Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

palm beach sheriff truth or scare tactic

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • palm beach sheriff truth or scare tactic

    Palm Beach sheriff, seeking hefty budget hike, threatens to lay off 125 deputies

    By Leon Fooksman
    South Florida Sun-Sentinel
    Posted June 12 2007


    Up to 125 deputies could be laid off if the Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office has to trim almost $15 million from its proposed $425 million budget for the next fiscal year, Sheriff Ric Bradshaw told county commissioners Monday.

    For its 2007-2008 budget, the 3,812-employee agency is seeking $41 million more than the $384 million allocated for this year.



    LocalLinks

    But county administrators are requesting the Sheriff's Office reduce its spending by almost $15 million as part of a scaled-down county budget, depending on property-tax changes enacted by the Legislature.

    Laying off so many deputies would be the worst-case scenario, Bradshaw said. The agency's proposed spending already is tight from soaring personnel costs and overtime attributed to investigating violent crime, he said. Still, the department could make further trims -- to reduce the replacement of aging cars, for example -- but such cuts would hurt the response to police callouts, he added.

    "Our budget's already cut. This is as far down as it could go," Bradshaw said.

    The sheriff said the new budget includes cuts to basic service.

    In a bid to save on overtime, deputies would not respond to non-emergencies, such as reports of fraud, if they occurred at the end of their shifts. Instead, deputies from the next shift would go. The result: Residents could wait 45 minutes or longer for deputies to show up.

    The agency also would cut back routine police patrols by reducing the time deputies spend cruising neighborhoods, checking shopping centers and doing traffic enforcement. Deputiesassigned to school anti-drug programs and some community policing deputies would be moved.

    Part of the soaring cost is because of efforts to jail many of the 6,000 suspected gang members in the county, Bradshaw said. Overtime for running the violent-crimes and gang-suppression task forces is estimated at $200,000 a month, he said.

    Some commissioners suggested the Sheriff's Office look for alternative ways to fight crime.

    "Maybe we need more Guardian Angels on the street," said Commissioner Burt Aaronson, referring to the civilian crime-watch group that recently arrived in Lake Worth to root out drug dealers and gang members.

    Commissioner Mary McCarty laid out a budget plan that would force every area of county government -- including the sheriff -- to cut expenses equally. She said the sheriff and deputies should sacrifice union pay and benefit increases in order to bring down costs.

    Staff Writer Josh Hafenbrack contributed to this report.
    " if you talk in your sleep, don't mention my name....
    " if you walk in your sleep, forget where you came....

  • #2
    It seems that a lot of words are being pushed around all over the state concerning the property tax issue. Here the threat is to take all the school resource officers out of the schools. The only problem with that is that the school board pays half of the officer's pay. So to take them out and put them on the street would mean a direct increase to the police budget of 3/4 of a million dollars to pay all of the officer's pay. When they want to trim the budget, that looks like a no brainer. So before every one goes off half cocked, let the legislature pass a bill. Then we'll figure it out.
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

    Thomas Jefferson

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by ftlaudcop View Post
      "Maybe we need more Guardian Angels on the street," said Commissioner Burt Aaronson, referring to the civilian crime-watch group that recently arrived in Lake Worth to root out drug dealers and gang members.
      Idiot........

      Comment


      • #4
        Next time the commissioner needs a Deputy to respond to his house he should call a gardian angel instead, see how much that helps.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by ftlaudcop View Post
          Commissioner Mary McCarty laid out a budget plan that would force every area of county government -- including the sheriff -- to cut expenses equally. She said the sheriff and deputies should sacrifice union pay and benefit increases in order to bring down costs.

          Staff Writer Josh Hafenbrack contributed to this report.
          Hmmm. I hope Mary plans on taking a significant cut in her salary as well. Somehow I dont think she will. There seems to be this mentality that cops make too much money. If they only knew...

          Comment


          • #6
            I thought they made out like bandits with a 28% raise. What happened to that. I think the only guardianangels out there should be the angels that guard us while on duty(typing in his masculine voice)
            LET IT RAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by LATIN COP View Post
              Next time the commissioner needs a Deputy to respond to his house he should call a gardian angel instead, see how much that helps.
              We had the Guardian Angels in Jacksonville for a while, they caused more problems then solved.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by deputyryan View Post
                Hmmm. I hope Mary plans on taking a significant cut in her salary as well. Somehow I dont think she will. There seems to be this mentality that cops make too much money. If they only knew...
                The majority of the state constitutions do not allow a change of pay during the current term of an incumbant.
                That's what they do, it's a trailer park.

                Comment

                MR300x250 Tablet

                Collapse

                What's Going On

                Collapse

                There are currently 5695 users online. 312 members and 5383 guests.

                Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on Yesterday.

                Welcome Ad

                Collapse
                Working...
                X