300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working at the Jail/ Take home squad car Question

I've heard of a lot of people working at a county jail before they go on the road as a police officer. Or they work at the jail while waiting to go to the academy. My question is, does everyone have to work at a county jail at some point before they become a police officer or waiting to go to the academy?
    Also, do most departments in Georgia let you take your squad car home after a shift?
    Thanks,
    -Loran
    Police Officer. Uniform patrol. Metro Atlanta area.

"...and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Originally posted by LCrabtree View Post
    I've heard of a lot of people working at a county jail before they go on the road as a police officer. Or they work at the jail while waiting to go to the academy. My question is, does everyone have to work at a county jail at some point before they become a police officer or waiting to go to the academy?
    Also, do most departments in Georgia let you take your squad car home after a shift?
    Thanks,
    -Loran
    If you work the county jail, you're probably not a police officer, rather a deputy sheriff. Most sheriff depts. require you to start in the jail before you can become a "road deputy", if that particular sheriffs office handles patrol (Forsyth does, Cobb, Gwinnett, Dekalb, Fulton dont).

Take home cars vary by dept.

Not everyone starts in the jail, for example Cobb Co. Police send you to the academy and then your a "street officer", handling 911, wrecks, etc.

Generally the Sheriff runs the jail, warrants, court etc.
    Police patrol the city/county.

Comment

take home cars vary agency to agency. Gwinnett SO requires jail time before doing any road assignment. most counties that have a PD and an SO will be the same as the SO will have few "road" positions compared to full service sheriff's depts.
      Perseverate In Pugna

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3457 users online. 232 members and 3225 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X