has to be displayed like that. It is already hard enough to get a job without having to deal with this. I am sure that I am not the only Georgia Officer who feels this way and if so please speak your mind freely on this matter. In my opinion the Past Post Case is my personal buisness and if I want someone to know about it I will tell them I was cleared and my certification is valid that is all that matters. I wonder if their is any way to stop this policy that Post has I am open for ideas thank you.
    STAND FOR SOMETHING OR FALL FOR ANYTHING .

I'm more curious as to what YOU are doing about it.

If your termination was without cause, did you appeal it to your civil service board or merit system? If not, why? If you did, what evidence did your employer present against you. Did they prevail? If so, why?

Now that POST has cleared you, what actions have you taken to get your job back? Have you sued for reinstatement or for unlawful termination? Have you asked your union or association for help? Did they provide it? If not, why?

I don't mean to sound unsympathetic. It's just that (I think) you have posted this message before and in those messages, it appears you have taken no action to defend your real interests in this matter. This is what attorneys are for. You really need to turn to them for help. They can advise you a lot better than we can. Plus, it's a lot easier to tell another agency that you were wrongfully terminated and that you sued your former employer and collected $XX,XXX dollars, than to say you were fired unjustly but just let it go and then have to explain why.
    Last edited by L-1; 10-26-2005, 02:03 AM.
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

I wish it was that simple but its not. I was terminated with in my probationary period so because of that the civil service board would not help me. Also my official termination ( was employee terminated with in his Probation period ). Georgia is not like California we are not a right to work State, We are a at will work State wich means your employer can screw you for no reason at all while you are under a probationary period I was a year into mine with one more to go. And I do not know of one Police agency in Georgia with a union, Gwinnett County S.O. did not have one. Now lets talk about Lawyers because Georgia is a at will State it is extremely hard to find a lawyer to take your case on top of that try to find one that is willing to sue County Goverment for you next to impossible unless you are loaded and I am not. I talked to several Lawyers the lowest quote that I received was 10,000 down are you kidding its not like I have that money just laying around some where. I tried to get some help from legal aid here in Georgia but because I was not a criminal they would not assist me. So its just not that easy , I cannot do anything about what happened. Gwinnett County under the current system in Georgia can get away with what they have done to me. I wish more than you know that I could hold them accountable for what they have put me through. But I do believe that the Georgia Post Council should not be showing Past Post Cases that have been cleared and are closed on my training record or anybodys training record. Because when you apply for a job that Past Post Case will bog you down in red tape and that is not fair and that is what I am addressing right now in this thread.
      Last edited by pateshane; 10-26-2005, 06:34 PM.

Comment

Have you talk to someone fro the Georgia FOP? When you are teminated in Georgia they will have to of filed with the Dept of Labor. I would go to a branch and look up your case. I could be wrong, but I know that their is someone you could talk to that you can find out why you were let go through the state.

When you say a lawyer would take the case. What case? One with the County or Post?

Comment

Yes I was a member of F.O.P. but they were not much help to me.
          From what I understand they were going to talk to the Sheriff about it. But this was at the same time that Chief Bolden resigned and the Sheriff stated to them that he was going to stand by the decision that Cheif Bolden made.
          I was told by the new Chief Deputy that the County Attorney assigned to the Sheriffs department advised the Sheriff it would not be a good idea to reverse any decision that the former Chief Deputy made because that would be addmitting a mistake was made and that I should have not been terminated.

I talked to several lawyers in the Atlanta area the lowest quote that I received was 10,000 up front to take the case. The reason being so high most Lawyers will not fight County Goverment in a wrongful termination suit. If it was racial or some other type of discrimination they would have jumped on it in my case they did not feel that I could win enough money.

I filed for unemployment and was issued it, Gwinnett County fought it but the Georgia of labor ruled in my favor and issued a wrongful termination ruling.

I did not use a Lawyer in my Post Case because I did not need one I had all the paper work showing that I was wrongfuly terminated by Gwinnett County S.O. a copy of the Investigation report that I was cleared in and copy of a passing evaluation and raise that I was given 5 days before I was terminated.

