300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Athens Academy

Just had my interview with Maj. Garrison at the Athens Academy. Went fantastic. I will be in Jan. or Feb. shooting for Jan. PM me if you are heading there in Jan./Feb. - If you need any help familiarizing yourself with the area or places to get a roof.

Here are some helpful things I picked up during the interview:

1. Typical day: 7:30 to 16:00. Reveille every morning. 50 minute class periods with 10 minute breaks and an hour for lunch.

2. Working while at the academy is a BAD idea. Weekends only.

3. Tests include:

30 "Hands on Tests". The Firearms course test takes the best score out of 6 attempts. The driving course is the only course you can fail. If you fail, you cannot walk upon graduation, but you retake the test after the class is over.

16 "Classroom Tests". Most are for each week of lessons, then a cumulative midterm and cumulative final. You can fail and retake tests twice. Third fail and out are out of the class. Most passing scores are 70 or above. Some, like the communications exam, require a score above a 90.

4. The thing that was the main focus of the interview was that the Academy expects a 110% effort. Integrity and attitude being very important. As a pre-service candidate I thought there may be a distinction b/w folks that where hired and preservs, but there is not. The Major drove home that you are not an officer yet - and don't think or pretend that you are.

Hope this helps - Good luck folks.

ATHENS POST WEBSITE
    Graduate of Athens Regional Police Academy - 235th BLETC

Originally posted by DJKAHUNA View Post
    Just had my interview with Maj. Garrison at the Athens Academy. Went fantastic. I will be in Jan. or Feb. shooting for Jan. PM me if you are heading there in Jan./Feb. - If you need any help familiarizing yourself with the area or places to get a roof.

Here are some helpful things I picked up during the interview:

1. Typical day: 7:30 to 16:00. Reveille every morning. 50 minute class periods with 10 minute breaks and an hour for lunch.

2. Working while at the academy is a BAD idea. Weekends only.

3. Tests include:

30 "Hands on Tests". The Firearms course test takes the best score out of 6 attempts. The driving course is the only course you can fail. If you fail, you cannot walk upon graduation, but you retake the test after the class is over.

16 "Classroom Tests". Most are for each week of lessons, then a cumulative midterm and cumulative final. You can fail and retake tests twice. Third fail and out are out of the class. Most passing scores are 70 or above. Some, like the communications exam, require a score above a 90.

4. The thing that was the main focus of the interview was that the Academy expects a 110% effort. Integrity and attitude being very important. As a pre-service candidate I thought there may be a distinction b/w folks that where hired and preservs, but there is not. The Major drove home that you are not an officer yet - and don't think or pretend that you are.

Hope this helps - Good luck folks.

ATHENS POST WEBSITE
    Shooting for January myself. Maybe I will see you there! I liked the Major very blunt and has a sense of humor as well.

Comment

Congrats!!!

Comment

Congrats bro

Comment

Yea, I like him. Straight forward guy. I am pre-service as well, but I start next Friday on the 23rd in Athens. Getting pretty excited now since it is getting close. My remaining kaki BDU's arrived today, so I am ready.

Shane
          I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not like the people screaming in the back seat

Comment

Originally posted by DJKAHUNA View Post

Don't neglect PT, morning formations, after school clean up

Read the chapter in the PORT once before class and once before that chapter test. Almost a guaranteed 95% or higher
            Any views or opinions presented by this prenomen are solely those of a burlesque author and do not necessarily represent those of a LEA or caementum couturier.

nom de plume

This is the internet- take all information with a grain of salt. Such could be valid and true or could be typed just for playing devils advocate.

Comment

Y'all will like the major. He was very no nonsense, but also very good-humored.

Originally posted by ryker View Post
              Read the chapter in the PORT once before class and once before that chapter test. Almost a guaranteed 95% or higher
              Agreed ^

Don't over-study, you'll just end up stressing yourself out and jumbling it all in your head.

Of course, on the flipside, make sure you at the least do what Ryker suggested.
              I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later.

Comment

I have not started the process yet. Could I still get into the January class. I am going to sponser myself.

Comment

Not sure

Originally posted by nypd1 View Post
                  I have not started the process yet. Could I still get into the January class. I am going to sponser myself.
                  I would call them and see. Mechelle is extremely helpful.

Comment

For those of you that of gone to the Academy in Athens. How physically demanding is it? Does it have a pretty high success rate or do you see quite a few drop out?

Comment

Not bad at all. We had like 31. 5 or 6 we lost for academics, physical, other stuff.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3737 users online. 304 members and 3433 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X