Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Florida Police Officer Physical Standards

Hello All,

I just graduated from college with a B.A. in Criminal Justice and live in Ohio. I believe I have decided to move to Florida as I have always wanted to be a police officer in a warm climate . I was wondering if someone would be able to tell me what the state physical standards are for police officers? In other words, what are the requirements of the physical test at the end of the academy (if there is one)? In Ohio it is 33 Pushups and 40 Situps (one minute each) and a Mile and a half run in 11:58 or less. I would like to shift my training focus to your standards so I'm better prepared. Have applied to Coral Springs and Delray Beach. Thanks folks.
    Jeff

:< Never argue with an idiot....They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience >:

we hired a former state cop, who was certified and he is excesss
    450 pounds....so thats how desparate we are......
    " if you talk in your sleep, don't mention my name....
    " if you walk in your sleep, forget where you came....

Comment

The standards here are less then what you have mentioned. Dependning on the agency, but most adhere to the PAT test which is basically an obstacle course that you should have NO problem completing. There is one agency in my area that requires you to run a mile and a half in 12:51, 30 situps in a minute, bench 99% of your body weight and leg press 188% of your body weight. They also do a body fat compostion. That is the only ageny that I have heard of that has those standards though. I doubt you will have any problem.

Comment

Originally posted by ftlaudcop View Post
        I have read many posting about how many job openings there are but why does it seem like for out of state at least Fl has made it hard for some one to get in.

Comment

I found this. If there is no state standard, then can somebody explain what this means:

POLICE ACADEMY INFORMATION
          WHILE ATTENDING A POLICE ACADEMY EACH TRAINEE MUST DEMONSTRATE A PHYSICAL PROFILE CONSISTING OF THE FOLLOWING PERFORMANCE LEVELS:

Police Academy Profile Test

Minimum 100%
          Pull-Ups (no time limit)
          8 12
          Sit-Ups (2 minutes)
          72 85
          Push-Ups (2 minutes)
          48 60
          Treadmill (1 minute)
          35 41
          Bend & Twist (1 minute)
          48 60
          Squat Thrust (1 minute)
          27 35
          Half Mile Run
          3:50 3:00
          Job Task Course
          2:00 1:25
          Jeff

:< Never argue with an idiot....They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience >:

Comment

Where did you find that? Never seen it.

Comment

Broward County Community College Academy Information Booklet.
              Last edited by Jethro1984; 04-29-2008, 11:00 AM.
              Jeff

Comment

Not sure, it's academy specific so just give them a call. My class was the last class who got the "try your hardest" deal. Every class after that had to pass to get in. I think that's good though, because we have to many fat, unhealthy officers out there who couldn't catch grandma if sht took off running let alone a crack head..

Comment

Well this isn't to get in, this is once you are in. The PAT test to get into the academy is different and not nearly as involved.
                  Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by ftlaudcop View Post
                    What??? WTF??? Are you sure????

A man should never be ashamed to own that he has been in the wrong, which is but saying... that he is wiser today than yesterday. Jonathan Swift 1667-1745

It's only a conspiracy when your party is not in power.

Comment

B.C.C Police academy standards..

The last physical test for Broward community college police academy is 12 pull ups no time,85 sit ups in 3 minutes, 60 push ups in 2 minutes, 61 bend and twists in 1 minute, 41 treadmills in 1 minute, 30 squat thrusts in 1 minute. Then you have to run half a mile which is 2 laps around the track in around 4 minutes then you do the complete obstacle course in under 2 minutes.. You have to do 3 of these physical tests througout the academy, for the majority of the departments its a must to pass the 3rd or you will not graduate. I dont remember the exact time you have for some of these its been a while since i took my last test but its along those lines,maybe a minute more for some thats it. You can atleast get the idea of what they require..

Comment

JCouto:

I did the test you were describing a couple years ago, and these are the times from what I remember...

2 lap run on track: fastest= 3:00, minimum=3:40
                        push ups: 2 min....... best = 60, minimum = 48
                        bend & twists: 1 minute
                        sit ups: 2 minutes...... best = 85, minimum = 73
                        pull ups: best = 12, minimum = 8
                        treadmill = 1 minute
                        squat thrust = 1 minute......best =35?, minimum = 27?

Every rep. has a point assigned to it. For example, if you run the 1/2 mile in 2:45, then thats 100%. That means you can only do 6 pull ups (2 below the minimum) and still pass. I think you need a 75% over all to pass. Every exercises "minimum" amount equals to 75% and the maximum is 100%.

Comment

I'm getting ready to apply to a Broward agency and is info is really helpful because I want to make sure I can exceed the standard before I even start. My only question is what is the treadmill excersize? In the Army we did one called the cross-country skier, is it anything like that?

Comment

Great info Mikis.

Comment

Lets just put it this way... If you cannot meet standards, or just barely pass, you probably shouldn't be in a position to protect others or your co-workers.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5818 users online. 365 members and 5453 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X