300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traffic Fines

The state raised traffic fines again July 1st. I don't know the base state amount but in central our fines are, or will be when the clerk puts them out, $141.50 for moving and $94.50 for non. $95 for a seat belt? Does this seem excessive or is it just me? I believe people should pay for mistakes but this is getting out of hand. Fl is not a wealthy state and salaries are not increasing with the cost of gas, food, etc. Is this the legislatures' way of making up revenue when they sold Amend 1 to us? They don't have to give these tickets out to people, we do. I've stopped writing fix it tickets because after you pay the increased fine there's no incentive to repair the item, just pay the ticket...

Originally posted by PB3021 View Post
    The state raised traffic fines again July 1st. I don't know the base state amount but in central our fines are, or will be when the clerk puts them out, $141.50 for moving and $94.50 for non. $95 for a seat belt? Does this seem excessive or is it just me? I believe people should pay for mistakes but this is getting out of hand. Fl is not a wealthy state and salaries are not increasing with the cost of gas, food, etc. Is this the legislatures' way of making up revenue when they sold Amend 1 to us? They don't have to give these tickets out to people, we do. I've stopped writing fix it tickets because after you pay the increased fine there's no incentive to repair the item, just pay the ticket...
    There is no reason not to wear a seatbelt. I actually think the fine for that should be much higher.

The way people drive down here the fines should be double that in Miami Dade and Broward. A Leo down here will not stop you unless you did something really wrong. If he stopped every car for every little violation he would be stopping every other car on the road. Just this morning I saw 3 cars run red lights. The lights weren't turning red when they went though but completely red for at least 7 seconds when they went threw it.

If 95 was flooded with unmarked cars the Leos would have a field day stopping cars.

Comment

Is S Fl that way due to low fines or lack of resources for enforcement?

Comment

I would say that traffic enforcement in Dade/Broward takes a little lower importance over some of the issues down here.

Most departments just don't have the resources or manpower to devote to traffic enforcement, especially on the highways.

FHP is too busy handling crashes to be able to do any meaningful enforcment on I-95, the Palmetto, or the Dolphin Exwy.

Fines by the way or even higher in Miami-Dade:

Red Lights- $219.00
        Moving Violation - $154.00
        Non-moving- $101.00
        Seatbelt- $101.00
        Equipment violations- $83.00 (even after signed off by an officer)

Speeding fines are even more but I don't have the mailer in front of me.

Comment

Are these the new fines?

Comment

At least the non-moving should be lowered. There'd be more double tapping and more revenue. How many non traffic guys won't write tickets because of the fines? (And going to court) a lot around here. If they'd ever get around to making seatbelts a primary and make it a $30 or $40 fine not only would they increase the cites, revenue and usage but we'd recieve more $ from the Feds....

Comment

Originally posted by Miami-Dade View Post
              There is no reason not to wear a seatbelt. I actually think the fine for that should be much higher.

The way people drive down here the fines should be double that in Miami Dade and Broward. A Leo down here will not stop you unless you did something really wrong. If he stopped every car for every little violation he would be stopping every other car on the road. Just this morning I saw 3 cars run red lights. The lights weren't turning red when they went though but completely red for at least 7 seconds when they went threw it.

If 95 was flooded with unmarked cars the Leos would have a field day stopping cars.
              You're kidding.

Comment

I have to agree with PB3021 on this. I think that traffic fines are getting too expensive. For the average cop, traffic tickets are issued for "educational" purposes. More and more people are looking at tickets as a cash cow. Heck, a Clerk's office in south west Florida recently sent a letter out to each law enforcement agency TELLING them that they need to write more tickets.

I honestly think that the State of Florida would be better served by REDUCING the fines. Troopers and a lot of Traffic unit guys are going to write tickets no matter how much they cost, but lets face it. The average zone officer that doesn't really like traffic enforcement isn't going to want to be writing a non moving violation that costs the violator two days pay. I think the average officer is less likely to write tickets each time they raise the fines.

What really gets me is that a dirtbag could get arrested for having 19 grams of marijuana and he'll end up with a $100 fine. If a soccer mom gets caught doing 35 in a 25 it's going to cost her almost two hundred bucks.

When I started ten years ago, a seatbelt ticket was $45. Now, it's $91. That means the revenue for the local clerk's office has gone through the roof. Don't you wish that your "salary" doubled in ten years?

Comment

I would also like some of the fines to be set lower, but there are a few that I would like to see higher.

The "Move Over" citation needs to be on the same level as a red light ticket. I've been hit a couple of times, and it really bothers me that so many people I stop for this offense say that they have never heard of it.

I would love to have "non-moving" fines lowered, as well as seatbelts. I would also love seatbelts to be a primary offense.

Most of the patrol officers at my department do not want to issue a citation, even a non-mover, because they are getting so expensive.

It would also help if the courts (Escpecially the traffic magistrates) would actually adjudicate someone guilty. Getting someone actually adjudicated guilty is almost an act of congress (atleast in Miami-Dade county).

Comment

Im new on the job, but ill have to agree.

Its really tough handing out these citations when the fines are these high.

Sadly, these fines will be going nowhere but higher as time passes .

Comment

I'm with you (same county), I think some of the fines are starting to go nuts. I have no problem with writing some the $206 fine for running a red light or doing 20 over, but still having to pay $76 AFTER fixing the problem, or wanting to give someone a break and writing them for 9 over and them still having the pay over $100 is nuts.

Comment

this is why I issue failure to display DL on demand, Failure to Display Registration & No Proof of Insurance tickets....they get a citation & learn their lesson & if they don't have the items, they pay a full fine...otherwise, it is dismissed for $10

also, I hate going to traffic court & these citations don't end up there either...

Comment

I am curious, where did you get these traffic fine updates?

I am not doubting you PB3021, but I'd like some concrete info (a link perhaps)?

Comment

Here's a sample of the "cheatsheet" from the Seminole County Clerkof the Court. There's 15 pages, I don't know how to link it here...

316.605, FS No Tag/Registration/Obscured/Defaced/I

mproper Display 91.00
                            316.610, FS Improper Equipment 91.00
                            *With affidavit of compliance ($4.00 collected by the agency)
                            and penalty is reduced at TVB to: 71.00
                            316.614, FS Seat belt violations:
                            316.614(4)(a), FS Passengers/driver under 18 years not belted or in a device --
                            primary offense) 91.00
                            316.614(4)(b), FS Driver not belted (secondary action) 91.00
                            316.614(5), FS Front seat passenger over 18 years not belted (passenger to
                            be cited – secondary action) 91.00
                            316.614(6)(b), FS Passengers exceed seatbelts in pickup (secondary action) 91.00
                            *316.646(1), FS Failure to show proof of insurance 91.00

Other non-moving violations of Chapters 320, 322 and 403, Florida Statutes
                            STATUTE VIOLATION
                            *320.0605, FS Failure to carry registration 75.50
                            *320.07(3)(a), FS Expired tag/registration (expired six months or less) 75.50
                            *320.07(3)(b), FS Expired tag/registration (First offense -- expired more than six
                            months) 75.50
                            *320.131(3), FS Unlawful use of Temporary Tag (Expired 7 days or less –
                            MUST SPECIFY) 75.50
                            *322.065, FS Expired driver’s license (expired four months or less) 75.50
                            *322.15(1), FS Failure to carry and exhibit driver license 75.50
                            322.19, FS Failed to Change Name or Address on Driver License

Comment

Thanks, I appreciate it.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5320 users online. 290 members and 5030 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X