300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reinhardt Police Academy

Well, it's official...I start the pre-service academy Monday at 0800!

I will keep you guys all updated on what I'm up to during the academy!

After a whole lot of deliberation, I decided to put myself through the academy while still working 3rd shift at the jail I work for, in hopes of getting hired by a more rural/distant agency once I graduate. (I want to get away from metro-ATL).

Wish me the best!

Anyone else attending this class or the one in January?

Any updates?

I submitted my application for the January night class a month ago and I think they just sent my app to POST.

Would love to hear how it's going for you.

Comment

Hey guys, I know I said that I'd be providing lots of updates...

Time has been FLYING by! I'm about to start week 7! It gets hard at times, when I am staying up for 24 hours on 2-4 hours of sleep for 3 days in a row, but I'm having a good time.

We started with 8 and only have 6 now...2 failed firearms...EVOC is 11/18--11/20. I am a bit nervous, because it would suck to get to week 8 and fail! However, I have great faith in the instructors we will have to guide us all through it!

The environment is VERY laid back. I am sure that they are a bit more lenient on us because it is the first full time class and we are such a small group. We have not done any PT yet. The director stated that as we get closer to defensive tactics (the last 1 1/2 weeks) that we will start doing some light PT (run 1-2 miles and do some stretches/pushups/situps) to loosen our bodies up to reduce injuries during DT.

The classroom that we use is very nice! Computers at every desk with internet access!

There are lots of restaurants nearby, so there are tons of options for lunch breaks! (your wallet will get very thin)

Of course, on the dry subjects, it is sometimes hard to pay attention, and you really have to go back and read the PORT (training book) to do good on the test.

The tests are pretty hard, because we still do not have a "full time" Director. They are interviewing applicants still for the position. On a typical day, the instructor that is teaching the class is boss. Sometimes the instructors aren't sure which areas of the course we need to pay some extra attention to when we're studying for the test, because of not having a director there all day to help focus the studying. Taking good notes is a life saver for criminal law and criminal procedures, but for the other classes, I very carefully read through the PORT and pay extra attention during the class.

We are receiving top notch training! ALL of our instructors have been more than credible and have quite impressive LE histories! All of our instructors have "been there and done that", helping us pay attention in boring classes with awesome war stories.Almost every instructor has been a Sgt. or above with agencies such as Alpharetta, Roswell, Johns Creek, Sandy Springs, and Gwinnett Sheriff.

It's easy to see where going to Reinhardt has paid off when we did classes such as traffic stops and building clearing. All the other academies that are only 10 weeks long as well simply do not have enough time to get as in depth as we were able to get due to the small number of students.

I believe that the DT training we will receive will be superior to others going through other academies. We have some of the best instructors in the area that will be teaching it! I believe we'll have 32 hours total of control tactics, 8 hours of OC spray, 8 hours of ASP baton training, and 8 hours of practicals (scenarios). I believe that due to the small number of students, the instructors will be able to spend more time with the students to make sure they are "getting it".

All in all, I can't wait to be done! It sure is taxing on my body quite a bit, due the small amount of sleep, and no actual full days off for the whole duration of the academy (I work 11pm-7am wed-sun and go to the academy 8am-5pm mon-fri).

I have 8 applications sitting at different departments right now and am hoping that some of my primary choices will have some openings soon so that I can go through the process!

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask her or PM me!

Thanks!

Comment

Wow Thats an inspiration! How do you do it! I am going for a preservice interview friday in Athens. Any pointers? Should I wear a suit?

Comment

seriously 10-15 you are an example of if you want it you can do it! Try Lumpkin and Dawson counties. I think thats where I am headed after I graduate the academy. Also Gainesville Police I think is looking for certified officers.

Comment

Well, I MADE IT THROUGH EVOC!!! I DIDNT think I would make it after that first driving day of EVOC! I did SOO HORRIBLE on EVERYTHING (skid pad, braking course, cone course)! I went home feeling worse than I have in a LONG time. I thought about everything I had worked hard for and failing the academy. I called some friends that had to go back a second time for EVOC when they went through their academies and the advice was similar---RELAX and believe in yourself--tell yourself that you CAN do it.

