300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ?

Does anyone happen to know who is over the Sheriff and his subordinates? This would be for Chatham County Ga.

I would appreciate the info.
    www.amyandwandasrants.blogspot.com

I don't know about Georgia, but in most states the Sheriff is an elected official who has no superior. Unless he is recalled by the voters, or disqualified from holding office because he has been convicted of committing certain specified crimes, or removed through other judicial process, you are stuck with him. Similarly, his deputies are subordinate only to the sheriff.

By way of example, the sheriff in Orange County, California was recently indicted by the Feds on various corruption charges. Until he stepped down, he continued to hold office and collect his paycheck. The only thing that caused him to resign was that he couldn't afford the cost of his defense attorneys. They offered to represent him for free, but as a public official he could accept the gift of their services, so he eventually resigned to accept the gift legally as a private citizen.

So, what did your sheriff do?
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by alienbow View Post
      Does anyone happen to know who is over the Sheriff and his subordinates? This would be for Chatham County Ga.

I would appreciate the info.
      I think it would be the Coroner in terms of arrest powers

Comment

Based on my experience (albeit in another state), the only person that can remove a sitting Sheriff is the Attorney General, and there are many hoops to jump through.

If there are criminal actions involved, the process is greatly simplified.

Most AG offices have public officer corruption units. Certainly the FBI does. If that is the case, drop them a line.

Check out Georgia Law regarding Sheriffs. That would tell you more. State Law trumps county or city ordinance.
        Gimme a Diablo sammich and a Dr. Pepper, and make it snappy - I'm in a gotd**n hurry!

Comment

Scuba is right for Georgia. In the event that the Sheriff is removed from office whether it be death or arrest the county Corner assumes his duty until an election. The Corner also has the power to arrest the Sheriff if he is in violation of a serious crime. All of this is written in the Georgia Constitution and I think its in the Ga. LE Handbook. I remember going over this in the Academy.

But remember, this is at a local level. The GBI or any Federal LE Dept. can arrest a Sheriff for sure.
          Former: K-9/Drug Interdiction Officer

Helicopter pilot "non-LE"

sigpic

Comment

any peace officer can arrest the sheriff. just b/c he's the sheriff doesn't mean that he can not be arrested. the governor is the only one who has the power to remove him from office and the coroner would assume that role until a new sheriff becomes elected.
            Perseverate In Pugna

Comment

I was told by an administrative assistant that the County Commissioners are over the Sheriff. I wanted to see if anybody might know anything different from what I was told. It's not about anything illegal that the Sheriff has done, it's about something else. I need someone higher than the Sheriff to help me out. That's why I was asking. Everyone thinks the Sheriff has done something, LOL, he hasn't. Just trying to see who is over the Sheriff because I know that he has to answer to someone, just like the President has to answer to someone. Anyway, I appreciate the information everyone has given me.
              www.amyandwandasrants.blogspot.com

Comment

In my state, the County Board of Supervisors (the same as Commissioners) gets to determine how much money they want to give the Sheriff out of county funds for his annual budget (but they can't withhold state or federal funds from him). They can also refuse to pass county ordinances he may want.

To that end they have a limited degree of control over him if he doesn't play
                nice with them. I'm going to bet it is the same where you are.
                Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by Narco944 View Post
                  any peace officer can arrest the sheriff. just b/c he's the sheriff doesn't mean that he can not be arrested. the governor is the only one who has the power to remove him from office and the coroner would assume that role until a new sheriff becomes elected.

+1.
                  illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

I'm assuming that this is more of a civil matter rather than criminal, correct?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9091 users online. 396 members and 8695 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X