300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• O.c.g.a. 35-8-22

Just curious if anyone has any experience with this law. It is the reimbursement agreement you sign during application to law enforcement agencies in GA.

My question is as follows: Assume that I get hired by ATL PD. Then, within 24 months of hire, I get hired by USSS, federal agency. I would assume that this law doesn't apply in this situation? If I recall correctly, an officer told me that it only applied if you leave the hiring agency and then go to another agency within the state of GA. And, since it is state law, I can't imagine that it would be applicable to federal agencies.

If offered employment with APD, I intend to ask this question before accepting, but just wanted to see if anyone here might have any insight. I just do not want to get myself into a bad situation, should this occur.

Thanks!

I haven't seen APD go after reimbursement from anyone or any new agency, even if they left before 2 years. Most of the agencies that I know of will not touch you if you're still under the 2 year contract.
    The 2 years also starts after formalized training and not your hire date (after field training).
    0-15 mo.=100% reimbursement
    15-24 mo.=50% reimbursement if i'm not mistaken.

Why are you even applying with APD if you are considering leaving in less than 2 years? Why take the spot from someone that has the intentions of doing at least 2 years ?
    Last edited by TimothyB; 09-19-2009, 09:15 PM. Reason: .

Comment

Originally posted by wannabe2gonnabe
      I also have a question along these lines. Do you still owe 2 years if they never made you sign a contract?
      Its a state law, not a private contract, so yes. I'm not sure about now but the form used to be in APD's initial application for hire.

Comment

My understanding, from what we were told at a GCPD orientation back in July is that if you leave law enforcement but stay in GA, or if you go to another agency out of state or federal, you do not have to reimburse the agency. If you go to another agency within GA, reimburse must be made.

But yeah, why take some one else's spot if you have other, more preferred apps in. If you get an offer with Atlanta and accept it, you should honor the fact that they took a chance on you, even if your dream agency later comes a calling. The ol' rule of "you snooze, you lose" applies here, I believe. Not saying you have to retire from APD, but at least give them a couple of years.

D.

Comment

I say Atlanta should go after all officers that leave before their 2 years is up. Some of that money can be used to get the city back on its feet.. or maybe give the veteran officers their much needed pay/step raises.
          Lets hold hands and sing "We are the world."

Comment

With all due respect, I would not feel as if I am taking a spot from anyone. If I am hired over someone else, then that is my spot. If I later opt to take another job, then I do not see anything wrong with it. It is not the military.

Unfortunately, the fed process takes significantly longer than the local process. The primary goal is a career in law enforcement. Therefore, if I get hired by APD first, then I hesitate to pass up the opportunity. Many officers have recommended taking the first job that you get, and then if a different opportunity presents itself, take it if you want it. However, they haven't recommended passing up the first opportunity, in hopes of getting the later job.

If the City wants to get back on its feet, it will take much more money than they could collect from a few people who do not fulfill a 2-yar committment. They can privatize many city services, instead of trying to keep tons of government employees on a payroll, for the reason of getting themselves re-elected. Or, they could sell or lease Hartsfield to someone.
            Last edited by flyer2007; 09-19-2009, 10:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lifesagarden View Post
              I say Atlanta should go after all officers that leave before their 2 years is up. Some of that money can be used to get the city back on its feet.. or maybe give the veteran officers their much needed pay/step raises.
              I agree. I know of 3 officers that left within a month of graduating the academy in the last few classes.

Comment

The point isn't who rightfully deserves the spot. The point is the city is spending time and money on your training and then the city does not get their return on the investment.
                Its deceitful on your end if you get hired and go through training knowing that you plan on leaving. I've seen too many officers do the same thing when those spots could have been filled with someone that would actually be there to benefit fellow officers.

Everyone is well aware the federal hiring process is longer so you need to decide if you're willing to "settle" for APD when your career goal is to go federal.

Comment

I work for a small county SO less than 1 year service. I didn't sign the contract so would I still have to pay to quit and work for another LEA?
                  Any views or opinions presented by this prenomen are solely those of a burlesque author and do not necessarily represent those of a LEA or caementum couturier.

nom de plume

This is the internet- take all information with a grain of salt. Such could be valid and true or could be typed just for playing devils advocate.

Comment

The state law says that the new employing agency, not you, is responsible for the reimbursement of your training cost+salary.

Comment

I completely understand the points here. I'm not saying that I would take the federal job for sure. On the other hand, I wouldn't feel guilty if I left for another job. The APD does not have any obligation to keep me, and can terminate me at any time, right? It works both ways. That is the cost of turnover and business.

I've invested a lot of resources in searching for a law enforcement career. I, like many others, have been rejected by several departments. Do you really think the hiring powers on the other side said "wait a minute - I bet he spent a lot of money and time coming out here to test with us and we should feel guilty for not hiring him" ? Ummmmm, no. They simply sent you a letter and tossed your file in a rejection pile and moved on to the next one. They didn't "owe" it to me to hire me simply because I applied.

It goes both ways. While that might be a "bad" way to look at it, I'm not going to feel all sappy and guilty when they can turn right around and also terminate me at any time if they so please.

Comment

Originally posted by flyer2007 View Post
                        It goes both ways. While that might be a "bad" way to look at it, I'm not going to feel all sappy and guilty when they can turn right around and also terminate me at any time if they so please.
                        I cannot name a single officer that hasn't been fired for their own stupidity. I actually know of an officer that is facing a felony charge in a different state but is still employed with APD.

Comment

Originally posted by TimothyB View Post
                          I cannot name a single officer that hasn't been fired for their own stupidity. I actually know of an officer that is facing a felony charge in a different state but is still employed with APD.
                          Understandable. What I am saying is that the option for them to terminate you, regardless of the reason, is there. They do not owe you anything, nor should they. No guilt or feeling of being "owed" something should exist on either side - it isn't a marriage.

Comment

Don't think for a second APD wouldn't cut junior officers or furlough them days off. If APD wants to keep skilled officers then Annie up with benefits or leadership and make it so they want to stay.
                            Any views or opinions presented by this prenomen are solely those of a burlesque author and do not necessarily represent those of a LEA or caementum couturier.

nom de plume

This is the internet- take all information with a grain of salt. Such could be valid and true or could be typed just for playing devils advocate.

Comment

Originally posted by ryker View Post
                              Don't think for a second APD wouldn't cut junior officers or furlough them days off.
                              Exactly

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6288 users online. 356 members and 5932 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X