300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your first day with ATL PD

The time is flying and next week on the 12th of November I will begin my first day working for Atlanta PD. I'm curious what I could expect on that day. For some of you it may be a stretch to ask you to remember your first day on the job considering you may not be able to remember what happened last week . Ok who's up first?

Jason

Its all admin stuff. You'll be meeting with the HR folks to go over insurance, payroll, etc..

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Perhaps a better question is what will the time leading up to the start of the academy look like?

Comment

Originally posted by USAFSF View Post
        Thanks for the reply. Perhaps a better question is what will the time leading up to the start of the academy look like?
        Enjoy it! Its the last time you will be treated like a person till you finish the academy. You will be working around hq, or at the academy basically as a gopher- whateva they want(coffee, shredding papers, etc) but its actually a great time because you will work around many officers and meet alot of your other class mates and begin networking. you will hate it at 1st because you will most likely be anxious to start the academy but after you finish the academy you will look back and realize it wasn't bad at all.

hope this helps
        WELCOME TO ATLANTA CITY LIMITS>>>>RADIO I"LL BE CODE 7

Comment

and you get decent hours with decent days off!!!

Comment

The above stated it perfectly. As a recruit, you'll be everything from a secretary to a janitor. "Hey recruit, go wash my car..." "Hey recruit; we need 300 copies of this..."

You will meet most of your classmates; hate most of them before the academy even starts. LOL

Some guys are recruits for 3 months, others for 1 week. You'll work M-F, 7-3, 8-4; it varies depending on where your assigned. (Chiefs office, Background, OPS)

Chief’s office, B/R and Personnel are the 1st to get filled. It’s usually about the first 10 recruits or so.

By the time you finish the academy, you should have a decent amount of sick, comp and vac. time. Probably between 20-60 hours of each.

Benefits won’t start until 90 days after your start date. 1 word of advice, sign up for AFLAC the 1st chance you get. You'll need it.
            I am not afraid... I was born to do this.

Comment

Originally posted by Blind Justice View Post
              1 word of advice, sign up for AFLAC the 1st chance you get. You'll need it.
              Can you explain that statement a bit more? I just want to make sure everyone understands why it is imperative that they enroll in the AFLAC coverage.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by flyer2007 View Post
                Can you explain that statement a bit more? I just want to make sure everyone understands why it is imperative that they enroll in the AFLAC coverage.

Thanks.
                Because when you get hurt... and you will... Aflac pays you. =)

Its an insurance policy, so to speak. I broke my hand during a 29, needed surgery, 5 pins, rehab, ect... Aflac cut me a check for nearly $1500.

Its good have, only costs about 9 bucks a month.

The big difference between what AFLAC does and what your standard health insurance is that instead of paying the doctors and the hospitals as your health insurance does, ALFAC pays you. You choose where the money goes, whether it be your health insurance deductible, uncovered medical expenses or even your car payment, mortgage or cell phone bill.

AFLAC is not medical insurance, and it works best in conjunction with a typical health insurance plan. This is because instead of paying a percentage of your medical bills, it pays a pre-determined, lump sum depending on the type of injury, cost of treatment, and recovery time. There are no deductibles or co-pays. AFLAC’s personal accident plan covers all types of mishaps, whether they be motorcycle related, work related or occur around the house.

From severe life threatening injuries to stitches in a cut finger, you can file a claim. The pay-out depends on the accident, so a cut finger claim may only pay you $50, while a severe accident claim could pay-out in the thousands of dollars. AFLAC does not cover your routine medical bills, prescription meds, and the like. But, they do pay some of the costs associated with an accident such as MRI’s, ambulance rides, hospital stays, and doctor visits.
                Last edited by Blind Justice; 11-07-2009, 10:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Blind Justice View Post
                  Because when you get hurt... and you will... Aflac pays you. =)

Its an insurance policy, so to speak. I broke my hand during a 29, needed surgery, 5 pins, rehab, ect... Aflac cut me a check for nearly $1500.

Its good have, only costs about 9 bucks a month.

The big difference between what AFLAC does and what your standard health insurance is that instead of paying the doctors and the hospitals as your health insurance does, ALFAC pays you. You choose where the money goes, whether it be your health insurance deductible, uncovered medical expenses or even your car payment, mortgage or cell phone bill.

AFLAC is not medical insurance, and it works best in conjunction with a typical health insurance plan. This is because instead of paying a percentage of your medical bills, it pays a pre-determined, lump sum depending on the type of injury, cost of treatment, and recovery time. There are no deductibles or co-pays. AFLAC’s personal accident plan covers all types of mishaps, whether they be motorcycle related, work related or occur around the house.

From severe life threatening injuries to stitches in a cut finger, you can file a claim. The pay-out depends on the accident, so a cut finger claim may only pay you $50, while a severe accident claim could pay-out in the thousands of dollars. AFLAC does not cover your routine medical bills, prescription meds, and the like. But, they do pay some of the costs associated with an accident such as MRI’s, ambulance rides, hospital stays, and doctor visits.
                  Thanks. I just wanted to make sure people understood how important it was. From my research, the ATL PD's benefits are sub-par, and there is no LTD/STD disability policy. Workers Comp....yes, but we all know the stories we have seen/heard about that policy, and it only covers you if you are on the job.

Also, just to clarify, you can enroll in the health/dental insurance on day 1, but you will pay the full cost of it for 90 days. If you currently have a job, it might be cheaper to enroll in the COBRA from your old employer for 90 days if the fed govt is still subsidizing the premiums (which I do not agree with, but that's a different story!).

Comment

Originally posted by flyer2007 View Post
                    Thanks. I just wanted to make sure people understood how important it was. From my research, the ATL PD's benefits are sub-par, and there is no LTD/STD disability policy. Workers Comp....yes, but we all know the stories we have seen/heard about that policy, and it only covers you if you are on the job.

Also, just to clarify, you can enroll in the health/dental insurance on day 1, but you will pay the full cost of it for 90 days. If you currently have a job, it might be cheaper to enroll in the COBRA from your old employer for 90 days if the fed govt is still subsidizing the premiums (which I do not agree with, but that's a different story!).

True, but the cost for 3 months can be close to $300+ a pay check. On recruit pay it can be rough.

Good luck guys, we need ya on the sreets!

Comment

I was wondering if anybody knew if APD has a workout reimbursment program or not? I've talked with some dekalb officers and they mentioned that they get reimbursed at the end of the year for their gym membership cost. I was just wondering if APD did the same thing or not, it seems like it would be a hassle to drive into downtown atlanta to work out at the gym in the headquarters building.

Comment

Originally posted by nsmith21137 View Post
                        I was wondering if anybody knew if APD has a workout reimbursment program or not? I've talked with some dekalb officers and they mentioned that they get reimbursed at the end of the year for their gym membership cost. I was just wondering if APD did the same thing or not, it seems like it would be a hassle to drive into downtown atlanta to work out at the gym in the headquarters building.

Nope we have a decent GYM at the academy you can use which serves its purpose.
                        WELCOME TO ATLANTA CITY LIMITS>>>>RADIO I"LL BE CODE 7

Comment

Oh that bites, thanks for the reply

Comment

Do people give gym membership discounts to officers in Atlanta? Any chain gyms?

Comment

There are many that offer some sort of discount; LA Fitness is one that many of the guys use.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4843 users online. 330 members and 4513 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X