300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Capitol Police

Anybody know anything about the Department? The Staff Instructor at the academy said they recruit heavily at the academy.

Originally posted by Pauliegolf10 View Post
    Anybody know anything about the Department? The Staff Instructor at the academy said they recruit heavily at the academy.
    Well, I don't know too much specifically about the Capitol Police, but I can tell you from my own personal observations that they seem to do more security work than police work. When I went to visit the Capitol a few weeks ago to meet with a few state senators, all I saw were the CP officers conducting bag searches, operating the x-ray machines, conducting K-9 sweeps on trucks entering the building, and officers conducting routine patrol in marked police vehicles and bicycles. The starting pay for CP officers from the last time I checked was a mere $31,000 (which is common with state LE agencies). Starting pay with some of the local LE agencies in Tallahassee, such as the Leon County Sheriff's Office and the Tallahassee Police Department can range anywhere from $35-$40,000. I can imagine that CP would be recruting heavily since they face stiff competiton in regards to recruitment with the local departments when it comes to pay. In the end, getting a job and earning some work experince is what truly counts. Once you are able to complete those two tasks, then you can have your pick with any department that offers a higher salary and better benefits. So, if you wouldn't mind starting with a low salary and engage in non-routine policework, then give the Capitol Police a shot. Keep us updated on how it goes. Best of luck to you, and I hope this helps!
    Last edited by DJ Paul; 08-01-2008, 05:28 PM. Reason: Extra word

Comment

What Dj Paul is saying is about right.

I too have no experience with Fl CP, However, I got my start with CP in another state. I was there long enough to gain experience and get out as was some other officers. I would tell you the same if you can get it take get experience and move on. My error was I took the first place that offered a job the pay was 12k higher but the work was about the same security in a police uniform, so ultimately I just left the field altogether and moved here and got on with a small city PD. If you get CP what you have to bare in mind is you already have a police job now you want a police career, and begin looking large after year or two.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4053 users online. 211 members and 3842 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X