300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanting Whitfield County Sheriff Info

I've been considering this department for employment now that I'm 21 and they really don't have any online resources for employment information. I have a WCSO deputy who lives next door but I've only spoke with him once so I don't want to just go asking a ton of questions. I'd love to know about the physical requirements/PFT, salary and basic qualifications for this department. Any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

You aren't on speaking terms with your neighbor? Does the Sheriff's Office have a telephone? Do you? Can you call them and ask?

How about approaching your neighbor with an offer.. perhaps something like this... i am interested in becoming a LEO when you have time I would love to pick your brain about your agency over a few beers

Comment

I emailed them a while back about employment. They stated that even if you are a certified LEO, you MUST work in the jail until you earn enough seniority to go to the road. So it sounds like if you did get hired there you will work in the jail for a couple of years. They said that there are already certified people in the jail who are waiting their turn to go to the road.

The last time I checked, the jail and patrol work 12 hour shifts, 7 days on 7 days off. Doesn't sound that bad at all!

I have no clue about whether it's a good agency to work for or what the call volume is like. In all my trips passing through their I-75 jurisdiction, I never did see them out there working. I only remember seeing county patrol cars driving some of the local roads. There are several small Police Departments in Whitfield county that I have seen out working. I even remember seeing some small PD working on the Interstate.

Best of luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Code10-15 View Post
        The last time I checked, the jail and patrol work 12 hour shifts, 7 days on 7 days off. Doesn't sound that bad at all!
        That's the first I have ever heard of a set up like that. I don't know if I like it or not?

Comment

That sucks... 7 12 hr days is killer
          I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

I agree. I know a dept that does 5/2 2/5 with 12's but they are really small and have maybe 2 or 3 calls a shift, rest is working traffic.
            Originally posted by Ceridwen
            Just one would be stingy of me, I'd have to get two. For the children.

Comment

Nah, the neighbor is fine and I have mentioned my interest to him and had a short 5 min discussion and he even said if I need anything feel free but I'm not too fond of just knocking on someones door and blasting away with questions. I suppose I'm using the easy way out rather than put forth the effort to make phone calls.

That sucks you must be in the jail a while before hitting the road. Seems like Dalton may be a more enjoyable option, but we can't be too picky can we

Comment

Originally posted by dontknowwhy View Post
                I agree. I know a dept that does 5/2 2/5 with 12's but they are really small and have maybe 2 or 3 calls a shift, rest is working traffic.
                You wouldn't happen to be talking about St. Marys PD would you?

Comment

Originally posted by TLM4590 View Post
                  That sucks you must be in the jail a while before hitting the road.
                  That's how it is for a large majority of SO's around the nation.

Comment

Originally posted by jannino View Post
                    That's how it is for a large majority of SO's around the nation.
                    I guess I figured that's what all the 18-20 yr old's did before being of age to go on patrol :-P

Comment

Nope. Gotta earn your bones in the jail.

It's an excellent place to learn how to deal with folks. You cant beat the experience.

Originally posted by TLM4590 View Post
                      I guess I figured that's what all the 18-20 yr old's did before being of age to go on patrol :-P

Comment

There aren't a whole lot people under the age of 21 in LE whether it be the jail or the road...Or at least anyone who makes it for more than a few months. I did happen to be an exception and started working in the jail for Roswell PD at the age of 18. Over there you MUST be 21 before you can go to the road. I ended up putting myself through the police academy at age 19 while still working midnights in the jail due to being so motivated.

Now I am 21 and have been on the road for a little over a year and currently work for a Sheriff's Office down in Southeast Georgia (down here they will put the right candidate on the road before 21, I came here at age 20).

I started out with a smaller PD (30 officers) when I got out of the academy and worked there for exactly one year. It just wasn't my idea of LE. I now work for the Sheriff's Office in that county, and couldn't be happier. More my idea of LE.

The only thing I can strongly suggest to you is to not be like me an hop around several agencies in only a 3 year period. That could possibly bite me in the butt later down the road. Do your research and find the department that best fits what you want to do and go there and stay there.

Have you considered looking into Bradley County SO just above you in Tennessee or even the city PD, Cleveland PD? It seems like those two places might have a little bit more going on than dalton or whitfield.

Comment

Have you considered looking into Bradley County SO just above you in Tennessee or even the city PD, Cleveland PD? It seems like those two places might have a little bit more going on than dalton or whitfield.
                          I've considered the Hamilton and Bradley county areas because they seem to have quite a bit of opportunity but with Chattanooga city and Bradley county you must be a Tennessee resident and from what I've head from a lot of LEO's (including 11b101ab now) that jails are great places to get people skills while in the comfort of a jail.

I would prefer Dalton itself over most departments in the area due to the payscale being the best in the area. http://daltonpdblog.typepad.com/dalt...mpensation.pdf But I primarily want to just get my foot in the door anywhere I can so I can get my career started, I intend on applying to several departments and hopefully get a hit. I'm all ears to any suggestions but I've got a couple things to work on before applying to any, physical fitness is acceptable but I want better and I'm still working on getting my GED.

Comment

There aren't a whole lot people under the age of 21 in LE whether it be the jail or the road...Or at least anyone who makes it for more than a few months. I did happen to be an exception and started working in the jail for Roswell PD at the age of 18. Over there you MUST be 21 before you can go to the road. I ended up putting myself through the police academy at age 19 while still working midnights in the jail due to being so motivated.

Now I am 21 and have been on the road for a little over a year and currently work for a Sheriff's Office down in Southeast Georgia (down here they will put the right candidate on the road before 21, I came here at age 20).

I started out with a smaller PD (30 officers) when I got out of the academy and worked there for exactly one year. It just wasn't my idea of LE. I now work for the Sheriff's Office in that county, and couldn't be happier. More my idea of LE.

The only thing I can strongly suggest to you is to not be like me an hop around several agencies in only a 3 year period. That could possibly bite me in the butt later down the road. Do your research and find the department that best fits what you want to do and go there and stay there.

I remember seeing your posts throughout the years. I'm glad that you made it and you're doing well. Congrats.

Comment

I was wondering where you had been at. I went to your old PD a few weeks ago for training and they said they had a few openings but I had already went to the college PD. I'm glad you're liking the SO. PM me if you want to talk.
                              Originally posted by Ceridwen
                              Just one would be stingy of me, I'd have to get two. For the children.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6450 users online. 349 members and 6101 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X