300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA Capitol Police

Sorry for posting two threads so close together, but I was wondering if anyone knows anything about the GA Capitol Police. The DPS website says they are hiring for Cpl positions, but it seems like that is the only position they hire. Can someone share some insite?
    Originally posted by Ceridwen
    Just one would be stingy of me, I'd have to get two. For the children.

I see them around occasionally in my zone. There don't seem to be alot of them, I always see the exact same 4 guys, on morning watch hours anyways. The guy I talked to said they have jurisdiction in the whole city.

Not to talk down about the department seeing how I don't work for them, but I've never seen them do anything. The guys I see are always hanging out at the same gas station and I've done traffic stops across from them on multiple occasions and they've never so much as stopped by to see if everything was okay. I also know that if you're going to work in atlanta I wouldn't work for what they get paid.

I've also notived that everytime I've seen them they're always wearing a tie and the plastic shiny shoes, I'm not sure if that's a uniform requirement or not but it seems like it.

Comment

When I was going to GA State, I never saw them do anything either. They work hand in hand with GSP. I even think the management of the Capitol police are GSP troopers.

They may have statewide jurisdiction, but I'm sure they're restricted to state owned property and the immediate surroundings. There isn't much to get into immediately surrounding the Capitol, IMO.

Comment

Jannino is right about their management. I know one of their Sgt. that is a Trooper and previously worked at a post. From what I've been told, they pretty much let the officers do what they want. If they want to do building security they can do that or get out and do traffic enforcement. One of the officers was shot last year while busting a chop shop nearby with GSP. They have motor units, etc. and used to send recruits to regional academies (not sure what they do now).

IMO it is a good way to get your foot in the door, but like marauder said I wouldn't work in Atlanta for what they get paid.

Comment

Originally posted by free agent View Post
          Jannino is right about their management. I know one of their Sgt. that is a Trooper and previously worked at a post. From what I've been told, they pretty much let the officers do what they want. If they want to do building security they can do that or get out and do traffic enforcement. One of the officers was shot last year while busting a chop shop nearby with GSP. They have motor units, etc. and used to send recruits to regional academies (not sure what they do now).

IMO it is a good way to get your foot in the door, but like marauder said I wouldn't work in Atlanta for what they get paid.
          I forgot all about that. You're so right though. I believe he was responding to a request for backup from a trooper. The chop shop was discovered after the fact.

Comment

One of my buds use to work for them.

They sent him through the Clayton Regional Police Academy. He pretty much made it seem like you can do whatever you want as long as you answer the few calls that they do get. He was a very proactive Officer there and got into quite a bit. He said he would even sometimes assist Atlanta PD units on calls if they were alone or assist GSP.

The actual position is called Police Corporal. Once you complete FTO and are on your own, you are a Police Corporal. He was hired for the Police Corporal position and was known as a "recruit" until he finished training, similar to GSP. The Capitol Police are a branch of GSP and follow many of the same guidelines and procedures. They are required to wear the high gloss duty gear and campaign hats. They are issued the Glock .45 GAP and backup Glock .45 GAP. I believe they are also issued AR-15's once they qualify with it. They have digital radios and MDTs in the cars. No take home car unless you are on the honor guard, or some other kind of similar unit.

My bud pretty much said that especially on night shift, it can either be as busy or as slow as you want it to be. You can either go out and run traffic or just hang around and check the buildings and answer any calls that may come in. He also said that during the day time they assist with traffic direction while people leave for the day from the capitol building. He also stated that they are responsible for crowd control during certain events pertaining to the Capitol. He stated that they have state arrest powers, but generally limit their jurisdiction/patrol area to state property and buildings and any roadways that lead to and from state property/buildings. He stated that because of this, they are able to get out on the Interstate and run traffic (cant remember which one(s) ). I remember him telling me that they have a motorcycle unit so that is something that motivated Officers are able to get on.

Since the Capitol is right in the middle of one of the worst parts of ATL, there are many perps that drive through their patrol area so there is a lot of opportunity for criminal enforcement.

He made it seem like a decent place to get a foot in the door or even a good place for someone that is a vet and looking to calm down from a million calls a day. However the starting pay is far below what surrounding agencies make. It also seems like a good place to get a start to get a spot on the list for Trooper school. I believe he stated that all you have to do is request to be put on the list for Trooper school and you can go (I may be wrong).

If I can think of any thing else I'll let you know. I am not sure if my bud comes on these forums anymore, so I figured id give you as much help as I could.

Comment

Thanks 10-15. Since going to the college pd, I have been going a little crazy from lack of stuff going on. So much so that I have applied with several departments (including your old one) as a reserve. CP seems interesting and I like working for the state, but would hate taking a pay cut considering it will be ATL. I really appreciate the info and will keep my eye on it.
              Originally posted by Ceridwen
              Just one would be stingy of me, I'd have to get two. For the children.

Comment

Currently employed there.

Im currently a Capitol Police Officer, and i can tell you one thing that you cant judge our department and how it operates based on out morning watch, our morning watch is filled with veterans who dont care to try to get into all that much. The other shifts are completely different. Im currently our K9 Unit. Its a good lace to work bc you can stay as busy as YOU want. we do get calls but not many. Alot of our guys run a ton of traffic enforcement. The pay is not great we start out just shy of 34K a year. We no longer offer a pension to new employees, new employees receive a 401K. We have great equipment and cureently every officer is assigned an almost new patrol car, that you CANNOT drive home unless you are some type of specialized unit. They are currently trying to get the take home cars back. Our jurisdiction falls under that of the Georgia Dept of Public Safety. There are three divisions under the DPS ourselves and GSP and Motor Carrier Compliance Division. If you have any questions PM me

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3505 users online. 204 members and 3301 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X