300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Georgia Sheriff's Offices

I am about to start the academy soon (putting myself through while working 3rd shift at a metro atlanta jail) and plan to apply at some rural Sheriff's Offices and smaller PD's after I graduate. The only problem is, I will only be 20 years old (don't turn 21 for another year), but will have two years of jail experience.

Some of the places that I plan to apply that I believe I may have a shot of getting on the road as a Deputy at 20 are:

Baldwin County Sheriff's Office
    Walker County Sheriff's Office
    Haralson County Sheriff's Office
    Franklin County Sheriff's Office
    Stephens County Sheriff's Office
    Lamar County Sheriff's Office
    Monroe County Sheriff's Office
    Meriwether County Sheriff's Office
    Carroll County Sheriff's Office
    Pickens County Sheriff's Office
    Bulloch County Sheriff's Office
    Bryan County Sheriff's Office
    Gordon County Sheriff's Office
    Murray County Sheriff's Office
    Chattooga County Sheriff's Office
    Catoosa County Sheriff's Office
    Villa Rica Police Department
    Lavonia Police Department
    Douglasville Police Department
    Griffin Police Department
    Kingsland Police Department

If anyone works for or has any words to lend regarding these departments please reply to this thread or PM me!

If anyone knows any other departments that would hire me at 20 with two years of jail experience and mandated already, please let me know!

I've checked into the Bulloch count SD already. From what I understand, they want you to work the jail before getting on the road. I'm not sure about prior jail experience, whether or not that would be a factor.

Comment

Anyone????????

Comment

Carroll Co SO is a good agency, but like most others, they're short-handed in the jail. I have no idea about the hiring process (I've never worked there), but their website is pretty informative. Douglasville PD is a good agency, and so is Villa Rica.

Those are the only ones I'm familiar with; hope this helps...

Comment

At most SO's you WILL work detention prior to going into the field.

The exception would be those agencies that have a program for prior patrol experienced deputies.

W/o road exp,your looking at some time in the ADC.

Stick w/ it.

Comment

Originally posted by 11b101abn View Post
            At most SO's you WILL work detention prior to going into the field.

The exception would be those agencies that have a program for prior patrol experienced deputies.

W/o road exp,your looking at some time in the ADC.

Stick w/ it.
            I had spoken to people from Stephens and Columbia County Sheriff's Offices and they said that as long as I was mandated, I could start on the road (even after explaining that I had no road experience).

I am starting to be more open to applying to PD's since that is a guaranteed road spot if hired. However, I really want to work for a S.O.

We'll see!

Comment

Originally posted by Code10-15 View Post
              I had spoken to people from Stephens and Columbia County Sheriff's Offices and they said that as long as I was mandated, I could start on the road (even after explaining that I had no road experience).

I am starting to be more open to applying to PD's since that is a guaranteed road spot if hired. However, I really want to work for a S.O.

We'll see!
              Most Sheriffs Offices have a lot of ground to cover so you end up responding to calls by yourself a lot. This is why most want experienced law enforcement on patrol.
              A reasonably sized PD will give you better training and more call volume that you need starting out.
              I prefer an SO as well but I got my foundation with 5 years at a very active PD.
              Due to the Juvenile bickering and annoying trolling committed by members of this forum I have started an igore list. If your name is listed below I can't see you.

CityCopDC, Fire Moose, Carbonfiberfoot, Damiansolomon

Comment

any more insight anyone?

Comment

CARROLL CO SO--- the most professional so I've ever dealt with and its 4 counties away from me
                  WELCOME TO ATLANTA CITY LIMITS>>>>RADIO I"LL BE CODE 7

Comment

CARROLL CO SO--- the most professional so I've ever dealt with and its 4 counties away from me
                    WELCOME TO ATLANTA CITY LIMITS>>>>RADIO I"LL BE CODE 7

Comment

IMO good time in the jail is important as a deputy. You learn how to handle issues and how to handle yourself, as well.

Dont dismiss an agency because they want to place you in the jail first. It can only benefit you as a LEO.

Most agencies will not put a boot 20 year old on the road. Simple as that.

Comment

Originally posted by 11b101abn View Post
                        IMO good time in the jail is important as a deputy. You learn how to handle issues and how to handle yourself, as well.

Dont dismiss an agency because they want to place you in the jail first. It can only benefit you as a LEO.

Most agencies will not put a boot 20 year old on the road. Simple as that.
                        I agree, but I have already done nearly 2 years in the jail, and would prefer to go ahead and start something new---i'm even open to starting in a courthouse, transports, or other divisions.

I'm getting ready to submit my applications in the next few days to:

Franklin County Sheriff's Office
                        Pike County Sheriff's Office
                        Baldwin County Sheriff's Office
                        Stephens County Sheriff's Office
                        Columbia County Sheriff's Office
                        Lumpkin County Sheriff's Office
                        Lamar County Sheriff's Office
                        Walker County Sheriff's Office

I'm finishing up week 5 of the academy right now, things are going great!

Comment

Look into Fayette County SO. They will probably pay better than the departments that you mentioned.

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
                            Look into Fayette County SO. They will probably pay better than the departments that you mentioned.
                            Do you have any idea if they would hire me as a Deputy at 20? I'm pretty sure they say 21, but I have not contacted anyone to see if they could make an exception.

Comment

Originally posted by Code10-15 View Post
                              Do you have any idea if they would hire me as a Deputy at 20? I'm pretty sure they say 21, but I have not contacted anyone to see if they could make an exception.
                              I am not sure when you turn 21 but, I have found that the hiring process for a lot of the police agencies can take from 4 - 6 months and on top of that you have to do 10 weeks in the academy. So that adds 2 and a half more months onto your time. So depending on your birthday you might be 21 before you were actually POST cert. anyway.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3579 users online. 215 members and 3364 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X