300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Atlanta PD career fair question?

I am from Ohio and I was wondering if someone could fill me in on the Atlanta PD career fairs? If you go to one of these what is typically involved (process)?

Also - how long is the process if you do attend one of these?

One last thing - if you go to one of these what is the typical time frame for being hired (start to finish)?
    Thanks!

Originally posted by avalonearth View Post
    I am from Ohio and I was wondering if someone could fill me in on the Atlanta PD career fairs? If you go to one of these what is typically involved (process)?

Also - how long is the process if you do attend one of these?

One last thing - if you go to one of these what is the typical time frame for being hired (start to finish)?
    Thanks!

Typically, here is what is involved:

You show up, they ask a few general questions like: "Anyone here have full sleeve tattoos" They then ask those people to the back and they leave.
    There's a questionaire (People who don't pass are asked to leave)
    Then there's a more detailed questionaire (Again more people leave)
    There's an introduction/speach (some people leave of their own free will)
    Then if you didn't bring testing scores with you you start a 3-4 part testing session (during each of the tests more people leave)
    If you make it to the end of the day and have passed everything that is graded that day. You're given an application to fill out and have back in 2 weeks. If you already have your application done and notarized you can turn it in to one of the officers there.

They're telling everyone 6 weeks is about the average from interview to hire date for one of the fairs. My husband is going into week 4 right now so unless they call and set everything up at once, I'm thinking more like 8-10. However, this is still much faster than most other departments.
    JINX

Comment

To add a little bit of information in case you don't go the route of the Career Fair:

I sent my complete application in on the 15th.

I am scheduled for testing and the interview on the 26th.

Dunno past that BUT - I was the one that called them and made things happen. I have always felt that the squeaky wheel gets the grease, as long as you don't become obnoxious / harassing.
      Graduate of Athens Regional Police Academy - 235th BLETC

Comment

What kind of testing is involved? I don't have any test scores and I have been out of high school for some time. (2 years) and a very busy life. I work for a shoe store, so not much algebra based problems are available or rather.. a daily occurrence. So i'm curious what materials the test is covering.

Comment

Originally posted by R.Humphrey View Post
          What kind of testing is involved? I don't have any test scores and I have been out of high school for some time. (2 years) and a very busy life. I work for a shoe store, so not much algebra based problems are available or rather.. a daily occurrence. So i'm curious what materials the test is covering.
          From what I know the POST exam includes an essay portion, math portion, and writing portion. I think there may be more, if so, someone can add what I left out. PM me if you want details beyond what has already been stated in this thread.
          "PALMAM QUI MERUIT FERAT"

Comment

I am putting myself through the academy and I had to go and take the COMPASS test at a local college or tech school in order to get into the academy. Not sure how it works for Atlanta since they have their own academy. The COMPASS is 10th grade, grammar, reading and math. No essay involved with the COMPASS. Here is a link to the Georgia POST site requirements to be a Georgia LE. http://www.gpstc.org/officer.html . Im not sure if Atlanta follows the same testing rules or not since they have their own academy.
            I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not like the people screaming in the back seat

Comment

would be nice to be-able to put myself through.

Comment

I like it when the recruiter says if "I call your name you need to go into the next room because we need additional information" - and 50% of the people get called and you never see them again- Why not just say "you failed the test!"
                Lets hold hands and sing "We are the world."

Comment

Originally posted by R.Humphrey View Post
                  would be nice to be-able to put myself through.
                  The HOPE grant will pay for it. You just have to pay for your own gear, food and lodging.
                  I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not like the people screaming in the back seat

Comment

Originally posted by lifesagarden View Post
                    I like it when the recruiter says if "I call your name you need to go into the next room because we need additional information" - and 50% of the people get called and you never see them again- Why not just say "you failed the test!"
                    Because that would be embarrasing in front of everybody

Comment

APD disqualified me for writing a bad check when I was 16 years old. This happen as a juvinille in North Carolina and was a Misdemeanor Simple Worthless Check.A check from my own bank account. I have not ever seen a agency this strict. Its strange how I have worked for the Federal Govenment with a Top Secret Clearance and a bad check disqualified me. I personally dont understand that.
                      Last edited by FutureRecruit86; 10-05-2009, 06:57 PM. Reason: ..

Comment

Originally posted by FutureRecruit86 View Post
                        APD disqualified me for writing a bad check when I was 16 years old. This happen as a juvinille in North Carolina and was a Misdemeanor Simple Worthless Check.A check from my own bank account. I have not ever seen a agency this strict. Its strange how I have worked for the Federal Govenment with a Top Secret Clearance and a bad check disqualified me. I personally dont understand that.
                        So if you write a bad check... like bounce your bank account... its a crime? With your own account?
                        Graduate of Athens Regional Police Academy - 235th BLETC

Comment

2 cents

I think that the department has so many applicants to choose from that they are going for the creme of the crop. Best of the best as opposed to previous years when some bad apples got in there!

Comment

Wow, that is a bit nutty to DQ you for, but I think mainly they've got so many applicants at this point that they're trying to weed through quickly so their making more drastic rules like any sort of criminal background dq's someone...I don't know. Seems unfair, is there anyone you can request to review it again?
                            JINX

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4890 users online. 329 members and 4561 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X