Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FWC Info

Hi guys,
    Just trying to find out some info on the current hiring. I see that they are in the process now, but does anyone know if they are strict or will hire anyone?
    I understand they are one of the lowest paid but the job sounds like the sacrifice of money is worth it.

From what an FWC officer told me, the selection process is pretty tough, as is the background investigation. FWC does not use a polygraph or cvsa, so their background is the real deal, no quakery shortcuts there. The pay for FWC officers is low, but remember that the training they go through is very extensive, more so than ordinary LEO's (due to the nature of FWC duties) so the investment made by the state is significant. That means that they will be more selective in choosing candidates before putting them through the training.
    FHP:

1) APPLICATION: 03/2010
    2) PAT: 06/2010 PASSED
    3) POLYGRAPH: 11/2010 PASSED
    4) PSYCHOLOGICAL: 1/2011 PASSED
    5) MEDICAL AND VISION: 2/2011 PASSED
    6) BACKGROUND: PENDING
    7) COLONEL'S DECISION: PENDING
    8) ACADEMY: PENDING

Comment

My brother is FWC and the process is tough....you should have the appropriate wildlife degree to make things easier. PS100 is right in saying that they are the lowest paid and one of the hardest working. My brother loves working with the wildlife aspect but finds himself doing other stuff like traffic, backing local agencies,mantracking and dope. He loves his job though and ignores my pleas for him to come to the "dark side" and become a Deputy. If you are going to this department make sure you have a love for the job and what it entails otherwise you will get demotivated and jump ship. Like other departments they are also facing tons of budget crisis...they closed down their full time academy and they now train the law enforcement aspect with a regional academy.
      "When I came home, people often asked me about Iraq, and mostly I told them it wasn't so bad. I didn't know how to explain myself to them. The war really wasn't so bad. Yes, there were bombs and shootings and nervous times, but that was just the job. In fact, going to war is rather easy. You react to situations around you and try not to die. There are no electric bills or car payments or chores around the house. Just go to work, come home alive, and do it again tomorrow." - Brian Mockenhaupt

Comment

As a side note...be advised that these guys are not just "critter cops" as some in law enforcement would think. They are fully trained peace officers and have to carry out full peace officer duties as any peace officer would....basiclly you are a state cop that deals with wildlife as well. You will be dealing with more than just writting people tickets for no fishing license.
        "When I came home, people often asked me about Iraq, and mostly I told them it wasn't so bad. I didn't know how to explain myself to them. The war really wasn't so bad. Yes, there were bombs and shootings and nervous times, but that was just the job. In fact, going to war is rather easy. You react to situations around you and try not to die. There are no electric bills or car payments or chores around the house. Just go to work, come home alive, and do it again tomorrow." - Brian Mockenhaupt

Comment

Originally posted by cantue5 View Post
          backing local agencies
          lol...every time they arrest somebody or get into a chase the us forest service and my agency ends up taking care of it. they end up calling for us to run code to their location for stupid crap. they have never once helped me out on a call (other than when i request them to come out to record road kill bears) or checked to see if i was ok on a traffic stop. dep officers at least stop rather than driving by. i always handle wildlife and game calls (except dead bears) myself because i called them a few times and they told me to handle it. now i just dont bother. other than that, i would love to work for fwc or dep and have the toys but the pay sucks.

Comment

Is the PAT cooper standard or the obstacle course?

Comment

Luckydog...
              My bro says that this is true with too many of their officers and that they are giving their department a bad rep...my bro stops to help the locals and gets calls for mantracking for them but says that he gets alot of attitude from them. Funny because the way you describe them is the way he describes the locals to me (his excuse for not coming over to the "dark side"). Maybe you have just run across the slackers.

Comment

Every agency has it's "few" that won't do anything for a fellow LEO... But you just have to remember to look at the big picture, and FWC has a LOT of great people that help...
                The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

Comment

That is true every agency has a few, but when there are only a few in the area you have to make your judgement based on those few and one can only belive the rest are the same.

There a now a ton of FHP in my area and the notion of FHP being, you know what is starting to change alot. Then again there is a new generation of Trooper out there. I have nothing but the up most respect for those guys.

Comment

what is the pay and schedule again for fwc?

Comment

Pay schedule should be on the website...although every department has their "quirks" this is still a good department. Like anything else it is what you make of it. Since my brother joined I have been nothing but impressed with this department. My .02.

Comment

i couldnt find it on the site :?

Comment

Stand by...I'll try to find it for you. If I can't I'll ask my brother.

Comment

If you actually copy and paste this entire address in the address bar it willl take you to the question portion of the website where this question was answered. May have other info that you need.

http://askit.myfwc.com/cgi-bin/myfwc...i=&p_topview=1

Comment

Has anyone here applied for this cycle? I see that the cutoff or closing is on the 30th of june. How long after that is the actual PT test and interview?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8252 users online. 448 members and 7804 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X