Comment

I would still go to every agencie that I could with all paper work and try to get hired. If can make an appiontment with each BI and talk with them. Go to Southeren Poloy Tech and apply with them. A friend of mine works there and said he had a problem from his former agencie and they hired him. They told him if he was cleared, then he was CLEARED!!! He said that it is a GREAT agencie. The only bad thing it pays $30.000 a year. Good Luck!!!!!!

Comment

Yeah that is about the only way to do it, you just have to be proactive with your job search. Here is a list of departments that would not hire me because I was terminated from Gwinnett County S.O. ( Marta Police , Gainesville Police , Dekalb County Police , Chatham County Sheriffs Office , Bibb County Sheriffs Office , Norcross Police ). I presented all of my paper work showing that I was cleared and it did not even matter. So you just have to keep plugging away I came close to saying the hell with Georgia and moving to Florida but I had my family to consider. All of the above departments discriminated against me but if you complain to Ga Post they do not care about it , they are to buisy wasting tax payer money on frivilous Post Investigations. They put my friend under Post Invetigation because he declined to accept a job offer from a department. This State needs some serious reform within the Georgia Peace Officer Training and Standards Council.

Comment

Hey man, My buddy at my dept recently got fired for some BS. Actually resigned in lieu of dismissal and hes having a hell of a time getting a job. Did you send POST a notarized statement of what happened and did you request a hearing? If so, were you put on probation? But anyways, if Gwinnett is giving you the run around on what happened. You need to go over to personnel(HR) and the S.O. and request copies of your personnel file and your IA file via the open records act. They have 3 days to respond to your request by Federal Law. At least you can get the story straight when you get interviewed by a L.E. Agency and have all of the documents ready that they're going to get anyways. I had my buddy do that and after reading all of the documents that the agency wrote badlt about him; it isn't lookin good for him. Were you a member of the PBA??? They're pretty good at looking out for their members and they specialize in grieveances, and provide free legal counsel for CIVIL and criminal cases.

Comment

Yes I sent all my paper work to Post and after the Investigation I was cleared. The Post Council dismissed my case and my certification is valid.

Gwinnett County will not cooperate with me at all. I wanted to know since I was cleared in the internal affairs investigation why was I terminated. Chief bolden terminated me and I tried to challenge the termination but the Sheriff would not meet with me.

What your friend is going through is exactly the kind of blackball activity that I have been complaining about. Here in Georgia agencies know that they can destroy your career because if they terminate you Post will place you under a Post Investigation and that is almost the worst thing that can happen to you. Also if they write a bunch of bad things about you they know that who ever you apply with will read it when they do their background on you and when that happens you will be judged before they even talk to you.

I had a interview with a department recently and it seems that some of the people in the room had already placed judgment on me before I stepped in the room. It was a tough interview and I am so sick of having to explain what happned with Gwinnett County and Post I feel that since I was cleared none of that should matter. I cannot help but feel that I have been condemed to deal with this as long as I live and that is really a sad feeling to have.

Comment

If I were you when I fill out a app. I would request a meeting with the Chief of that Dept and hand deliver the app personally and tell him what your all about. Request all of your document from Gwinnett via Open Records... They have to give them to you because you were a public official....By the way Flowery Branch is hiring... Did ya try them.

Comment

No I have not tried Flowery Branch , I just know that the closer that I am to Gwinnett County the majority of the departments side with them. Its been almost 3 years now and I am about ready to give up on Law Enforcement. I have the passion and the drive but I am so tired of being discriminated by departments in this State.

Comment

Just keep plugging away at it... I'm a persistant SOB, so I'd just go App crazy!

Comment

Don't give up! My husband went through 6 years of trying to get back in. Now he's with a WONDERFUL dept and he's gone farther than he EVER would have had he stayed where he was. There were so many times he said he was over it, but his heart is LE. You can't change what you are. Please don't give up now. Don't let the BS win.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7511 users online. 425 members and 7086 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X