300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Griffin PD

I read their starting salary is somewhere around $14.00/HR. Is this a normal rate of pay for Georgia LE agencies? Is this a liveable wage in the Atlanta area? The pay seems low for an agency with 100 officers.

Anybody have any other information about this agency?

Originally posted by RJSPPO View Post
    I read their starting salary is somewhere around $14.00/HR. Is this a normal rate of pay for Georgia LE agencies? Is this a liveable wage in the Atlanta area? The pay seems low for an agency with 100 officers.

Anybody have any other information about this agency?
    The pay is actually $14.50 which is right at $30k a year. The location is half way between Atlanta and Forsyth so doesn't fall into the metro area. That pay is about right for a new recruit.

Ga is a non-union state so you'll find that wages are low compared to areas that have unions.
    Due to the Juvenile bickering and annoying trolling committed by members of this forum I have started an igore list. If your name is listed below I can't see you.

CityCopDC, Fire Moose, Carbonfiberfoot, Damiansolomon

Comment

14/hr is about normal for the agencies that are an hour + away from Atl.

If you want paid more and will work more then commute to the city or live near the city. The closer you get towards Atl the more the pay increases, crime, and work load.

14/hr isn't really live-able unless your spouse has a good job, you live with mommy, your retired, or your ok with living in a trailer.
      Any views or opinions presented by this prenomen are solely those of a burlesque author and do not necessarily represent those of a LEA or caementum couturier.

nom de plume

This is the internet- take all information with a grain of salt. Such could be valid and true or could be typed just for playing devils advocate.

Comment

RJSPPO,

The fact is that Georgia officers in general are underpaid. My brother and brother in law were cops in Macon, and both bailed for the north. They went to Washington and I went to Ohio. Now all of us make salaries that put the Georgia ones to shame.

The city I live in (Columbus, Ohio) will begin hiring again soon, now that a tax increase went into effect. Our pay rates are as follows:

Academy to Officer: $20.07 an hour - This goes up yearly until you have been on about 4 to 5 years, and it goes up incrementally to 30.74 an hour.

Sergeants: 36.26 an hour

Lieutenants: 42.78 an hour

Commanders: 50.49 an hour

Officers are now due for pay raises, so expect all those to jump about 3%.

Now, you will never get rich at CPD, but your family will live a heck of a lot better than they will if you take a job in Georgia. Cops here generally have a special duty job to bring in another 10k or so a year, so with OT and court most beat cops are in the $70K to 75K yearly pay range. In addition CPD has good health benefits, and full tuition reimbursement.

The disadvantage is that the weather sucks, and the city has more criminals than you can shake a stick at...
        Lighten up Francis!

Comment

I understand the pay is low in GA & in the south when compared to the northern states, my question is if a single guy with no kids can live in a decent area around Atlanta on a starting salary of $15 or $16/HR? Is the overall cost of living in the south lower to make up the difference in pay?

Comment

I've never lived near Atlanta, but if you are single and have no kids the world is your oyster!
            Lighten up Francis!

Comment

Any agency within 45miles of Atl pays more than 15/hr. I would guess the average now is around 35k starting out. Lots of off duty jobs to make tons.

Outside of 45miles its about 32k. Outside of 70miles and its down to 14/hr. At the 14/hr level a spec house in a subdivision is about 130k. Something nicer is about 160k. A doublewide trailer and a chunk of land is less than 100k. Trailer on a small lot is less than 75k.

A single guy would be best to apply and work in the Atl area and seek a fellow LEO roomate. Nice apartments in the Atl can be had for about 500.00 month shared (total 1000.00). I say again - nice. Buckhead is slap full of $$$ professional single women...
              Any views or opinions presented by this prenomen are solely those of a burlesque author and do not necessarily represent those of a LEA or caementum couturier.

nom de plume

This is the internet- take all information with a grain of salt. Such could be valid and true or could be typed just for playing devils advocate.

Comment

Originally posted by ryker View Post
                A single guy would be best to apply and work in the Atl area and seek a fellow LEO roomate. Nice apartments in the Atl can be had for about 500.00 month shared (total 1000.00). I say again - nice. Buckhead is slap full of $$$ professional single women...
                Now that is sound advice... Get yourself a rich woman and be a kept man! I wish I was young and single!
                Lighten up Francis!

Comment

Makes me wish I kept my rich ex-girlfriend from Roswell PD...
                  Lets hold hands and sing "We are the world."

Comment

Originally posted by BaldOldWhiteGuy View Post
                    Now that is sound advice... Get yourself a rich woman and be a kept man! I wish I was young and single!
                    The key is to find a woman with lots of letter past her name badge.

RN, RT(t), BSN, CPA, etc etc etc etc the more initials the more money she makes!

nom de plume

Comment

"Im gonna marry for money - ill be so damn rich it aint funny"...
                      "I dont care if she loves me - she can even be ugly - Im gonna marry for moneeeeeyyy!"
                      Last edited by DJKAHUNA; 10-01-2009, 01:03 PM.
                      Graduate of Athens Regional Police Academy - 235th BLETC

Comment

Originally posted by RJSPPO View Post
                        I understand the pay is low in GA & in the south when compared to the northern states, my question is if a single guy with no kids can live in a decent area around Atlanta on a starting salary of $15 or $16/HR? Is the overall cost of living in the south lower to make up the difference in pay?
                        Cost of living isn't to bad in Ga but I just did a comparison between Atlanta and Columbus and it showed Columbus with a lower cost of living.
                        Due to the Juvenile bickering and annoying trolling committed by members of this forum I have started an igore list. If your name is listed below I can't see you.

CityCopDC, Fire Moose, Carbonfiberfoot, Damiansolomon

Comment

RJSPPO- You can have GA! We have been here long enough and can't wait to move back to IL

Comment

You want to move BACK to Illinois? You cant be serious.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5625 users online. 344 members and 5281 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X