300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Central Florida PD’s and SO’s

To my brothers and sisters to the north, I figured I’d reach out to you guys since you’d know best. I’m currently a LEO in South Florida and have been for the past 12 years. The wife and I are considering a change in venue due to the increase in crime, population and cost of living. Most importantly it’s for the benefit of raising my children in a nice community. What am I’m interested in learning is what are the cities or neighborhoods to look at and what agencies, in your experience, seem like solid places to work for. At this point in my life I’m considering any and all places in the central florida area. Thank you all and stay safe.

Central Florida is not too far off from South Florida in terms of crime, etc. I work in South Florida myself so I understand. If I were you, look at NE Florida.

Comment

Somewhere on the Emerald Coast? Destin?

Comment

I appreciate it but we still have family down south and would like to be somewhat close in case of emergencies.

Comment

I'm a S FL guy too and as JediWarrior said, Central Florida is just as bad, if not worse in terms of crime, as South Florida. Orlando even lead the nation in homicides one year several years ago or was right up there. Crime, including violent crime, is very high in Central Florida, as it is in S FL. You might be able to find small pockets like maybe a Windermere or so that are small communities/agencies, but it's going to be similar to here. Cost of living isn't cheap up there anymore either. As the other guys stated, you might have to look into Northern FL, other than Jacksonville (high crime) to find what you are looking for, but pay will be low. It's all relative I guess. Wish you and your family the best of luck in whatever you all decide.

Comment

It might be a little far north for you, but check out Citrus County SO. Hands down the best agency I've ever worked with.

Comment

Have you considered FHP? Starting pay is going to $50,000 July 1st. $55,000 in select counties. Also, there is plenty of overtime available if you want it. The other benefit to working for the state is that if you feel like moving in the future, you only have to put in a transfer versus getting hired and starting all over at a new place.

Comment

Originally posted by SFLLEO12345 View Post
                I appreciate it but we still have family down south and would like to be somewhat close in case of emergencies.

Comment

Lol thank you all for the feedback, I really appreciate your input.

Comment

Originally posted by SFLLEO12345 View Post
                    Lol thank you all for the feedback, I really appreciate your input.

Im a little confused. You want to give up your seniority after 12 years to move to a place that has the same if not higher crime rate, same price in housing, same population? And your family is in S Florida.

Comment

With all the new construction going on up there and the equity I have on my home, I won’t owe very much on a new home up there. I already looked down here, broward, and and I can’t get anything close to size I can get up there. Sometimes there’s things that are more important than seniority and with all the growth up there, my seniority will be back to where it is in no time. Like I said I do appreciate your input, but I too am a little confused. Please don’t interpret this as argumentative, I’m just trying to understand better. If you work in south Florida, how do you know about all the crime in central Florida? Do you have friends that work up there or is this stuff you see on the news? If you do I’d really like to chat with them to get first hand knowledge and experience with the agencies and areas up there.

Comment

Just for your reference, Tampa PD and Hillsborough deal with shootings and homicides almost daily, as does St. Pete PD. Polk County and Lakeland make the news all the time with their unbelievable crime. Hillsborough, Polk, Pasco are exploding with population. I'd go farther North if you're trying to get away from all of this
                        Last edited by Boss762; 05-10-2022, 10:39 PM.

Comment

I don’t mind running calls. It makes the day go by faster. I’m looking for a nice community to finish raising my family in and a solid LE agency to work for.

Comment

Have you considered Port St. Lucie, Melbourne, Titusville areas? The Spacecoast is pretty affordable and I've heard Port St. Lucie has a fantastic and high paying department.

Comment

• Florida Smokey
                              Florida Smokey commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I got sent to Port St. Lucie years ago for a hurricane detail. They were a great department to work with.

Stay put. Don't start over unless you are in FRS.
                            September 11, 2001 - All gave some, some gave all. Never forget -- Never forgive.......... RIP Brothers and Sisters.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3687 users online. 231 members and 3456 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X