300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GSP and Dept. of Public Safety

What's the difference? i saw both cruisers actively working traffic while down in ATL this past week. are they two different departments?

Thanks

GSP is part of DPS. I am thinking the cars you saw were MCCD - Motor Carrier Compliance Division. I have seen what you are talking about a few times.
    Gimme a Diablo sammich and a Dr. Pepper, and make it snappy - I'm in a gotd**n hurry!

Comment

they were all white cars with "department of public safety" down the side and police officer on the front 1/4 panel.

i thought they were MC enforcement also, but saw a couple with normal cars stopped.

Comment

MCCD does HOV Lane enforcement on a regular basis.

Comment

The Department of Public Safety has three Divisions:

1.Georgia State Patrol which is the largest of the three

2. The Motor Carrier Compliance Div (MCCD) which does the big rig inspections

3. The Capitol Police which provides security at the State Capitol and other state buildings

The DPS is headed by a Commissioner who holds the rank of Colonel and traditionally comes from the ranks of the GSP but I guess technically he could come from anywhere.

Comment

the car you saw that said "dept of public safety" are motor carrier compliance officers. they have gray uniforms and work commercial vehicle inspections and HOV lanes around Atlanta. they are not state troppers. they got some good guys working for them though.
            Perseverate In Pugna

Comment

MCCD may soon be Troopers! Rumor has it that the trooper class that is in session now will be going to work for MCCD when they graduate. I think 6 of them are going to Capitol Police though.
              Passed EVOC 12/17/2008
              Took oath of office 12/19/2008
              Started FTO phase one 12/24/2008

Comment

Originally posted by lawgrl821 View Post
                MCCD may soon be Troopers! Rumor has it that the trooper class that is in session now will be going to work for MCCD when they graduate. I think 6 of them are going to Capitol Police though.
                I was once told a while back by a former MCCD Corporal, is that the ones who make it through trooper school but are not quite up to speed being a trooper (ranging from mediocre performances in the academy to poor FTO), were put into those positions until they were able to successfully complete up to GSP standards. Then they can go back and redo the "weak areas" to move on to becoming a trooper.

The person that told me that does joke around alot, so I am not sure he was telling the truth or joking, but he appeared to be serious.

Comment

Originally posted by lawgrl821 View Post
                  no, that wouldn't make them troopers, it would make them MCCD. GSPs budget was cut and they aren't getting anymore troopers until 2010 or something like that. they are asking the class that's in now if anyone wants to voluntarily shift to MCCD or Capitol police.
                  Perseverate In Pugna

Comment

Since I'm currently one of those in the 86th Trooper school, let me clear up some confusion. We were never asked to go and be MCCD officers, we were told that we would be detached to the MCCD to be the traffic enforcement division for the MCCD, but we would still be troopers wearing the blue and gray, driving the blue and gray and wearing the big hat. MCCD currently does not use any speed timing devices in their enforcement efforts. As it stands right now, since this option was opened to the field, there has been an overwhelming response from the field and that it looks like we will all go to Posts after graduating.

Also, about that business about those in trooper school that were mediocre etc....would have to go to MCCD if they performed poorly in FTO or Trooper school is definitely a joke! I've never heard anything of the sort! Anyway, I hope that sheds some light on some of the misinformation floating around out there. Hope everyone is well.

Comment

thats a big difference. being detached would be much better b/c you're still a trooper vs. going over to MCCD as a full time position.
                      Perseverate In Pugna

Comment

Will you be making Trooper pay or MCCD pay? IIRC there was a substantial difference...?

Comment

They will be still be making Trooper pay since they will be be troopers, just detached.

The only reason they are doing this is b/c MCCD is federally funded and we are in a budget crunch right now...we definitely need more troopers, the state just can't afford it.

Comment

Future GSP,

Did you used to work for a large S.O. in the eastern part of the state on a DUI task force?

Comment

I have read and heard about GSP not hiring again until at least 2010. Is there anywhere official we can find out about this?
                              And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4912 users online. 264 members and 4648 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X