300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about Cobb/Gwinnette County Police Department

I'm currently a county cop in Maryland between Baltimore and DC and looking to the Atlanta Metro Area. I'm wondering what the difference between the two different counties. I'm a county officer now and enjoy working in a comparable environment.

My questions are:
    What are the pensions programs like?
    How many years are you required to work before you can retire?
    Are you assigned a PVSP (Take home car)
    What is the work schedule for patrol?
    Is pay comparable to the area?

I can help with a few... both are great departments, by the way.

Here is Cobb's website (if you haven't already been there).. they have retirement info on there.. http://police.cobbcountyga.gov/join.htm

Cobb does not give take homes to patrol. They work 8 hours shifts 5 days a week.

Gwinnett does offer take home cars with restrictions... that's about all I know..

Good luck in whatever you decide

Comment

Originally posted by HOCO-5-0 View Post
      I'm currently a county cop in Maryland between Baltimore and DC and looking to the Atlanta Metro Area. I'm wondering what the difference between the two different counties. I'm a county officer now and enjoy working in a comparable environment.

My questions are:
      What are the pensions programs like?
      How many years are you required to work before you can retire?
      Are you assigned a PVSP (Take home car)
      What is the work schedule for patrol?
      Is pay comparable to the area?
      Gwinnett no longer had a pension program, it's all done with 401 based savings.
      Retirement, I believe, is 65 yoa.
      Gwinnett is assigned take home vehicles that can be taken up to 15 miles out of the county.
      Gwinnett is on a set 6 on 3 off schedule
      The pay in the area is comparable. You're looking at around late 30's to early 40's starting around the Metro area.

www.gwinnettpolicejobs.com

Gwinnett is currently under a hiring freeze until December, I believe.
      Last edited by GCFox; 03-23-2011, 07:57 PM. Reason: forgot an answer.
      The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence...sigpic

Comment

I forgot to add...

You can live decently in both of those counties on an officer's salary.

Comment

Hi Guys, all I have is a college degree and no criminal record. Are there any any PD's accepting apps without being POST certified? All I've got is a 4 yr college & no criminal record....thats about it.

Comment

Does Gwinnett still waive the written test for prior Military?

Comment

There are numerous agencies to work for in the 18 county Atlanta Metro area. Why are you narrowing yourself to Gwinnett and Cobb only?

Comment

Try Fulton County PD, Henry County PD, Clayton County PD, in the metro area. The only agency that has take homes is Henry but you have to live in the county. Fulton has take homes only for some specialties. Clayton has take homes depending on what year it is. Currently the take homes were taken away....again.
                God created some police officers perfect, the rest he put in cars.

Comment

Dont forget Dekalb, Cherokee, and Forsyth Counties.

Comment

I just realized he wanted a comparable county, but we don't know what his county is like. You don't need to give the specific county but a little demographics/crime would be nice.

Comment

Yes, that is very true. Then again, I'm way out the box with my comparisons also. Dekalb 150 murders a year. Forsyth 0.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4507 users online. 252 members and 4255 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X