300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• coral springs pd

Does anyone have any current info on the coral springs pd? I will be graduating in may with my BA and am looking at getting out of NJ to somewhere warm. Seems like they are a pretty decent department to work for. Are they a very competitive agency to get on with? How are they along with other departments on accommodating out of state applicants?

Check PM....
    Jeff

:< Never argue with an idiot....They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience >:

Comment

They're the highest paid in Broward and have a lot of new equipment.

Other then that....
      “The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him."

Comment

Good place to be a glorified security guard.

Comment

Originally posted by pfmartinez View Post
          Good place to be a glorified security guard.
          Wasn't going to say it. I know a lot of officers in the department and they're good guys, they're just bored.

Things are starting to ramp up though. The turds are making their way up to the "nice" areas and are starting to hit Coral Springs. They'll be in the soup soon.

"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him."

Comment

Coral Springs is a good department from what I have heard. I agree it does seem like a slow area. Hollywood is another good department but they are a bit harder to get on with and seem to be tough with new recruits ie tend to fire/lose a lot of new officers either on FTO or soon after. Miramar is also a very good department that has a city with a very nice area and a not so nice area. 4 on 4 off work schedule, good pension, best equipment and toys ect. IMO those are the best departments in Broward county but it just depends what your looking for

Comment

i am also looking into Coral Springs. Does anyone know what thier call volume is like? I saw one poster describe them as glorified security guards....how true is that? Not saying I deal with shots fired every night, but I work for a town now that is very upscale and has 4 apartment complexes that keep us busy. The residential neighborhoods are VERY quiet, the activity comes from the self initiated MV stuff and the apartments.

With 100,000 + residents, I would assume by sheer numbers that there has to be some level of shatbag activity.

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz262 View Post
                i am also looking into Coral Springs. Does anyone know what thier call volume is like? I saw one poster describe them as glorified security guards....how true is that? Not saying I deal with shots fired every night, but I work for a town now that is very upscale and has 4 apartment complexes that keep us busy. The residential neighborhoods are VERY quiet, the activity comes from the self initiated MV stuff and the apartments.

With 100,000 + residents, I would assume by sheer numbers that there has to be some level of shatbag activity.
                Depends on where you work. Two of my good friends work for CSPD and we talk about it all the time. So this is what they've told me: Most of the time you get the average calls about noise, alarms, suspicious persons, domestics, etc... But they're seeing an influx of people coming from other cities and counties (Miami mostly). They've had shootings, bank robberies, chases, etc. There was a homicide just this past week.

The main positive is while other cities have a severe shortage (like FLPD) CSPD has great coverage. That mostly cuts into the activities. Also, CSPD is very "Community Policing" oriented. The have a lot of patrol officers, but few detectives or hirer, so promotions are hard to get. One of my friends is actually considering leaving for either a Fed job or another city due to lack of promotions available...

The reason so many people say that they "don't do anything" is you can drive through CS and see an officer initiate a traffic stop and you'll see 4 or 5 cars come out of no where to back them up. Or sometimes late at night you'll drive by a parking lot and see four cars sitting there.

They're a good agency. Lots of money, lots of officers, and a very pro-LE community. They're very picky about the people the hire as you need a degree of some sorts and anything negative could push your application back.

Good luck.

Comment

Still sounds better than my place. We have 65 guys and even fewer opportunities for other assignments. With 200+ guys there will be more room for movement than where I'm at! And as far as 4 cars coming to back me....I say the more the merrier. Better than being short on Mids and not being able to get a back when you get crashed into by a stolen car and hav eto give chase on foot! (as like what happened to me last weekend!)

Do you know what schedule they work?
                  Last edited by Jazz262; 02-21-2008, 01:57 PM. Reason: add

Comment

Still sounds better than my place. We have 65 guys and even fewer opportunities for other assignments. With 200+ guys there will be more room for movement than where I'm at! And as far as 4 cars coming to back me....I say the more the merrier. Better than being short on Mids and not being able to get a back when you get crashed into by a stolen car and hav eto give chase on foot! (as like what happened to me last weekend!)

Do you know what schedule they work?
                    Most of the departments down here have at least 200+ sworn, so you definitely won't be alone.

I'm not sure of their patrol hours, but last I heard they work 4 on 4 off, 11.5 hr days, but that could have changed. Next time I talk to the guys I know, I'll double check.

Comment

Thanks I'd appreciate that. I currently work a 5 on 2 off, 8 hour day and we rotate shifts every month, with no change in sight. Needless to say IT SUCKS!!!

Comment

Thanks I'd appreciate that. I currently work a 5 on 2 off, 8 hour day and we rotate shifts every month, with no change in sight. Needless to say IT SUCKS!!!
                        You sound like me. LOL, I work for the Highway Patrol and we have a 5 on 2 off...that sucks...But in the future I see us going to 4/3's or some other sort of shift.
                        As far as CSPD, great place to work by what I hear. I have a few buddies working there and they seem to like it. I actually live in the city of coral springs and I love it (at least the part of my town is nice and quiet). If I ever leave the Highway Patrol, Coral Springs would be my number #1 choice.

Comment

Yea i've been kickin around the idea of trading NJ for FL for about a year now. I've been down to see some of the areas, trying to compare west coast and east coast, have family on the east coast. Something about the west coast of FL just doesn't have me sold, however I did like the Ft. Myers area a lot.

It's insane how hard it is to transfer departments in NJ, and my current department just doesn't have what I want. It's a shame, but it's 100 times easier to leave the state and get another police job than it is to stay here and try.

So far i've heard good things about Coral Springs, it's very much like the agency I want to work for up here, only Coral Springs always takes applications and the one up here has a test once every 3 years!!

Comment

Coral Springs PD = breaking up 20 high school parties a night (correction - half the high school kids have dropped out), usually it's the same kids going to another house each time the current house gets blown up by the CSPD, at least that was how it was when I lived in Broward. Then there are the fights in the taco-bell parking lots around 2am between the kiddies.

According to some old friends who are LEO's down in Fla now, not much has changed. I do agree that the turds further south should be hitting the area hard in the near future. Might be a good time to get on...
                            sigpic

Comment

I just interviewed with them and was turned down. I hear they are very hard to get into.
                              FHP:

1) APPLICATION: 03/2010
                              2) PAT: 06/2010 PASSED
                              3) POLYGRAPH: 11/2010 PASSED
                              4) PSYCHOLOGICAL: 1/2011 PASSED
                              5) MEDICAL AND VISION: 2/2011 PASSED
                              6) BACKGROUND: PENDING
                              7) COLONEL'S DECISION: PENDING
                              8) ACADEMY: PENDING

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9514 users online. 347 members and 9167 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X