300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad news regarding OCSO sponsorship

I got some hard news today from a family friend who works in recruiting for OCSO. He basically said that sponsorships aren't really going anywhere and that he would recommend putting one's self through the academy. This really stinks as I know myself and quite a few others just finished the PAT and were awaiting background. Not to sure what to do now. Self sponsorship? FHP? Who knows?

Aren't really going anywhere? Does that mean they won't sponser anymore? FHP is a dead end financially. Good people there but the state will not take care of it's employees...self sponser, get it done, apply where you want.

Comment

Well FHP may be good if you're from Orlando area and want to return there....but you'll be locked in a two year contract with them.
      It is Attitude, not circumstance, that makes Success possible even in the most unlikely conditions.

Comment

I'd rather self sponsor myself (if possible) and go with OCSO rather than FHP.

Comment

I was hoping on this considering that I'm coming from NY. I hope other depts. don't start cutting their sponsorships.

Comment

You'd do the crossover, it's only 2 wks....dunno how much $ it is now though.

Comment

Hardly anyone sponser's....so please don't bank your career goals on the sponsership issue.. Cuz you'll fall flat on your face from the get-go...Unless your one of the few really lucky people.
              The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

Comment

I first began reading this site around January 2007. I remember reading post of a certain person attempting to get a sponsorship from OCSO. I self sponsored and began the academy in Feb 07. Since then I was hired and am almost a year on with OCSO. Long story short If you want to work, self sponsor. We have so much off duty you can pay back some student loans.

FYI that person still post here waiting to hear about a sponsorship.

Comment

Originally posted by JPGT_00 View Post
                  FYI that person still post here waiting to hear about a sponsorship.
                  ouch!

Comment

But how would someone coming from out of state be able to afford self sponsorship? It's $6000 and it's full time which won't leave much room for work and trying to pay for an apartment and food. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Comment

I thought there were quite a few agencies in the state of Florida who have lateral opportunities for out of state officers already certified?? They just have to take the CJBAT and learn Florida law or something like that? A friend of mine told me that, but I'm not sure if it's true or not... :-\

Comment

If you are a certified LEO from another state you may qualify for the state approved equivalency course.

http://www.fdle.state.fl.us/cjst/off...uivalency.html

Comment

Originally posted by wheels64 View Post
                          I thought there were quite a few agencies in the state of Florida who have lateral opportunities for out of state officers already certified?? They just have to take the CJBAT and learn Florida law or something like that? A friend of mine told me that, but I'm not sure if it's true or not... :-\
                          I started out with BCOPD... Woodlawn for 3 yrs.

Comment

Originally posted by WNBFLA50 View Post
                            If you are a certified LEO from another state you may qualify for the state approved equivalency course.

http://www.fdle.state.fl.us/cjst/off...uivalency.html
                            For those that are certified this would work, but what about the ones that aren't that are coming from out of state.

Comment

I just found out that they offer night and weekend hours for the academy.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4583 users online. 245 members and 4338 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X