Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Athens Departments

So as a graduate of UGA I have been dabbling in gettin a job in Athens but:

I've heard a ton of bad stuff. And this weekend has finally sealed the deal.

On my way to the stadium - saw a UGA Cop in the crosswalk. I stopped him and told him about my intentions with the POST Acad. etc. etc. Asked him about LE in Athens. He took off his shades, looked me square in the eyes and said: "No joke, stay out of Athens and stay as far away from Clarke County as possible. You will hate it, because you can't do your job."

That affirmation along with several from ACCPD's = No Clarke or Athens for me.

I hope this is helpful for those unsure from of all the stories of crap morale and high turnover. This is not bashing/flaming. UGAPD was a good presence while I was a student, they were more helpful than anything.

But if you want to be in the area:

OCONEE COUNTY SO is hiring. Gotta have your POST though.
    Last edited by DJKAHUNA; 10-05-2009, 12:01 PM. Reason: Im a Ruh-tard
    Graduate of Athens Regional Police Academy - 235th BLETC

betanosave.
    Last edited by ryker; 01-13-2010, 08:21 AM.
    Any views or opinions presented by this prenomen are solely those of a burlesque author and do not necessarily represent those of a LEA or caementum couturier.

nom de plume

This is the internet- take all information with a grain of salt. Such could be valid and true or could be typed just for playing devils advocate.

Comment

hey i think we spoke before.... former ACCPD here. it's not that athens is that bad, it's that it's a lot better in other places.

if you're a young, single dude, open your eyes to the southeast man. before i met my wife i was considering a number of departments outside of GA....assuming you're cool with being away from the folks, etc.

i haven't done any recent research but i'm sure Nashville Metro, Charlotte/Meck, and Jacksonville still have some of the best departments around. Consider it.

Comment

.....Betanosave
        Last edited by ryker; 01-13-2010, 08:17 AM.
        Any views or opinions presented by this prenomen are solely those of a burlesque author and do not necessarily represent those of a LEA or caementum couturier.

nom de plume

This is the internet- take all information with a grain of salt. Such could be valid and true or could be typed just for playing devils advocate.

Comment

ACCPD isn't a bad agency, but the political environment in which it operates completely stifles it. Such an environment just doesn't promote field level decision making. They are pretty fractured in that they work out of multiple locations and communication isn't exactly one of their better skills. They do offer a lot of different career path options.

The CCSO doesn't work and play well with others; so, teamwork with them is not going to happen.

The UGAPD is an outstanding place for a young officer to start. The supervision is extremely close due to its environment, and an officer has to realize up front that they aren't municipal police, but their training and equipment is top notch, and one only has to look at the number of former UGAPD officers in command staffs across the state to see that they will prepare an officer for a great career. The turnover is very high due to some the politics and officers that can't get over how they envision policing should be (see previous comment about not being municipal police).
          "Integrity is like virginity. Once it's lost, you can't get it back." --drunkhunter

Comment

Gwinnett PD is still hiring for the 81st academy if you're interested of getting out of Athens.
            The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence...sigpic

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3119 users online. 165 members and 2954 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X