I went in the 2nd driving day still feeling bad, but trying to be optimistic. The first test course we did the skid pad---(I was most worried about this because I kept wiping out the 1st driving day). I spun around the first practice go around (the test day you get 4 practice runs and 4 test runs--remedial if you fail the tests---and then a few more test attempts). The 2nd time, I listened to my instructors' tips (who by the way is one of the best instructors EVER). I said a prayer, thought of my signifigant other, and told myself I could do it and I did it!

I FREAKIN PASSED the skid pad!! I couldnt believe it! I FELT SOO GREAT! I felt like that if I was able to pass that, I could pass anything else!

We went and practiced the cone course and I did horrible! My instructors were FINALLY able to figure out what I was doing wrong (I was not setting up the car close enough to the guide cone for the figure 8 and the lightbulb even though i thought I was).

We then went and did the braking test (same # of practice and test attempts as the skid pad). I PASSED ON THE FIRST TEST ATTEMPT!

We went to lunch and came back and took the written test---pretty easy, a few tricky questions though!

We went straight into the 4 practice runs and 4 test runs for the cone course. I FAILED all 4 practice runs. I kept messing up on random things---MAINLY PARALLELL PARKING!

I was stressed, I was no longer doing my prayer and happy thoughts ritual before each run. I was thinking about failing...

I took the first test and screwed up on the parallell parking and hit a "stupid cone"--(a random, easy cone that no one would normally hit).

That great instructor from the skid pad took me aside and mentored me.

I went back for my 2nd test attempt. I went through, telling myself the whole time, "I can do this". When I finished, I heard no cheering or clapping (as people had done for everyone else who had passed--I was the 2nd to last person to test). I assumed that I failed and went to setup my car again for another attempt when I heard the director of my academy say over the walkie talkie "YOURE IN THE WRONG PLACE! BRING YOUR CAR OVER HERE AND PARK YOU PASSED!" I was SOO happy! I don't know the last time I felt soo happy!

Guys this whole post is for anyone who is worried about EVOC or anything else in the academy! It seems silly, but it really does work if you relax by doing a ritual everytime you practice/test a certain event! Just LISTEN and ABSORB what your instructors are telling you, THEY KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING! TELL YOURSELF YOU CAN DO IT AND YOU WILL!

Out of the 14 of us there (6 from my full time day class and 8 from the part time night class) only one failed. I won't go into details here on why he failed, but if I can do it, YOU ALL CAN!

I only have TWO more weeks left until graduation! It has been a hell of a journey, and I can't wait to hold that certificate and go home and finally be able to get a full night's sleep every night!

The last obstacle we have is defensive tactics, and as long as we make it through without any injuries, I know all of us will graduate together! We started with 8 and are down to 5 (lost 2 to firearms, 1 to EVOC)

If you have any questions at all regarding anything please PM me or ask here!

Thanks guys!
            Last edited by Code10-15; 11-21-2009, 08:00 PM.

Comment

Great job Code! I have heard some stories about the EVOC course, sounds like it's all true.

Comment

Where did you do your EVOC at, someplace other than Forsyth...?

Because the new EVOC cone pattern at GPSTC does not include parallel parking anymore,
                -"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children will have peace." - Thomas Paine

Comment

We did EVOC and Firearms at the Fulton County academy. For whatever reason, they still have not taken parallell parking out of their course.

Comment

I just got my official acceptance letter from Reinhardt yesterday and I am even more excited having read your experience so far. The school has been very professional and everyone I've come in contact with has been courteous and encouraging. Please keep us posted on your progress and keep up the good work.

Comment

Well guys, I only have 1.5 more days! Tommorow is practical scenarios (situations that we may encounter on patrol) and Friday is just a final exam and then we will be out of there! We will be certified Friday, but the actual graduation is 12/18/09. I am still looking for a job as a patrol officer, and am trying to be hopeful, but it's hard when EVERYONE else in my class is starting on the road somewhere very soon and I have not even really been contacted by anyone yet in regards to starting the employment process.

These last couple of weeks were a bit nerve racking, because of all of the physical aspects being thrown in at the last minute. It is GREAT that they planned it that way, because if we were injured, we could hopefully be able to suck it up and make it through the last couple days rather than having an injury occur in the beginning-middle of the academy. Luckily, we ALL made it through okay!

