300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smyrna Marshal

I was on Windy Hill today and I saw a all white f-150 with a solid black stripe that wrapped around the truck with white lettering that said Smyrna Marshal. I didn't know Smyrna had a marshals office. I couldn't find anything online about them and the city website doesn't list the department. Is this something new that they've started? I can't imagine it being a very big department I wouldn't think more than 2-3 people. I just thought it was interesting and that I'd share it with ya'll.

It seems I'm noticing more governments with marshals also. I didn't know Cherokee County had one either. I don't really understand the need for them to be LEOs, but sure why not. It seems the majority of the marshals I have seen overlap with some other department/office.

Comment

Maybe its just another excuse for the government to create another organization that'll be around till the end of time. To me if you have a sherrif's office then why in the heck do you need another department that has the same baisic responsibilities?

Comment

I don't know. Not to mention they have code enforcement officers too and that seems to be a large part of a marshal's job also. I really don't get the position.

The county marshal's where I live are also responsible for park security which can easily be handled by the SO.

Comment

In some jurisdictions, the Marshal's Department handles civil papers and warrants and some court security too.

I know that in the City of Roswell, the Marshal's Department serves city warrants, serves city papers, and also is responsible for city court security. I think they have like 5-6 people (all sworn and certified) over there including the Marshal himself. The City of Roswell also has it's own Code Enforcement Department which is made up of several non sworn personnel.

Whereas, in the City of St. Marys, the City Marshal was sworn, but only really handled Code Enforcement function and could write tickets for violations. At present, they do not have a City Marshal due to the budget, but I hear that whenever they hire one again, they were talking about making it a non sworn position to save a little money.

Comment

Oh, not only do we have a Marshal's office in Fayette there is a Constable's position that does primarily what Code10-15 described for Roswell... they also do evictions.

At least we don't have a county PD.

Comment

Fayette County PD....coming a neighborhood near you

I also think its funny that they have these city organizations but city websites have no information regarding the department, or even that it exists.

Comment

County PD is the best way to go

Comment

Originally posted by J-Rock View Post
                  County PD is the best way to go
                  Now that's just an ignorant statement to make...

But since you said it.. can you explain it?

Comment

I actually prefer Sherrif offices myself to handle the county business. County PD's are just another way for politicians to dable with control over the PD

Comment

Jannino, the Marshal's Office in Fayette County also enforces fish and game laws. They are the code enforcement for the County, and are called to handle anything on County property. Oh, they also serve Animal Control cites that AC cannot serve.

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
                        Jannino, the Marshal's Office in Fayette County also enforces fish and game laws. They are the code enforcement for the County, and are called to handle anything on County property. Oh, they also serve Animal Control cites that AC cannot serve.
                        Yes, sir.. they patrol the parks regularly also. I had the privilege of talking with one for a few minutes a couple months ago. Very laid back and squared away, IMO. He spotted me parked at the lake with a out of county tag.. made polite conversation to investigate why I was there. Ended up letting my little get in the truck and turn the lights and siren on!

I have nothing against taking those guys and putting them under the SO to get more use out of them. There is no need for a separate entity that is clearly limited in their functions.
                        Last edited by jannino; 06-04-2011, 10:45 PM.

Comment

"ignorant" ...yeah, I'll rise above that. Moving on. It was just a provocative statement considering my employer. Don't let this forum get the better of you. All in fun.

Comment

The job descriptions and duties of marshals vary widely. There is a provision of state law that authorizes marshals via local legislation. This means that the scope and function of a marshal is determined by how it is worded in each specific peace of local legislation.

Marshals may or may not be sworn peace officers. In some places, they just substitute the term marshal for that of code enforcement.

As for marshals serving civil papers and warrants, it's one thing for them to function on the municipal level for the municipal courts, but there is no need for it on the county level as those functions should be handled by the Sheriff's Office.

As for the county PD issue, no offense intended at all towards county PD officers, but the sole reason for county PDs to exist is give the commissioners control over law enforcement. Since the change in the law requiring a public vote to create a county PD, no county in GA has created one. All 12 existing county PDs are pure political creations. Again, that isn't a swipe at the actual county PD officers.

Comment

As for the county PD issue, no offense intended at all towards county PD officers, but the sole reason for county PDs to exist is give the commissioners control over law enforcement. Since the change in the law requiring a public vote to create a county PD, no county in GA has created one. All 12 existing county PDs are pure political creations. Again, that isn't a swipe at the actual county PD officers.[/QUOTE]

I agree completely, it's just another way for them to manipulate control, and really at the expense of the people. As with county PD's the people no longer have a say in how their public safety department is being managed/mismanaged. At the end of the day were all tired of seeing a new police cheif every 4 years only for him to be exactly like the last one, a puppet for the mayor/county council. With a Sherrif at least you have a say at the end of the year if you think he's doing a good job or not.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3684 users online. 202 members and 3482 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X