300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fulton County Sheriff's Office Deputy Sheriff Questions

Hello there! I'm from Chicago, IL, and I work for the Cook County, IL Sheriff's Office. I'm looking to possibly transfer out of state, and one of the agencies that I applied for was the Fulton County Sheriff's Office. (I applied for Deputy Sheriff) Just wanted a little insight on department as far as morale, room for growth, etc. Any info is appreciated. Good department, or stay away like the plague?

P.S. What are the specific differences between the duties and powers of a Detention Officer and Deputy Sheriff? Can they both carry on/off duty 24-7 and after retirement? Are they both considered sworn Law Enforcement? As a Deputy Sheriff with the FCSO, are you just in the jail, or are there any patrol/street unit opportunities? And if so, is it something you can go straight into, or is there a minimum amount of time you have to do inside the jail? Can you "fairly" get into a street unit, or is it a "juice" spot? I'm dealing with that type of unfair nonsense in Chicago where it's all about who you know, and I'm trying to avoid that as much as possible.

P.P.S. Would anyone happen to know if an IL certification can transfer to GA? Once again, thank you for any answers that can be provided, and as always, stay safe.

Morale is extremely poor, jail is extremely understaffed. Was under Federal mandate, unsure if they still are. Inmates are able to let themselves out of their cells in some areas. This has been in the news multiple times. When I worked the street (Detective now) I wouldn't tell the arrestee where we were going (City Jail vs Fulton) as they were more inclined to fight if they thought they were going to County.

You will be in the jail for YEARS before even being considered for the street or courts.

Consider somewhere like Oconee County Sheriff's Dept. They do everything.
    Judge me by the enemies I have made----Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by Zeitgeist View Post
      Morale is extremely poor, jail is extremely understaffed. Was under Federal mandate, unsure if they still are. Inmates are able to let themselves out of their cells in some areas. This has been in the news multiple times. When I worked the street (Detective now) I wouldn't tell the arrestee where we were going (City Jail vs Fulton) as they were more inclined to fight if they thought they were going to County.

You will be in the jail for YEARS before even being considered for the street or courts.

Not to mention the fact that the jail is in a less-than-desirable neighborhood. Every time I have to go there for a transport, I unsnap as soon as I come off of 85.

Just saying.
      There once was a man who said: "Though,
      it seems that I know that I know,
      what I'd like to see is the I that knows me,
      when I know that I know that I know."

- Alan Watts

Comment

LMAO! Sounds a lot like where I work now! Thanks for the heads up!

Comment

Basically!!!!! Stay away!!!! LOL

Comment

Oconee, Gwinnett, Henry, Cobb, and Douglas are all WAY ahead of Fulton. Not all are full service (most metro counties have their own PD's) so that's something else to consider.
            Originally posted by Ceridwen
            Just one would be stingy of me, I'd have to get two. For the children.

Comment

Originally posted by Zeitgeist View Post

I find it funny what you say about so. What about apd's morale? Lol. . Its not any better if not worse.
              APD is just as understaffed. z4/z3 morning watch, crime scene techs, etc. I can keep going..

Comment

Id follow a car 20 miles just to stop it outside Fulton County

Every time I have to go to the jail ill look at the staff like wait, didn't I just lock you up?
                Originally posted by Rudy8116
                The only reason I have one in the chamber at all times is because it is impossible to have two in.

Originally posted by CruiserClass
                OC is my last option. I've never met anyone immune to electricity or physics.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3351 users online. 222 members and 3129 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X