300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valdosta PD

Anyone in the processing for the jan academy? Also, would anyone like to share any views on the dept. good or bad? Just curious to see how active VPD would be on the forum!!!
    Last edited by FutRTrPR; 10-30-2009, 11:05 AM. Reason: quick wording change

In my opinion, VPD seems to be a pretty good department. Personally, I would prefer Lowndes Co. Sheriff's Office. If you ask around much and dig deep enough into the VPD (as with most agencies) you'll find the skeletons in the closet.

As for VPD, here's what I've been told by officers of both Valdosta and Lowndes. There is one main difference between the two agencies: With the Sheriff's Office, you are given freedom and the trust to be independent and do your job correctly without someone watching constantly over your shoulder. With Valdosta, the command staff watches every move you make and are often not supportive of their officers . Also, officers at the PD tell me that they are surrounded by the "good-ole boy" system of brown nosing your way to the top.

Overall, VPD seems to be a productive agency. I personally know 2 officers who love it. I also know of several more who quickly transferred to Lowndes.
    Every agency has its good and its bad. Valdosta and Lowndes are no different. It just comes down to the type of officer you want to be.

Comment

I worked for VPD for 5 years. If your starting out in LE it's a great agency to start with. You will have the supervision you need and plenty training. The call volume is enough that you will stay busy and experience all facets of LE.

Once you get experience (couple years) you may feel stifled by the constant micro managing but it depends on your personality. I'm very independent and if you tell me something to do I'll get it done. Needless to say I'm working for an S.O. now.

What I didn't like the most was their shift schedule. You work 6 on 3 off. If you do the math you have a total of 9 weekends off a year (fri, sat, sun). This means that most of your days off are during the week. What happens is you give up a lot of your off days off going to court, training, getting warrants signed, etc...

I work a 12hr shift now and get a 3 day weekend off every other week and my longest stretch of consecutive days working is 3 days. This schedule gives you 26 three day weekends off a year that will never be interrupted by court, training, etc...

While I didn't stay there I wouldn't have traded the experience I got there for anything.
      Due to the Juvenile bickering and annoying trolling committed by members of this forum I have started an igore list. If your name is listed below I can't see you.

CityCopDC, Fire Moose, Carbonfiberfoot, Damiansolomon

Comment

Does Valdosta have their own academy or do they go through A.B.A.C.?

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by PoliceMagnum View Post
          Does Valdosta have their own academy or do they go through A.B.A.C.?

Thanks.
          ABAC
          Due to the Juvenile bickering and annoying trolling committed by members of this forum I have started an igore list. If your name is listed below I can't see you.

Comment

Originally posted by Freeze View Post
            In my opinion, VPD seems to be a pretty good department. Personally, I would prefer Lowndes Co. Sheriff's Office. If you ask around much and dig deep enough into the VPD (as with most agencies) you'll find the skeletons in the closet.

As for VPD, here's what I've been told by officers of both Valdosta and Lowndes. There is one main difference between the two agencies: With the Sheriff's Office, you are given freedom and the trust to be independent and do your job correctly without someone watching constantly over your shoulder. With Valdosta, the command staff watches every move you make and are often not supportive of their officers . Also, officers at the PD tell me that they are surrounded by the "good-ole boy" system of brown nosing your way to the top.

Overall, VPD seems to be a productive agency. I personally know 2 officers who love it. I also know of several more who quickly transferred to Lowndes.
            Every agency has its good and its bad. Valdosta and Lowndes are no different. It just comes down to the type of officer you want to be.
            Good luck getting hired there or LCSO.

Comment

Originally posted by leesrt View Post
              ABAC
              Thank You sir.

Also, apologies to the thread author for the thread hijack.

Comment

Originally posted by westside popo View Post
                Good luck getting hired there or LCSO.

Sir, Not trying to stir the pot by any stretch (sometimes the "tone" is hard to convey through text) but I am trying to understand the meaning of your reply to the thread author when you state "Good luck getting hired there or LCSO"

Are you meaning there are many hurdles to jump in the employment process with either of those departments or just a genuine good luck wish?

Just curious because I was researching VPD as well.

Thank You.

Comment

The VPD is a very good agency on a technical level. They are extremely well managed and are strictly by the book.

The LCSO used to be very freewheeling but a good agency. They have a new sheriff as of the last election; so, things may change there. The new sheriff is a retired trooper.
                  "Integrity is like virginity. Once it's lost, you can't get it back." --drunkhunter

Comment

The new sheriff has actually cause quite a stir in Lowndes County. As soon as he got into office, he fired 3 deputies. One of which, Leanne Bennett, was pregnant and is also sister to JD Yeager who was Sheriff Prine's main opponent during the election. The three have filed a lawsuit claiming wrongful termination. There are many other complaints I have heard but since I live just outside the Lowndes Co. line, I try not to form an opinion.

Man...don't ya love small town politics in law enforcement...

Comment

The new sheriff has actually cause quite a stir in Lowndes County. As soon as he got into office, he fired 3 deputies. One of which, Leanne Bennett, was pregnant and is also sister to JD Yeager who was Sheriff Prine's main opponent during the election. The three have filed a lawsuit claiming wrongful termination. There are many other complaints I have heard but since I live just outside the Lowndes Co. line, I try not to form an opinion.

Man...don't ya love small town politics in law enforcement...
                      I believe that the LCSO is an at will SO. If it is, he was perfectly legal in not hiring them (deputies have to be sworn in each term as well) provided he doesn't violate some sort of liberty interest.
                      "Integrity is like virginity. Once it's lost, you can't get it back." --drunkhunter

Comment

I can't remember a single time I've seen a new sheriff take over and not let people go. Especially when he's trying to change the direction of the office.
                        That said, it is at will so unless there was discrimination or sexual harassment they have no case. The fight is not so much that Prine is bad but that his opponent was in denial that he could lose.
                        I wish Ashley would run again and take it back over because he was passionate about the job and told politicians who wanted to control him to kiss his 6.

Comment

Originally posted by leesrt View Post
                          I can't remember a single time I've seen a new sheriff take over and not let people go. Especially when he's trying to change the direction of the office.
                          That said, it is at will so unless there was discrimination or sexual harassment they have no case. The fight is not so much that Prine is bad but that his opponent was in denial that he could lose.
                          I wish Ashley would run again and take it back over because he was passionate about the job and told politicians who wanted to control him to kiss his 6.
                          I completely agree. Almost all sheriff's offices will tell you from the beginning that ALL deputies work at the pleasure of the sheriff. Check the LCSO website and you will see this same statement. It is a risk you take and as you progress up the chain of command, you become more of a target to be either demoted or fired in the case of a new sheriff. It is what it is. However, Leanne Bennett is claiming discrimination because she was pregnant. Not sure about all the legalities and how that will play out...

Comment

I completely agree. Almost all sheriff's offices will tell you from the beginning that ALL deputies work at the pleasure of the sheriff. Check the LCSO website and you will see this same statement. It is a risk you take and as you progress up the chain of command, you become more of a target to be either demoted or fired in the case of a new sheriff. It is what it is. However, Leanne Bennett is claiming discrimination because she was pregnant. Not sure about all the legalities and how that will play out...
                            That issue would rest as to whether or not she was simply not retained by the sheriff or if she was given a reason for her dismissal.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4463 users online. 224 members and 4239 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X