300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OPINION window tint question

Ok. I have read the law, re-read the law, been told 100 different things etc.

My question is, would you as a GA officer write a ticket for suspected rear window tint violation?
    Here is a pic. This is a Prius with 35% front and 5% rear. Per GA law, would you cite this driver if the front windows were legal?

Basically, would *most* officers in your professional opinion allow rear tinting that might not be legal if they could see the driver/the front was legal?

image hosting

Here is another exemple. No tint in the front and 5% rear.

hosting images
    Last edited by superspeeder; 05-27-2011, 06:05 PM.

According to most states a car can only have 35% all the way around. The vehicles above would be in violation. If they were vans, trucks, or SUV's, they would be fine. Enforcement would be at the officers discretion. Of course in some states the example may be completely legal.

Comment

Originally posted by SRTMO View Post
      According to most states a car can only have 35% all the way around. The vehicles above would be in violation. If they were vans, trucks, or SUV's, they would be fine. Enforcement would be at the officers discretion. Of course in some states the example may be completely legal.
      Would you say its usually a main foucs? Like does an officer go to work today and say im gonna write as many tint tickets as I can? (if its a slow day). lol

Anytime you do something "illegal" you take a risk. I COMPLETLY understand this. Just trying to outweight the pros and cons. I want to go dark in the rear cause its REALLY hot in GA. It would keep my car cooler and provide some privacy for the kids and passangers in the back.

My father had a 2008 Silverado and he tinted the front windows 20% to match the rear privacy glass. I drove it to Atlanta Motor speedway and stopped to ask GSP to move the cones to an entrance (I guess they were providing some security) there was about 10 of em and they didnt say anything. He had the 2008 chevy with 20% tint for 1 year before he traded it. No issues with police. He was rear ended and officer never said anythingto him on the scene. Idk, I guess it is hit or miss with this type of stuff.

Comment

In Arizona, the front windows can't be darker than 33%, plus or minus 3% (don't ask, because I don't know). But the back windows, including the rear window, can be as dark as they like as long as the vehicle is equipped with side-view mirrors on both sides.

Seeing as we in Arizona have 300+ days of sunshine, and it's hotter than hades for six months out of the year, we see lots of illegal tinting on the front windows and often the windshields. Like superspeeder was getting at (I think), each officer has his/her own set of pet violations. I definitely had this one in my tool chest because it was an easy stop when I saw a warrant-mobile rolling down the highway. And I always kept photocopies of the actual statute, with the relevant portions underlined, to avoid the arguments that always came up ("I bought it this way," "Why would they put the tint on there if it was illegal," "So-and-so told me the legal limit was 20%," etc.).

For my part, I rarely gave people a hard time about it unless it was over-the-top too dark. If it looked like it was close, I'd pull out the tint meter, both to sharpen my eye for the illegal stuff, and to do a little education with the violators. My department considers it an "equipment violation," so I'd usually issue a Repair Order in lieu of a cite and call it good.
        "I swear by my life, and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for the sake of mine." -John Galt

Comment

Well I went today and got my car tinted. 40% front and 5% rear. Time will tell.....

image upload

Comment

where in GA do you live?

Some jurisdictions are known for writing tint cites. The majority could careless. I have had blacked out windows on all my cars for years and I've only received a ticket for it once.. it was not the main reason for being pulled over either. I will NEVER have a car without dark tint. It makes a huge difference with the sun bothering you. My little one takes most of his naps in the car and those window shades don't stand a chance of staying up with my monster.

I understand the dangerous job officers have and I know they have to do things to stay safe, but the window tint law is a little much. There are many options to make sure you can see in the car before you approach.

Just be prepared if you get a ticket and own up to it. And out of respect for officer safety, if you do get pulled over... roll your windows down and turn on your interior lights. And of course, keep your hands on the steering wheel.

Comment

Originally posted by superspeeder View Post
              Well I went today and got my car tinted. 40% front and 5% rear. Time will tell.....

Then why did you ask the question?

On a side note...man that thing is ugly!
              Ignore List : Bearcat357, Blackavar

Comment

Originally posted by jannino View Post
                where in GA do you live?

Some jurisdictions are known for writing tint cites. The majority could careless. I have had blacked out windows on all my cars for years and I've only received a ticket for it once.. it was not the main reason for being pulled over either. I will NEVER have a car without dark tint. It makes a huge difference with the sun bothering you. My little one takes most of his naps in the car and those window shades don't stand a chance of staying up with my monster.

I understand the dangerous job officers have and I know they have to do things to stay safe, but the window tint law is a little much. There are many options to make sure you can see in the car before you approach.

Just be prepared if you get a ticket and own up to it. And out of respect for officer safety, if you do get pulled over... roll your windows down and turn on your interior lights. And of course, keep your hands on the steering wheel.
                Thanks for the tips. I will usually be driving in Bulloach County.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffaloboy View Post
                  Then why did you ask the question?

On a side note...man that thing is ugly!
                  Cause I wanted to know the answer...

Comment

Originally posted by superspeeder View Post
                    Thanks for the tips. I will usually be driving in Bulloach County.
                    Don't even know where that is

Comment

Don't even know where that is
                      about 45 min west from Savannah off I-16...Georgia Southern University

Comment

where in GA do you live?

AFAIK, tint laws were put into place to protect drivers and law enforcement. It's so I can see you when I pull you over, and so the driver can see outside the vehicle.
                        "Naw officer, I was hanging with my cousin"

"Sooo, real cousin or play cousins ?"

Originally posted by JasperST
                        I'm thinking a battalion of menstruating bearded women could kick some serious booty!

Comment

Originally posted by USMARINE View Post
                          AFAIK, tint laws were put into place to protect drivers and law enforcement. It's so I can see you when I pull you over, and so the driver can see outside the vehicle.
                          yes. Very true. Thats why the front is 40%. An officer can see me and I can see out

Comment

Here's his other post regarding his tint and his attitude...

http://forums.officer.com/forums/sho...t=#post2757813
                            Ignore List : Bearcat357, Blackavar

Comment

So we ask the same question twice in one month because the last time you didn't like the answers and got butthurt? Hmmm, me thinks you will be getting paper and lots of it, especially in a Prius lol.
                              "Naw officer, I was hanging with my cousin"

"Sooo, real cousin or play cousins ?"

Originally posted by JasperST
                              I'm thinking a battalion of menstruating bearded women could kick some serious booty!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3136 users online. 174 members and 2962 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X