Pembroke Pines

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pembroke Pines

So I just passed the state exam and now I have dual certification in NC and FL. Currently a police officer, lots of education, yada yada. So I've started kicking out applications and today I received a call from Pembroke Pines who states that along with the my certification that I have to do a swim test and agility test at a local comm college before my app can even begin to be processed. Is this the norm for departments or am I having to jump through more hoops? I don't mind doing testing etc, but having to pay for the flight, hotel, more courses when I already have my state cert and before even beginning the process seems a bit skewed. Any thoughts?

Originally posted by Ursao View Post
    So I just passed the state exam and now I have dual certification in NC and FL. Currently a police officer, lots of education, yada yada. So I've started kicking out applications and today I received a call from Pembroke Pines who states that along with the my certification that I have to do a swim test and agility test at a local comm college before my app can even begin to be processed. Is this the norm for departments or am I having to jump through more hoops? I don't mind doing testing etc, but having to pay for the flight, hotel, more courses when I already have my state cert and before even beginning the process seems a bit skewed. Any thoughts?
    I just checked a few of the other PD's websites to make sure, but it seems that all the departments that I checked, small and large, need you to take the Agilities and swim test.

The swim test is good forever after you take it and the agility test is good for all departments for 6 months.
    “The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him."

Comment

Pembroke Pines? Isn't that the place Ponch from Chips is seen advertising on those late night infomericals?

Comment

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxx.

Comment

yea thats normal for all departments.

Comment

Swim Test

Originally posted by So Fla Cop
            North Miami or North Miami Beach do not have a swim test. Most will make you take the local test.
            They once did though. The test were dropped due to lack of minority applicants so to speak. For every BROWARD agency and agencies in DADE along the beach, the swim test is required certified or not.

Comment

Originally posted by justhomp View Post
              I just checked a few of the other PD's websites to make sure, but it seems that all the departments that I checked, small and large, need you to take the Agilities and swim test.

The swim test is good forever after you take it and the agility test is good for all departments for 6 months.
              I don't mind at all having to do any tests within the process but the endless hoops just to get into the applicant pool is a bit counterproductive for those of us who already have state certifications.

Comment

Thats because there is no swimming involved in the certification process.

If you've ever been to South FL, I'm sure you seen the number of pools, ponds, lakes, canals, bays, and other water ways including the ocean, all around.

Comment

Originally posted by Ursao View Post
                  I don't mind at all having to do any tests within the process but the endless hoops just to get into the applicant pool is a bit counterproductive for those of us who already have state certifications.
                  I hear ya, but I think it's good to have at least those two tests. I mean, there are canals and bodies of water EVERYWHERE around here, so you need to know how to swim. The agility test is self explanitory.

The rest of the process should be simple and I bet you can get hired on before you have to worry about retesting...

At least you're already certified.
                  “The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him."

Comment

I'll be waiting on the tests until a department calls me and starts to put me through the process so I don't have to throw away money and time by flying back and forth without even being in the process yet. I don't see why a dept wouldn't allow me to go through the background/interview first and then make the agi/swim as part of my conditional employment offer. This seems more reasonable for those of us who are out of state and wishing to move to Florida after already having completed EOT and the state exam.

Comment

They should let you do the swim and agility when you come down for your interview. Both tests are easy and are done in about 1.5 hours.

Comment

Originally posted by Pete12 View Post
                        They should let you do the swim and agility when you come down for your interview. Both tests are easy and are done in about 1.5 hours.
                        That is reasonable and I would have no problem in doing that.

Comment

Stay away from Pembroke Pines. Thats where guys go to retire, and even then they leave after a couple years. They have little to offer, last I heard nothing more than a 401K, and politics, politics, politics. If you want a career handling barking dog complaints and running radar, they are for you. If you want to actually be a policeman, go elsewhere.
                          Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.
                          Thomas Jefferson

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
                          Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by miami-k9 View Post
                            Stay away from Pembroke Pines. Thats where guys go to retire, and even then they leave after a couple years. They have little to offer, last I heard nothing more than a 401K, and politics, politics, politics. If you want a career handling barking dog complaints and running radar, they are for you. If you want to actually be a policeman, go elsewhere.
                            Your post made my night. =-) Thanks for the heads up as I'm currently trying to escape the insane politics of my current department and I definitely want to remain being a real cop. =-) Is the dog in the picture yours? It's beautiful. I have two Rotts that I spoil like children.

Comment

Is there a South FL department without politics?

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9135 users online. 363 members and 8772 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                              X