MOST E-MAILED
    (last 24 hours)
    1. 30-foot whale shark found dead in ocean off Boca Raton Inlet
    2. Couple abducted at gunpoint from Disney World parking lot
    3. What the property tax talk means to you
    4. Terry Coburn swims near the dead whale shark
    5. A little money, lots of time can make teen a millionaire
    See the complete list ...

Click here to subscribe today to the Sun-Sentinel or call 1-877-READ-SUN.

LocalLinks

I read Brian Haas' recent story on pay and staffing issues of the Fort Lauderdale Police Department, and I must say I found it amusing.

Allow me to provide some approximate numbers, and just maybe their officers won't feel so bad. I am an 18-year veteran of the Florida Highway Patrol and a 46-year native of Fort Lauderdale. I would like to offer some comparisons of our two very different departments. Mr. Haas' story reflects that a 10-year FLPD officer can expect a salary of $63,897.

Well, a 10-year FHP trooper is in the area of $43,000, so their billboard indicating they are the lowest-paid police officers in the county is inaccurate. I will be eligible to retire in seven years with 25-plus years of service, and it is likely I will never see a figure like $63,897.

Also, the difference in salaries between a three-year trooper and a 19-year trooper might be $5,000 or less. When the officers at FLPD say they have a morale issue, just try to imagine what our morale is like. Are you kidding me! Now, how about staffing. We are staffing three shifts to cover the entire area of Broward County with 30 troopers, that's approximately one trooper for every 58,000 citizens and growing. Our population and number of vehicles being driven continue to grow rapidly.

Unfortunately, our manpower is not. Sadly, it's our citizens that also suffer because less troopers on the road means longer response times to crashes or incidents involving crimes, such as road rage or arresting the impaired driver who just ran you off the road. On our midnight shift, it is not uncommon to have only one or two troopers covering the entire county. How's that for staffing or officer safety issues? When we have a holiday period and the news claims that there will be additional troopers on the road and beefed up enforcement, not likely. Truth is, there may be as many as 14 or as little as one on the roadways in all of Broward County.

Yes, I along with all my colleagues agree with the FLPD. We, too, would appreciate salary increases and the luxury of additional help; however, with the FHP it's a lot harder. Our problem is the state Legislature. Whether it's the cost of gas, property taxes, car insurance, homeowners insurance or groceries -- you name it, it keeps going up. Once again this year, we were denied any type of raises by legislators, not even a cost-of-living increase. They decided to give us a one-time, $1,000 bonus, which works out to about .05 cents an hour. Any one of our troopers would love to earn $63,897.

So, if there's truly "trouble in paradise" at FLPD, as it mentions in the article, we at FHP welcome FLPD officers to join our agency. We are always accepting applications!

Barry R. Radanof works for the Florida Highway Patrol and is a resident of Davie.
    " if you talk in your sleep, don't mention my name....
    " if you walk in your sleep, forget where you came....

Barry, I sympathize with you somewhat. However, let's take a look at what responsibilities you have as a trooper compared to the average patrol officer in FLPD. Troopers basically handle accidents and write tickets. If you guys do anymore than that, let me know. The average patrolman handled his own accidents in his city plus every type of service call you can imagine. So there is the difference in pay my friend. Both jobs are dangerous, but the FLPD patrolman is ten times busier and handles a lot more.
    Professional Courtesy
    Fort Pierce, FL Reply »
    |Flag |#2 15 hrs ago
    Why don't we stop bashing each other and the others jobs and get along. There are enough people out there that truly would like to hurt us. Yes our jobs are different but the threat is the same. Although they are different colors, our uniforms are the same. We both need raises but belittling your brother doesn't help your cause. Grow up!!!
    Mark
    Kingston, PA Reply »
    |Flag |#3 15 hrs ago
    Hey Barry,..... there isn't a test to leave the Patrol and apply elsewhere.
    Hannibal
    Pompano Beach, FL Reply »
    |Flag |#4 15 hrs ago
    Since when does the Highway Patrol do police work? They only write tickets and investigate accidents. I compare them to our Public Service Aids, which do the same thing unarmed. It is not fair to compare apples and oranges!! Try comparing Fort Lauderdale with another city of it's size in South Florida. That would be an article to read!!! Thanks to our good brother Barry...not...
    Do the math
    |Flag |#5 13 hrs ago
    I agree that a raise should have been given to the troopers instead of a $1000 one-time bonus.

