300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• POST Instructers How to become one

anyone know how to become a POST certified instructor? like a firearms instructor?

Look up the GPSTC online calender, then follow it's instructions (you have to have a letter from the chief saying why you should go to IT, one from you saying why you want to go). Pretty much once you talk your dept into letting you go, the rest is easy till class time. After getting your IT cert, you can take the FI course.

I want to go to IT, but our dept has 10 people, one is getting his master inst and another is about to start IT in a few weeks...
    Originally posted by Ceridwen
    Just one would be stingy of me, I'd have to get two. For the children.

Comment

The general instructor (IT) course is a two week course taught over a three week period at GPSTC. Some of the regional or agency academies may still be doing it in successive weeks if they offer it at all.

At GPSTC, you will do a week of classwork with a test on the first Friday. If you pass that test, you continue with the program. During the middle week, you go back to your agency and complete your lesson plan. Then you come back for the second week of class where you present your lesson plan. If you pass that portion, you then have to do a "teach back" at one of the academies and get the director's signature prior to actually getting your instructor number.

To be certified as a firearms instructor, you have to complete an additional firearms instructor course. The course at GPSTC is 80 hours, but the NRA Law Enforcement pistol and shotgun courses are pre-approved by POST. Any other course must be submitted for approval.

You must be a certified general instructor prior to being certified as an instructor in any specialty field such as firearms or defensive tactics. This was not always the case, but POST changed the rules. There is a list of available specialty instructor certifications on the POST web page.

Comment

It's hard work, but well worth it!
        Judge me by the enemies I have made----Unknown

Comment

Once you get through it you will have definitely earned it, they don't give IT certifications out!!!!!!!!!! Good Luck!!
          Happy Huntin!!!!!!!!

Comment

I'm curious.. how many pass/fail out of a typical class?

Comment

We started with 19 and ended with 12. The instructors said we were one of the larger classes to pass. From what I understand most classes start with 20 and end with 8-10, sometimes less.

We lost 6 on Friday to the test and lost 1 during the last week because he/she failed the Lesson Plan.
              Last edited by GADNR130; 03-21-2011, 07:55 PM.
              Happy Huntin!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jannino View Post
                I'm curious.. how many pass/fail out of a typical class?
                We started with 17 and ended with 10, but one of those 7 had a family emergency. I know of one class that started with 16 and ended with 6.

The failure/dropout rate is fairly high.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5800 users online. 352 members and 5448 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X