• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No More Florida Highway Patrol?

Florida Highway Patrol Faces Uncertain Future

POSTED: 4:27 pm EST January 31, 2008
    UPDATED: 9:05 pm EST January 31, 2008

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- The men and women who work with the Florida Highway Patrol to keep state roadways safe could soon face some major changes at the hands of a government agency that's looking at ways to save money.

Many drivers think the FHP troopers just write speeding tickets along the interstates, which is actually a good portion of their job and a revenue source for the state, but now some lawmakers are looking at several different options for the future of the FHP.

The first recommendation involves moving the FHP to the Florida Department of Law Enforcement, which includes the state detectives who handle major crimes in Florida.

The second recommendation is to move the FHP to the Department of Transportation, which builds and maintains roads.

The third choice is to make the FHP their own agency that would no longer be affiliated with the division.

The fourth option is to do away with the FHP completely.

The recommendation to possibly do away with the FHP has Jacksonville Sheriff John Rutherford up in arms.

Rutherford said with the budget cuts he has to make he couldn't understand why the state would consider having local police pick up the slack if the FHP went away.

"Here he is with one of the options is to do away with the Florida Highway Patrol and put that responsibility on me, and then when I increase revenue to cover that additional responsibility he wants to paint me the bad guy. I am furious about that," Rutherford said.

The four recommendations came from a government agency in Tallahassee that looks at state programs in search of money-saving changes.

The FHP has a $217 million budget.

Reporter Jim Piggott went to the FHP headquarters on Normandy Boulevard to talk to them about the proposals before the Legislature. They agreed to talk, but after contacting their superiors they said they could not comment.

However, Sen. Stephen Wise could comment, and told Channel 4 he disagrees with any plans get rid of FHP.

"I think that has probably gone too far. I think FHP is a very good organization and has been here a long time. They patrol the interstates, and that real function that is necessary especially in the rural areas," Wise said.

Thursday afternoon, Channel 4 received an email from FHP director Col. John Cernis. Cernis wrote:
    "We believe that it is essential to the safety and well-being of the people of Florida that the patrol continues to provide law enforcement services on our highways. Ultimately, our state leadership, after a comprehensive and thorough review, will determine what is in the best interest of our state. We have the utmost confidence in their work and their support of the Florida Highway Patrol."

Copyright 2008 by News4Jax.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

http://www.news4jax.com/news/15187950/detail.html

Holy s***, FHP has a smaller budget the Broward Sheriff's Office! That is unbelievable...
    “The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him."

Comment

Wow this is bad....I'll still pursue employment with them, but it makes you wonder about long-term prospects. At least once you're certified you're certifie, and that's it.
      FHP:

1) APPLICATION: 03/2010
      2) PAT: 06/2010 PASSED
      3) POLYGRAPH: 11/2010 PASSED
      4) PSYCHOLOGICAL: 1/2011 PASSED
      5) MEDICAL AND VISION: 2/2011 PASSED
      6) BACKGROUND: PENDING
      7) COLONEL'S DECISION: PENDING
      8) ACADEMY: PENDING

Comment

Whoa, WTF????

Does this mean I should start exploring my options?

A man should never be ashamed to own that he has been in the wrong, which is but saying... that he is wiser today than yesterday. Jonathan Swift 1667-1745

It's only a conspiracy when your party is not in power.

Comment

Imagine all those deputies doing long forms?
          Wow.... I had to completely relearn them when I went city....
          I didn't wake up and decide to arrest you. You made that decision. You are just some paperwork and overtime in my life.

Comment

The first and third options are the only ones that make sense.
            It wouldn't hurt to make FDLE and FHP one agency and it should have never been a department of the DMV.
            Making it part of FLDOT just doesn't make sense at all.

Comment

For once, I somewhat agree with Duo. Combine FDLE and FHP and transform it into the "Florida State Police."

Comment

First option would create STATE POLICE..... hmm?
                NJDOP
                Written Exam - 93.5
                NYPD
                Written Exam (June 2007) - 88

Comment

State Police will never happen! The Florida Sheriffs Association will not let that happen.

The FHP will not be going anywhere. The public will not let it happen. If FHP will be disbanded, there will be a huge public outcry.

