Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Athens-Clarke Co. PD/Sheriff DP Looking for recruits

Athens-Clarke Co. is looking for cops.

I've put the packet together and am waiting to do this "Compass Exam" equivalency test.

How long should I expect to wait after turning the application in around here?

I may go back to PD and hound this detective some more. Should I begin an AS in Criminal Justice or hold out until after I am employed by the agency?

I have got some mixed advice on the CJ degree, do it, don't do it, ect... One officer said do something you can use after your out of the force... That doesn't even add up.
    Last edited by TDuncan86; 09-11-2014, 09:01 AM.

For Athens, after you turn all the stuff in it takes about a month to hear back and they'll schedule you for a PAT. After that things move pretty quickly, background, poly, etc. As for the college degree there's positives and negatives. No doubt it will help later in your career if you want to move into management, but its not necessary to get hired. I've always been told it doesn't matter what your degree is in, but just find something you enjoy.

Comment

Originally posted by TDuncan86 View Post
      I have got some mixed advice on the CJ degree, do it, don't do it, ect... One officer said do something you can use after your out of the force... That doesn't even add up.
      It adds up perfectly. The police academy and your agency will teach you how to be a cop. They don't need a college professor telling you how to do that. On the other hand, careers are extremely competitive and difficult to come by. Also, it is extremely easy to lose your career forever. If you get permanently injured, you're done. If you find yourself on the wrong end of a situation, you're done.

By getting your degree in something OTHER than criminal justice, you have something to fall back on if you need it. I wholeheartedly agree that a CJ degree is a waste of money for someone who wants to be an officer.
      Sign here. Press hard. You are making five copies.

Comment

Well that is hilarious ATLCop. Thank you, I'll keep working on the credentials.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5753 users online. 338 members and 5415 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X