300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conflicted...

Long story short I applied to Gwinnett PD and passed their PT test but got deferred to the next academy due to my age(under 21). My investigator told me the next academy is in November.

I am also looking into the preservice academy at Reinhardt which starts in August.

My question is this, should I hold out for Gwinnett PD (have not gotten to the oral interview yet) and skip Reinhardt's academy? Or should I go to the preservice academy and apply for better paying departments such as Johns Creek, Sandy Springs, and Dunwoody?

My only real pull towards Gwinnett PD is that they have a lot more special units available (Aviation, Gangs, Motors, ect..) versus a lot of the north-Fulton Agencies.

Go pre-service and get hired by GCPD as certified
    Originally posted by Ceridwen
    Just one would be stingy of me, I'd have to get two. For the children.

Comment

GCPD won't hire you as a lateral without experience.

Even with experience they often make them attend the full academy (a co worker had to do this despite having 5 yrs + w/ APD). He stayed about a year and then came back.

The depts that you mentioned are extremely competitive and usually hire POST certified w/ years of experience.

Apply to several large departments if this appeals to you. Atlanta, Dekalb in addition to Gwinnett. Work there, get experience and then apply to Dunwoody, Sandy Springs, Johns Creek, Brookhaven, etc.
      Judge me by the enemies I have made----Unknown

Comment

Zeitgeist is right!! Plus you will learn how to be the police before you go to one of those smaller better paying agencies.

Comment

Originally posted by Zeitgeist View Post
          GCPD won't hire you as a lateral without experience.

Even with experience they often make them attend the full academy (a co worker had to do this despite having 5 yrs + w/ APD). He stayed about a year and then came back.

The depts that you mentioned are extremely competitive and usually hire POST certified w/ years of experience.

Apply to several large departments if this appeals to you. Atlanta, Dekalb in addition to Gwinnett. Work there, get experience and then apply to Dunwoody, Sandy Springs, Johns Creek, Brookhaven, etc.
          ^This.

You practically don't stand a chance with any of those agencies, except for maybe Dunwoody, as pre-service. Brookhaven is currently staffed with a lot of former GCPD guys and gals. My suggestion is for you to be patient and attend Gwinnett's academy. Get 3-5 years road experience and then start looking at those agencies. You'll be WAY more competitive. Besides, you may find out that you genuinely like Gwinnett.
          There once was a man who said: "Though,
          it seems that I know that I know,
          what I'd like to see is the I that knows me,
          when I know that I know that I know."

- Alan Watts

Comment

I know a few Reinhardt grads who got hired on by Johns Creek, Alpharetta, Roswell, Sandy Springs. Keep in mind those Chiefs sit on the board for Reinhardt Police academy. So you do stand a chance. Check into Reinhardt

Comment

If you can get hired by Gwinnett, you shouldn't pass that up. The quality of training will far surpass anything you will receive at a regional academy. Spend some time with the department and get some good experience in a busy area. If you feel Gwinnett isn't right and you want to make a change, you will have a much better chance of getting hired after spending that time with Gwinnett. Places like Brookhaven, Dunwoody, and Sandy Springs cull from the ranks of Gwinnnet. They aren't as interested in an inexperienced officer with very basic training.
              "Watch your thoughts, for they become words.
              Watch your words, for they become actions.
              Watch your actions, for they become habits.
              Watch your habits, for they become character.
              Watch your character, for it becomes your destiny.”

Comment

NoWingedAngel,

As of now Dunwoody will not hire anyone without experience...

wsvjr,

If Gwinnett will hire you, why would you go to Reinhardt as preservice without pay?
                Just a thought... I would wait to see if you can get hired first...If not then go presrevice
                Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sydney J. Harris

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6249 users online. 346 members and 5903 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X