300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tampa PD, to good to be true?

I've always had a thing for FL living, I hail from south eastern VA in a city that is well above the national average when it comes to cost of living, with a ridiculous housing market, making a whopping 39k a year as a 3-4 year officer. Tampa is well under the national average when it comes to cost of living, and its housing market alone is 20% lower but they say an out of state officer with 4 years will make a little over 46k. Whats the catch? Any Tampa Officers out there? Pay seems very solid with alot of opportunity out there for its officers.

Best job in the state bar none. VERY competitive hiring process. Make sure you're squared away good. Lots of money to be made. Excellent salary/benefits/etc and plenty of opportunity for off-duty and overtime work. In fact, they've got so much OD work, that jobs literally go unfilled every night. Good luck, you'll need it. Also check out Hillsborough County Sheriffs Office.

Comment

When's the last time TPD has ever had a sponsored academy? I'm just curious?

Comment

Originally posted by Airlinerd View Post
        When's the last time TPD has ever had a sponsored academy? I'm just curious?

The way they used to do it, and as far as I know, it's still the same, is they would sponsor a few people at a time, and they would begin an academy class with self-sponsored recruits. Same curriculumn, etc, but they got paid to be there, and they wore navy blue TPD uniforms instead of the HCC recruit, light blue uniforms. When they graduated, they went to 'holdover' which is a couple weeks long and deals mainly with the high liability stuff, and is run by TPD instructors. This holdover must be attended by all recruits, even self sponsored recruits who get hired by TPD after graduation.

Comment

Thanks for the speedy response. I sent you a PM. It looks like a solid department, but with every department, there has to be some sort of issue. It cant be rainbows and unicorn petting zoos all the way around, know what I mean? Hows the Tampa area? I noticed its rather affordable overall. How large is the department 1000 plus? Any additional info would be great!

Comment

TPD help

A little more info. for the SE VA guy and his questions about TPD. Retirement is at 20 years at 63%, 25 years at 78%, 28 years at 88% and 30 years at 94.5 %. TPD officers pay into their retirement every paycheck, but it is no big deal for most if not all that work there because the salaries are so much larger then most agencies and the contribution is not that much. You get back what you put into at retirement in the form of a healthy monthly pension check. Don't get caught up in the FL state retirement thing just because it is a non-contributory retirement plan. It pretty much stinks and I have first hand knowledge. Off duty work and OT is plentiful as the other post said. Many officers make over 100k. Top out patrol officer base salary is over 75,000. It is really the only agency to try to get on if you want to be in Tampa Bay law enforcement. You will have to go to South Florida to find an agency that compares to TPD in pay. As for the negatives, well Tampa is a big city with lots of crime and wonderful public housing projects, but the crime rate has fallen. However, cops get shot and stabbed here just like any place else. It is also a stat driven agency now and the admin. pushes Compstat and the monthly Copper report to exhaustion Tix and arrests, tix and arrests. A street officer is expected to produce, produce, produce and then produce some more. Overall though it is a great place to work.

Comment

Originally posted by fl cop View Post
              Don't get caught up in the FL state retirement thing just because it is a non-contributory retirement plan. It pretty much stinks and I have first hand knowledge.

I hear alot of good things about FRS. Just curious as to what you know about it? Thanks for any info.

Comment

Thanks for the info. It just sounds like a great department. As for the stat game. I became a cop to "clean up" the streets. So taking bad guys to jail is the best part of the job.
                Last edited by 1345; 07-30-2008, 09:06 PM.

Comment

just wondering..1345 what dept w/ morale issues are you from? if you don't mind..

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4267 users online. 214 members and 4053 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X