300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Employment contracts

I am curious I am in the hiring process with a few agencies and 1 of them had me sign a contract stating that I would stay for 2 years or reimburse them for training. Is this the norm in Georgia?

Probably

Maybe so, I was asked to sign one as a pre-service reserve...needless to say, I didn't.

Comment

It is common in a lot of departments here. Some have had problems with sending people to the academy and they dont stay a month after graduation and go to another department which is hiring but will not send officers to the academy.

Comment

very common of what I have seen
        Graduated Clayton Academy: Nov. 17,2009

Hired: Dec. 4, 2009

Comment

Very common from what ive experienced, The LaGrange PD, UGA PD, Dothan (AL) PD, all require that, I would assume the same goes for the rest of them.
          Graduate of Athens Regional Police Academy - 235th BLETC

Comment

yes, i have seen dept's make you sign a contract saying if you leave before this certain time period is up, that you will pay for your training that they initially paid for you.

I have seen some depts asking for a 2-5 yr promise of employment. I looked at one dept several years ago when looking to get into LE that wanted a 2yr agreement, but the the pay was horrible and I couldnt lock myself into something that I could make more money at flipping burgers.

Good Luck, if your interested in the dept and it is where you "want" to be I would be okay with it, but if your just looking for a job, and wanting to go elsehwere, I wouldnt lock myself into something like that.

Comment

Yeah

I found out that is the norm. Cobb County Sheriff requires 2 years contract/commitment!

Comment

If you are already certified do departments still require a contract?

Comment

Every department I have seen does this. Not saying all, just the ones I have experience with.

Without taking the time to read the the law again (so I may be 100% wrong), but if it's what I remember, you personally are not required to pay back the costs of your initial training. If you leave for a non-federal department in state, your previous department could require your new department to pay back the costs.

The cost is pro-rated based on how many months you put in with your previous department.

I don't have the time right now to get the exact language of the law, but can look it up later to clarify.

Unless someone wants to do it for me that is...

Comment

When ya think about the cost of the equipment and uniforms coupled with the cost of in house training a 2 year contract is not that big a deal. If you are looking to get trained and bail, the contract is there to weed you out. They are making a commitment to you and you should be prepared to do the same.
                    Also, by the time you complete mandate, FTO and figure out how to do the job your 2 years is over.

Comment

The reason for the 2yr contract, is because it's GA LAW!

Comment

The two I recall stated that you will be required to pay back 100? if less than a year, and 50% during that second year.

But with all the costs of training and whatnot, it makes sense. Nothing like dropping 6-7 k on someone for nothing. You are an investment.
                        Graduate of Athens Regional Police Academy - 235th BLETC

Comment

Originally posted by FutureGSP View Post
                          The reason for the 2yr contract, is because it's GA LAW!
                          You are correct sir. I remember reading it somewhere, I think on the post site on one of the fine print pages.
                          I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not like the people screaming in the back seat

Comment

For real, after FTO you have like a 1 1/2yrs left til the contract is over. You can't even tell if you will the job by that point really.

Comment

I knew I had read it somewhere. Here it is from the POST site http://www.gapost.org/postAct/35822.html

35-8-22. Reimbursement of training expenses by subsequent employer of peace officer; collection procedure.

(a) Unless otherwise provided by an employment contract to the contrary, if the State of Georgia or any county or municipality thereof employs a peace officer and said peace officer is hired by another agency within 15 months after completing mandated or formalized training requirements, then the total expense of training, including salary paid during training, shall be reimbursed by the hiring agency to the State of Georgia or any county or municipality thereof which initially paid for such training. If said officer is hired by another agency during a period of 15 to 24 months after mandated or formalized training requirements are completed, then one-half of the total expense of training, including salary paid during training, shall be reimbursed by the hiring agency to the State of Georgia or any county or municipality thereof which initially paid for such training. The council shall set standards for reimbursement by hiring agencies based upon actual expenses incurred in mandated or formalized training by individual departments.

(b) The State of Georgia or any county or municipality thereof which initially paid for the training of a peace officer shall submit an itemized, sworn statement to the new employer of the peace officer and shall demand payment thereof and may enforce collection of such obligation through civil remedies and procedures.

(c) Effective July 1, 2003, in order for the State of Georgia or any county or municipality thereof to demand reimbursement, the demanding governmental unit must be able to document that the peace officer in question signed an acknowledgment of the terms of this Code section or an employment contract specifying the provisions of this Code section prior to such peace officer's employment with the demanding governmental unit. Otherwise, this Code section shall not apply to such demand for reimbursement.

History (Code 1981, 35-8-22, enacted by Ga. L. 1992, p. 1325, 2.)

Shane
                              I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not like the people screaming in the back seat

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6480 users online. 362 members and 6118 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X