Comment

Thats the problem with a State Police. The Sheriff's Association wouldn't put up with that, and rightly so.
                    I think the best thing would be to disassociate the Highway Patrol from the Division. Budget wise it would probably help the HP since the legislature can put money directly into the patrol instead of the DMV.

Comment

Originally posted by MidCareer View Post
                      For once, I somewhat agree with Duo. Combine FDLE and FHP and transform it into the "Florida State Police."
                      the fla sheriff's are not going to have that for sure, i think if they go state police they are under the gov, and thus more power etc.....

the f.h.p. should retreat outta south fla gracefully, and patrol north of
                      martin county/; stuart, the sheriff's southward would get the manpower money and add to it if nescessary for full time highway unit/ dedicated units.

the trouble is, we have farmers, chicken farmers, fuller brush salesman in
                      the state capital who know nothing of police work/ corrections thinking
                      1950's era nonsense because they never been down here or lived here and
                      their 1 flashing lite county encompasses the fla in their pea brains.
                      " if you talk in your sleep, don't mention my name....
                      " if you walk in your sleep, forget where you came....

Comment

Putting like entities together only makes sense when your trying to save money. Florida Marine Patrol and Game and Fish were combined several years ago, and I voted for that. Guess what? It worked! FDOT MCC, FHP and DOA LE should all be put in the same basket as well. Vehicle inspections, crashes, pulling over log trucks and writing tickets will also go hand in hand. I know someone is going to get upset over me saying this... but, I know nobody likes change. Also why we'er at it, throw in FDLE.
                        "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Saving tax dollars with sense

Originally posted by Blueribbon View Post
                          Putting like entities together only makes sense when your trying to save money. Florida Marine Patrol and Game and Fish were combined several years ago, and I voted for that. Guess what? It worked! FDOT MCC, FHP and DOA LE should all be put in the same basket as well. Vehicle inspections, crashes, pulling over log trucks and writing tickets will also go hand in hand. I know someone is going to get upset over me saying this... but, I know nobody likes change. Also why we'er at it, throw in FDLE.
                          I'm NOT upset; it makes alot of freakin sense and thats the problem with our state legislature and govt. powers that be, which are impowered to make descisions on these issues. Talk about spending state budgetary monies; why haven't they gone to one unitized look for all state officers? Yes, we voted unity of the agencies as mentioned earlier ie;FHP, FWC, MCCO but why aren't there patrol cars the same in appearance? Think of the money saved to order vehicles that look alike no matter what it is( chrger, f-250, crown vic ) there badge or uniform can look different as long as citizens recognise them as an LEO with state powers. Just an idea to save myself more tax dollars......ashame maybe I should run for office???

ref your last statement about "change" it's only the dinosaur administrations in small podunk towns mostly North of Orlando/ Tampa areas.

Comment

Originally posted by MidCareer View Post
                            State Police, State Patrol, Highway Patrol? Whats the difference? I thought different states just called them differnt things. But I think they basically do the same job. Enforce highway traffic laws and handle wrecks. Insmaller communities they answer calls for service. ALL state Troopers do that dont they?

I mean her ein GA the GSP works the highways in large cities, and they answere calls in small towns.

Comment

alpha1906... Here is the bulk of the FHP officer's responsibility from the FL state statute 321.05(1):

To patrol the state highways and regulate, control, and direct the movement of traffic thereon; to maintain the public peace by preventing violence on highways; to apprehend fugitives from justice; to enforce all laws now in effect regulating and governing traffic, travel, and public safety upon the public highways and providing for the protection of the public highways and public property thereon; to make arrests without warrant for the violation of any state law committed in their presence in accordance with the laws of this state; providing that no search shall be made unless it is incident to a lawful arrest, to regulate and direct traffic concentrations and congestions; to enforce laws governing the operation, licensing, and taxing and limiting the size, weight, width, length, and speed of vehicles and licensing and controlling the operations of drivers and operators of vehicles; to cooperate with officials designated by law to collect all state fees and revenues levied as an incident to the use or right to use the highways for any purpose; to require the drivers of vehicles to stop and exhibit their driver's licenses, registration cards, or documents required by law to be carried by such vehicles; to investigate traffic accidents, secure testimony of witnesses and of persons involved, and make report thereof with copy, when requested in writing, to any person in interest or his or her attorney; to investigate reported thefts of vehicles and to seize contraband or stolen property on or being transported on the highways.
                              "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12521 users online. 500 members and 12021 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X