300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Self Sponsor??

So, in Georgia you can go to an academy without being sponsored by a dept. in hopes of being hired after????

Anyone done this??

Thanks.

Originally posted by Tug View Post
    So, in Georgia you can go to an academy without being sponsored by a dept. in hopes of being hired after????

Anyone done this??

Thanks.
    I did this. While people will tell you that you should just get hired and let an agency put you through, I decided that I wanted to go through the process while I was able to. The Hope scholarship pays your fee if you qualify. All you have to do is cover your living expenses and gear for the academy for a period of 10 weeks. Many people can not afford to do this. Some people have help from family or live at home and it makes it a little easier but do not think that you can work while you are in the academy.

Whith that said, I hear rumors of a night academy or two in the atlanta area tha may be starting in the next few months. Those may allow you to work a full time job while attending. It will just take longer then 10 weeks.

Last but not least, some agencies will make you go through their own academy regardless of you certification status. If you are applying to one of these agencies, then do not put yourself through as you will have to go through again anyway!!

Comment

Academy

The Fulton County Public Safety Training Center used to have a part time night academy. Do not know if they still offer that.

Comment

I believe the "North Central Georgia Law Enforcement Academy" in Austell is offering a part-time night academy. You will find more information on their website. If nothing listed on their website call them and ask I believe they usually have atleast 1 or 2 part-time/night academy sessions per year. Just Google the name. You get certified you can pretty much pick what agency you want to work for (as long as you meet any additional hiring requirements). You end up going to work for a larger department such as Cobb PD, Atlanta PD, Gwinnett Pd, Dekalb PD or GSP you will have to complete their academy as well, but having prior LEO academy training (and a clean background) will help you stand out in their hiring process.
        Lets hold hands and sing "We are the world."

Comment

yes, thats correct. I am currently going through the night academy at the clayton county regional law enforcement academy. The hope scholarship pays for everything except firearm and duty belt and accessories. Its a great thing. Let me know if you have any questions. I don't think they will have another one until next year. I graduate in November.
          Graduated Clayton Academy: Nov. 17,2009

Hired: Dec. 4, 2009

Comment

Guys he won't qualify for the HOPE because he is not a Ga resident. I think you have to be a GA resident for one year before you can use the HOPE scholarship or Grant.
            Former: K-9/Drug Interdiction Officer

Helicopter pilot "non-LE"

sigpic

Comment

Nope not in GA (15 miles away from the line), so wouldn't care too much about the HOPE unfortunately. But can pay my way and I am thinking about maybe the academy in Tifton. Thanks for the helpful replies! I appreciate it!

Comment

Another option you may want to look into is the law enforcement training that some GA technical colleges are offering. South GA Tech in Americus, GA is offering the program and it is 17 weeks.
                Last edited by TimothyB; 07-07-2009, 01:38 PM. Reason: 1

Comment

sorry though you were in georgia.

Comment

The new Reinhardt College Pubic Safety Institute will be holding regular day and night time academies. The first Night one starts next week and will have another in January

Comment

Originally posted by k9bronco View Post
                      The new Reinhardt College Pubic Safety Institute will be holding regular day and night time academies. The first Night one starts next week and will have another in January

A bit more expensive ($4500) and the HOPE doesn't cover it. When I asked why it was more expensive, he said "because we're better". Also, they will have their own EVOC course, and firing range instead of going to Forsyth, GA. I will be going in Jan (that's the next class at night), as a pre-service.

If any one is in this current class, let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by austratman23 View Post
                        yes, thats correct. I am currently going through the night academy at the clayton county regional law enforcement academy. The hope scholarship pays for everything except firearm and duty belt and accessories. Its a great thing. Let me know if you have any questions. I don't think they will have another one until next year. I graduate in November.

How is that working out? I called and asked them about when the next night class is, she said April or May of next year. I wish I would have known about the night classes sooner.

Comment

Let me clear up a few questions with Reinhardt.

First the 4,000.00 cost is very comparable to what you would be charged as a pre-service candidate else where if you could not use HOPE. You can also elect to pay a 5,000.00 cost, but will receive 15 college credits. HOPE will not be available for Reinhardt as it is a private institute. We are working on some scholarship options.

Let me clarify why we are different. Not that we are "better" for no apparent reason. There are several good, respectable academies in the State. We are going to be priding ourselves on the quality of instruction and future facilities. We are hiring only the best instructors we can find from the instructors LE experience to formal education. We will have several executive managers ie...Majors and up teaching.

We are also catering to 2 needs in the North Ga area. 1. academies that will accept pre-service candidates without being on a long waiting list. 2. We will be holding night time classes for those that have a full time job, but want to join the LE profession.

If you have any questions, please PM me and I will attempt to answer them.

Comment

Message sent...

For the record, I wasn't complaining. I have a full time job and work close to the school. This is a life saver for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Forensicdude View Post
                              How is that working out? I called and asked them about when the next night class is, she said April or May of next year. I wish I would have known about the night classes sooner.
                              Its going great man. I am enjoying it. We do PT but nothing ridiculous. Unless your way out of shape you should just be fine. We have some old and obese guys in our class and if they can make it then I am sure you can. The night class isn't as intense as the day class even though we are told the night class isn't easier. Let me know if you have any specific questions let me know but we dont' graduate until november 19th so I am sure the next night class is like in May which is when ours started.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4455 users online. 278 members and 4177 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X