300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diabetes

I'am a 34yr male,i have both my eyes that seems to work very we'll. i have all ten of my fingers, and all ten of my toes that seems to work very we'll and, all my teeth that seems to be there when i smile. i passed all of my steps to land a job with a police dept got to the last step in the hiring stage the physical passed it but the doctor failed on the physical because of my diabetes, which is in control but he voice his concern to the dept that in the long run. i would cost the ins money company and the dept man hours because of my diabetes.have anybody heard of this if so please reply but thats what happen when you keep ur integirty. hey but remember cheaters never win.

Diabetes Here

I've been working for 5 years with a state agency and I diabetes. I'm 33 and mine is well under control with diet, and medication. Umm, it sounds like they discriminated against you. Look into it..

Comment

I don't know how it works there in FL, but here in NY if you're disqualified for any reason you can appeal it, one of my friends was disqualified because he failed the hearing test and he appealed their decision and got all the test done by a certified Audiologists and passed all the test given by the Audiologists and got a letter from the Audiologists and submitted the letter from the Audiologists saying the his hearing won't affect his ability to preform the job of a LE and submitted all the test and than got accepted.
      "Why you harassing me?"

Comment

You need to contact an employment discrimination attorney ASAP.

Comment

Even though it is a pre-existing condition, if your diabetes is made worse by the job (which it can be - odd hours, eating on the run, job related stress, sudden exertion without warm-up) the department can be liable under workers comp laws for lifetime treatment costs and to compensate you for your loss in value to the job market - at least in California.

But that is only a minor concern. Even when under control, diabetes can have a major, negative impact on your performance as a police officer. For further information on this issue go to: http://www.post.ca.gov/selection/pdf/Endo.pdf

Medical standards regarding diabetes will vary from agency to agency and yes, there are cops out there who are diabetics (including me - now retired). However, they usually develop this condition after they have been hired and once they've been diagnosed, they usually keep their mouths shut about it rather than run to management and say, "Gee boss, I've got diabetes. Guess you'll have to fire me." In addition, once employed, the ADA prohibits employers from acting against an employee's interests until their medical condition demonstrates that they can't do the job, so if you are already working, the department usually won't screw with you unless you start having diabetes related incidents.
          Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

L-1, Thank you for your input. Very informative piece of information. Living and working with diabetes (especially as a police officer) is very challenging as I'm sure you know.
            Thanks again.

Comment

Check out the EEOC website at eeoc.gov and see if they have any literature on your particular situation.

Comment

Also, police records are public information. Maybe you can find a person who has the same kind of diabetes as you. If you find someone with the same type, it gives you a lot of ground to stand on in the appeals process. If not, screw 'em, there are a lot of agencies that will take you!

Comment

EEOC's view on it

I've had juvenile diabetes for 30 years, and am a police officer. It used to be that agencies could use diabetes not to hire someone, but that is rapidly becoming an antiquated practice, so long as you can show control of it. You definitely have a cause of action against the agency and doctor, hsi comments should have been limited to your physical ability to perform the job functions. Here's what the EEOC says about this situation specifically:

What should an employer do when it learns that an applicant has diabetes after he has been offered a job?

The fact that an applicant has diabetes may not be used to withdraw a job offer if the applicant is able to perform the fundamental duties ("essential functions") of a job, with or without reasonable accommodation, without posing a direct threat to safety. ("Reasonable accommodation" is discussed at Questions 8 through 11. "Direct threat" is discussed at Questions 12 through 14.) The employer, therefore, should evaluate the applicant's present ability to perform the job effectively and safely. After an offer has been made, an employer also may ask the applicant additional questions about his condition. For example, following an offer, an employer could ask the applicant how long he has had diabetes, whether he takes any medication, and whether the condition is under control. The employer also could send the applicant for a follow-up medical examination. An employer may withdraw an offer from an applicant with diabetes only if it becomes clear that he cannot do the essential functions of the job or would pose a direct threat (i.e., a significant risk of substantial harm) to the health or safety of himself or others.

Example: A qualified candidate for a police officer's position is required to have a medical exam after he has been extended a job offer. During the exam, he reveals that he has had diabetes for five years. He also tells the doctor that since he started using an insulin pump two years ago, his blood sugar levels have been under control. The candidate also mentions that in his six years as a police officer for another department, he never had an incident related to his diabetes. Because there appears to be no reason why the candidate could not safely perform the duties of a police officer, it would be unlawful for the employer to withdraw the job offer.
                  Last edited by chicubs; 08-17-2007, 11:08 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5657 users online. 265 members and 5392 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X