Judgemental Pistol Shooting was a GREAT COURSE! Due to the small number of students in our class (5), we got to do several deadly force scenarios using the FATS simulator machine. We even got to do a couple live simunitions scenarios after our lunch break! Yet another great example of why Reinhardt is among the best in basic mandate training academies around!

Defensive tactics was great, I feel like I learned a lot of new "tools" to PRACTICE to competency. I have a hard time learning the moves. Many of the moves that they taught were very simple, but EFFECTIVE compared to what I have been taught in other DT classes. Regardless, it is still hard for me since I have no martial arts/wrestling background.

I did ASP baton training again, even though I did it last year. I am GLAD that I did it though. I wouldn't mind doing that every year!

OC certification was today...LUCKILY--I DIDNT HAVE TO DO IT! I was soo worried about having to possibly do it again! All of the guys took it like champs and got through it!

Looking back, it seems like it was just yesterday that we walked into our classroom and met for the first time. Now, come Friday, we will be venturing out to begin our new careers---(well, I'll be going back to the jail for a while until I can find something). I will be glad to finally get back into a normal routine of sleeping and more importantly, a good exercise program! I definitley need to get into a martial arts program once I figure out where I will be moving to for work whenever I get hired somewhere.

I am looking forward to tomorrow. I must admit, I am nervous, because I have no idea what kind of crazy crap the instructors might throw at us for the scenarios, but it will certainly be a great learning experience and I guarantee we will pick up some great tips/advice from the instructors through critiquing of our performance!

Thanks for reading my progress throughout this journey!

If you have any questions or comments, please post here or P/M me!

Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by Code10-15 View Post
                        Well guys, I only have 1.5 more days! Tommorow is practical scenarios (situations that we may encounter on patrol) and Friday is just a final exam and then we will be out of there! We will be certified Friday, but the actual graduation is 12/18/09. I am still looking for a job as a patrol officer, and am trying to be hopeful, but it's hard when EVERYONE else in my class is starting on the road somewhere very soon and I have not even really been contacted by anyone yet in regards to starting the employment process.

These last couple of weeks were a bit nerve racking, because of all of the physical aspects being thrown in at the last minute. It is GREAT that they planned it that way, because if we were injured, we could hopefully be able to suck it up and make it through the last couple days rather than having an injury occur in the beginning-middle of the academy. Luckily, we ALL made it through okay!

Judgemental Pistol Shooting was a GREAT COURSE! Due to the small number of students in our class (5), we got to do several deadly force scenarios using the FATS simulator machine. We even got to do a couple live simunitions scenarios after our lunch break! Yet another great example of why Reinhardt is among the best in basic mandate training academies around!

Defensive tactics was great, I feel like I learned a lot of new "tools" to PRACTICE to competency. I have a hard time learning the moves. Many of the moves that they taught were very simple, but EFFECTIVE compared to what I have been taught in other DT classes. Regardless, it is still hard for me since I have no martial arts/wrestling background.

I did ASP baton training again, even though I did it last year. I am GLAD that I did it though. I wouldn't mind doing that every year!

OC certification was today...LUCKILY--I DIDNT HAVE TO DO IT! I was soo worried about having to possibly do it again! All of the guys took it like champs and got through it!

Looking back, it seems like it was just yesterday that we walked into our classroom and met for the first time. Now, come Friday, we will be venturing out to begin our new careers---(well, I'll be going back to the jail for a while until I can find something). I will be glad to finally get back into a normal routine of sleeping and more importantly, a good exercise program! I definitley need to get into a martial arts program once I figure out where I will be moving to for work whenever I get hired somewhere.

I am looking forward to tomorrow. I must admit, I am nervous, because I have no idea what kind of crazy crap the instructors might throw at us for the scenarios, but it will certainly be a great learning experience and I guarantee we will pick up some great tips/advice from the instructors through critiquing of our performance!

Thanks for reading my progress throughout this journey!

If you have any questions or comments, please post here or P/M me!

Thank you!
                        Excellent work! Congrats! You will get a position somewhere never fear Can't wait until I start!

Comment

I hope you have a great last day! You have me so excited to start on January 5!!

Comment

Reinhardt Police Academy seems be fatser than Fulton County Public Safety Training Center, I had my interview Nov 23 and still have wait on the final world to begin on Jan 11.

Comment

Well, I'm officially done! I made a 95.2% on the final exam :-D!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4433 users online. 277 members and 4156 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X