300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FHP Pay

Does anyone know what the FHP pay step plan is? There website is very clear on starting pay, but no where have I been able to find the step increases. I have reviewed many FHP threads and no one has covered this. I am currently and LEO in Illinois and considering a move to Florida. I am interested in FHP but want to make sure it is affordable.
    henderson.nich
    Forum Member
    Last edited by henderson.nich; 11-16-2021, 07:29 PM.

I don't know their pay scale, but I know it's low. All state agencies aren't going to pay too much. They usually have good equipment, but unfortunately low pay. FHP has a high turnover rate due to pay. Many new Troopers do a short time there and then usually move on to a municipal police department or county sheriff's office for better pay/benefits. Also FRS (state retirement) which all state agencies, sheriff's offices, and a few police departments use is terrible.

Comment

I've heard the same mentioned above,... that the pay is very low.

I can understand wanting to stay local in your home state of FL, but transferring in seems like a stretch for the low pay.

Comment

I can help you out with this. FHP, or any Florida state agency does not currently have a step plan. They were eliminated decades ago. Depending on where you are assigned, a new Trooper will make between 41 and 46,000. Raises are given out by the state legislature, normally as a percentage. There are lots of options to supplement your income however. Also, yes, local agencies can pay more than a state agency. There are hidden savings as well. Some local agencies charge an arm and a leg for health insurance. We pay a flat $180.00 a month for family coverage. If you have ten kids, it's still $180.00 a month. I know some locals that were paying eight or nine hundred dollars just for insurance.

Having said that, FHP just submitted a huge pay increase to the legislature and so far they have had pretty positive feedback. Our governor is a pro law enforcement governor and has recognized that we are way behind in pay. That really jumped out at him when he sent FHP to Texas to work the border and the Texas Troopers were being paid well and his weren't.

At any rate, FHP has been a wonderful career. I can't imagine doing anything else. My chain of command is fantastic. The upper command staff is excellent. And all in all I'm very satisfied with the way my career has gone so far. Hope this helps!

Comment

• henderson.nich
          henderson.nich
          Forum Member
          henderson.nich commented
          Editing a comment
          If you don't mind me asking. How often does FHP get raises? Are raises typically given every year or do you go a few years without? Also, how difficult is it to get into K9? I am currently a K9 handler in Illinois. I appreciate your initial response and input thus far!

• Florida Smokey
          Florida Smokey
          Forum Member
          Florida Smokey commented
          Editing a comment
          Raises can only be granted by the state legislature. So, typically, we get them once a year although there have been years where we didn't get anything. Yesterday, our governor held a press conference in Orlando regarding our pay. This year he is requesting a 20% increase in our starting pay and a 25% increase for currently employed state law enforcement officers. He is also requesting another thousand dollar bonus for all Florida officers.

Getting into our Contraband Interdiction Unit is competitive, but your experience should help you out a lot. But you'll have to wait two years to put in for it. CIU is one of several specialty positions that pay an extra two thousand a year.

Originally posted by Florida Smokey View Post
        I can help you out with this. FHP, or any Florida state agency does not currently have a step plan. They were eliminated decades ago. Depending on where you are assigned, a new Trooper will make between 41 and 46,000. Raises are given out by the state legislature, normally as a percentage. There are lots of options to supplement your income however. Also, yes, local agencies can pay more than a state agency. There are hidden savings as well. Some local agencies charge an arm and a leg for health insurance. We pay a flat $180.00 a month for family coverage. If you have ten kids, it's still $180.00 a month. I know some locals that were paying eight or nine hundred dollars just for insurance.

Having said that, FHP just submitted a huge pay increase to the legislature and so far they have had pretty positive feedback. Our governor is a pro law enforcement governor and has recognized that we are way behind in pay. That really jumped out at him when he sent FHP to Texas to work the border and the Texas Troopers were being paid well and his weren't.

At any rate, FHP has been a wonderful career. I can't imagine doing anything else. My chain of command is fantastic. The upper command staff is excellent. And all in all I'm very satisfied with the way my career has gone so far. Hope this helps!
        This is great to hear. I looked it up and here is the press conference Gov. Desantis held stating what you said. Thanks for the insight. They are submitting for a 20% pay increase for new state LEO in order to attract new applicants and a 25% pay increase for current state LEO. I would say that’s pretty darn good.

https://youtu.be/3Y_c5X9mQz4
        Echo5rome0
        Forum Member
        Last edited by Echo5rome0; 12-19-2021, 07:47 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4045 users online. 253 members and 3792 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X