300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Savannah Chatham Police Department

Hey, I am just curious if anyone has info on this department. I'm curious about the pay scale since they only mention starting pay, do they get take home cars? is the area nice to move into if i get accepted? Hows the department morale? Is it a busy department? Thanks.

I went to the academy in Savannah in 09 and can answer a few of your questions, though things may have changed since then. There are take homes if you live in the county, but it usually takes 2-3 years to get one. If you want to live in the city, you will have to pick between affordable and nasty or nice and very expensive. The farther out you get, the cheaper housing becomes. They can also be very busy, but, like most places, a lot of it is BS. Pros of Metro is they do a lot of in house training, the pay isn't bad, there is lots of room for advancement, and they are the largest PD in the state south of Macon. Cons: there is a lot of corruption, bad policies that have possibly changed, but doubt it (i.e. can only carry one pair of cuffs on you, strict limited chase policy rather than trusting officers, etc), and worst of all is the attitude of the department. They try to humiliate recruits by making them do PT in dress clothes at the mall PCT where everyone can see, and they look down on every other agency in the area. I work for a small agency in DeKalb County and the PD here treats us like fellow cops since they know a cop is a cop, regardless of your patch, and you never know which agency will be the closest when you are screaming for help. Oh, and metro cheap (lack of tasers, lack of computers in cars, few dash cams, no mobile radios so everything is done on your portable).
    Originally posted by Ceridwen
    Just one would be stingy of me, I'd have to get two. For the children.

Comment

Originally posted by dontknowwhy View Post
      I went to the academy in Savannah in 09 and can answer a few of your questions, though things may have changed since then. There are take homes if you live in the county, but it usually takes 2-3 years to get one. If you want to live in the city, you will have to pick between affordable and nasty or nice and very expensive. The farther out you get, the cheaper housing becomes. They can also be very busy, but, like most places, a lot of it is BS. Pros of Metro is they do a lot of in house training, the pay isn't bad, there is lots of room for advancement, and they are the largest PD in the state south of Macon. Cons: there is a lot of corruption, bad policies that have possibly changed, but doubt it (i.e. can only carry one pair of cuffs on you, strict limited chase policy rather than trusting officers, etc), and worst of all is the attitude of the department. They try to humiliate recruits by making them do PT in dress clothes at the mall PCT where everyone can see, and they look down on every other agency in the area. I work for a small agency in DeKalb County and the PD here treats us like fellow cops since they know a cop is a cop, regardless of your patch, and you never know which agency will be the closest when you are screaming for help. Oh, and metro cheap (lack of tasers, lack of computers in cars, few dash cams, no mobile radios so everything is done on your portable).
      Thanks for the reply, that almost makes me not want to continue with my application. Hopefully some of the things you stated aren't relevant anymore with this department.

Comment

I work as a reserve officer for Savannah now. I use to be a full time officer. To be honest, the department is just like any other department. It has it's good and bad. The department is moving in the right direction. New Chief to be hired soon. The pay is decent for the area but could be better. Pay starts out at around 34,000 with no degree and 37,000 with a degree or previous experience. You tap out around 49,000. Sgt. is from 51,000 to 59,000. Etc. Each rank increase has a 10,000 pay scale associated with it. We have plenty of specialized areas. As many as any large department. Take home cars are another issue. Typically it takes like 2.5 years to receive a take home car that can only be used in the county. But that wait time me be decreasing due to the new influx of vehicles. Great place to get experience and if you can deal with the few negative aspects of the department, then it could be a great place to have a career. It's all about your prospective.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5971 users online. 306 members and 5665 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X