300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hope Scholarship

Has anyone used the Hope scholarship to put themselves through the academy? If so how long was the process and what was the process? I am hoping to get into the academy in October but the clock is ticking and I have not had my interview yet.

I wont happen that fast. It only took them about 2 weeks to get the OK that the funds were available to me. At the same time it only took two weeks to get my Post form2 back. That was all the easy and fast part. IF you have not yet done your background (1 week), your fingerprinting (instant), filled out your application followed by your interview with the head of the academy (all in that order) you wont make it by October. I had started the process back in early August and I will be lucky if I make the October 23rd class. Everything is ready to go, they just don't have any seats available. The fill up quick and agencies always get first seating. Even if a seat becomes available for the October class, chance are high that I will still loose my seat to a recruit from a Georgia agency. They told me that if I was to get a seat for October, don't consider myself in until I am sitting in the seat on the day of class. Its not as bad today as it used to be when agencies were hiring. I have spoken to a guy that waited almost 2 years to get a seat a couple of years ago. I will be going to the Athens academy since it is the closest to me. The next class begins October 23rd, and the one following that begins in January. The class is still only 10 weeks, but the holidays takes it out until then. PM me if you have any questions. Which academy are wanting to attend?

Shane
    I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not like the people screaming in the back seat

Comment

I have done everything I am just waiting on the interview.

Comment

I used hope through atlantic state university. They were very helpful, fast, and easy. Total time about two weeks. They even sent me a check to pay for books! Go figure.

Comment

Had my interview today and got the packet for the Hope Grant. My class, (hopefully) is set for January.

Comment

Hey Forensic, what Acad are you looking at? I have to get my physical and notary for my app with the Athens Acad. Then off to interview and hope paper.
            Graduate of Athens Regional Police Academy - 235th BLETC

Comment

Looking more like Athens. I would prefer a part time academy, but it's easier to block off 10 weeks instead of 6 months, when I have to travel for my company. Going through to be a reserve deputy.

Comment

Originally posted by DJKAHUNA View Post
                Hey Forensic, what Acad are you looking at? I have to get my physical and notary for my app with the Athens Acad. Then off to interview and hope paper.
                Don't worry about the notary, they will do that for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Forensicdude View Post
                  Don't worry about the notary, they will do that for you.
                  They sure will. Mechelle with stamp it right in front of you. If everything works out and I dont get bumped off the list, I will be in the October 23rd class. If not then Mechelle said January for sure.

Shane
                  I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not like the people screaming in the back seat

Comment

Originally posted by 548cidakota View Post
                    They sure will. Mechelle with stamp it right in front of you. If everything works out and I dont get bumped off the list, I will be in the October 23rd class. If not then Mechelle said January for sure.

Shane
                    Cool, PT 3 times a week and DT twice a week. Should be interesting . Dakota, If you make it in the 23rd, let us know how it is. Just waiting on POST now, she said possibly 2 weeks, but up to a month to get it back.

Comment

Thats what she told me too, but I had the POST form2 back in a week. Took about two weeks for the Hope.

Shane

Comment

Originally posted by Forensicdude View Post
                        Cool, PT 3 times a week and DT twice a week. Should be interesting . Dakota, If you make it in the 23rd, let us know how it is. Just waiting on POST now, she said possibly 2 weeks, but up to a month to get it back.
                        When did you interview, what day?

Comment

Originally posted by 548cidakota View Post
                          When did you interview, what day?
                          Yesterday (24th).

Comment

Very cool - I am shooting for January as well. Sounds great that they will have some room for pre-servs. Mechelle has been very helpful up to this point, its nice to feel like someone gives a hoot that you want to get into LE.

I can't quite say the same about the one in Columbus.... Thats why im gonna hit up the ole Alma Mater -

How are yall going to handle living expenses? Im not quite on my own yet so im trying to sub-lease a room at my fraternity house. If that does not happen, is there any type of assistance?

Also - Forensic - how did the interview go? That one almost seems a bit more intimidating than the board interviews with PDs.
                            Last edited by DJKAHUNA; 09-25-2009, 12:08 PM.
                            Graduate of Athens Regional Police Academy - 235th BLETC

Comment

Originally posted by DJKAHUNA View Post
                              Very cool - I am shooting for January as well. Sounds great that they will have some room for pre-servs. Mechelle has been very helpful up to this point, its nice to feel like someone gives a hoot that you want to get into LE.

I can't quite say the same about the one in Columbus.... Thats why im gonna hit up the ole Alma Mater -

How are yall going to handle living expenses? Im not quite on my own yet so im trying to sub-lease a room at my fraternity house. If that does not happen, is there any type of assistance?

Also - Forensic - how did the interview go? That one almost seems a bit more intimidating than the board interviews with PDs.
                              I don't think they have assistance, unless you get hired first and the department pays you while you're there, I believe you're on your own. I'm going to continue my regular job, granted, the hours will be different. I think the interview went well, it was a group intro and then it was one on one where he goes through your file and asks questions about it. I believe you will like the director, very upfront and doesn't hehaw around about the rules. Given that, he also appears very approachable, and has a great sense of humor. Mechelle was excellent, when I came out of the one on one, I apologized for all of the questions for the year leading up to this.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4858 users online. 297 members and 4561 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X