But to set the record straight,$1000 divided by 2080 working hours in a year equals 48 cents per hour. That's almost 50 cents per hour, not almost 5 cents per hour.
    Whiners
    |Flag |#6 13 hrs ago
    The FLPD starts whining about salary every 3 years when their union contract is being negotiated. It's as regular as clockwork.
    One thing they usually fail to point out: the city contributes 48% of the officers' pay to their pension plan. Almost one-half!
    So for an officer earning $30 per hour ($62,400 annually), the city contributes an ADDITIONAL $14.40 per hour to the pension plan ($29,952 annually!) This is over and above the amount that the officer contributes to the pension.
    YIKES!!!!
    Good Job
    AOL Reply »
    |Flag |#7 13 hrs ago
    Nice ....write a letter to the media....now that is good judgement.
    ESAD
    Miami, FL Reply »
    |Flag |#8 12 hrs ago
    Barry, thanks for throwing fellow LEO's under the bus so you can point out how bad it is at FHP. Though I'm not surprised a Trooper would write such an editorial. If it's so bad at FHP, FLPD is accepting applications aswell, on second thought don't bother applying we have enough rats already. Go eat some more cheese.
    Trooper
    Webster, FL Reply »
    |Flag |#9 9 hrs ago
    I'm 17 year veteran with Florida Highway Patrol who has been a Sergeant for nearly 5 years and my salary is significantly less than that of a 10-year FLPD officer. We at the Highway Patrol as well as all State Law Enforcement feel the pain FLPD is going through. We have suffered through this pain for years, but no one seems to notice. Especially our state legislatures. Yet they are quick to ask for our assistance during times of need, such as hurricanes, wildfires and other civil disorders. FLPD keep your heads up, we are right there with you. You wont have to worry about being short handed much longer, there are many State Officers shopping for better paying jobs at this very moment!!
    allahbunchacrap Reply »
    |Flag |#10 9 hrs ago
    what about the 40 -50 dollars and hour FHP makes working private security details???? They use state issued cars and gasoline when they are on these side jobs- dont they??? Plus free donuts and coffee. And dont forget Lionel Tates mother - we sure are getting our monies worth there.
    You are Incorrect
    Seffner, FL Reply »
    |Flag |#11 9 hrs ago
    allahbunchacrap wrote:
    what about the 40 -50 dollars and hour FHP makes working private security details???? They use state issued cars and gasoline when they are on these side jobs- dont they??? Plus free donuts and coffee. And dont forget Lionel Tates mother - we sure are getting our monies worth there.
    Troopers do not get to use their state owned cars for free...they have to pay back the state for the use of the car for off-duty. Also, I think the important point is that all LEOs, including Troopers should be paid a reasonable amount so that they do not have to devote themselves to working so much off-duty work that both their professional and personal life suffers.
    Forest
    United States Reply »
    |Flag |#12 8 hrs ago
    911 Hangup wrote:
    Barry, I sympathize with you somewhat. However, let's take a look at what responsibilities you have as a trooper compared to the average patrol officer in FLPD. Troopers basically handle accidents and write tickets. If you guys do anymore than that, let me know. The average patrolman handled his own accidents in his city plus every type of service call you can imagine. So there is the difference in pay my friend. Both jobs are dangerous, but the FLPD patrolman is ten times busier and handles a lot more.
    Yes, that's everyone's perception of what we do, however; I invite anyone for a ride along while we work a shift on I-95. Bring your running shoes because you'll need them. Let's see it seems I just read an article about a trooper being hit while he assisited one of our south florida drivers who ran out of gas and stopped in the center lane, Duh. And another one hit on the shoulder during a traffic stop a couple of month ago. Most city agencies won't go near the interstate do to the danger of being hit at any time w/o warning.
    Louie
    Palm Beach Gardens, FL Reply »
    |Flag |#13 8 hrs ago
    Trooper Radanoff, thank you for your service. As I thank all LEO's nationwide.

I'm a retired officer from a very large P.D. Fwiw, 20 years ago I worked with the late FHP Trooper D.L.H.

I absolutely understand your frustration and am awed by the morale your dept displays. At least publically.

The sacrfices LEO's routinely make go largely unnoticed.
    By the public, the administration and our own.
    But we keep on going because it's what we believe in. Thanks again.

Remember the Thin Blue Line.
    May God Bless us all.
    Barry
    United States Reply »
    |Flag |#14 7 hrs ago
    Do the math wrote:
    I agree that a raise should have been given to the troopers instead of a $1000 one-time bonus.
    But to set the record straight,$1000 divided by 2080 working hours in a year equals 48 cents per hour. That's almost 50 cents per hour, not almost 5 cents per hour.
    Sir, you are correct. I had'nt noticed my typo on the original letter, it should of indicated (.50). I apologize for the misinformation, however; thats also a figure prior to taxes.
    Real cop
    AOL Reply »
    |Flag |#15 7 hrs ago
    Hey Barry,
    Thanks for throwing your brother LEO's under the bus. I also would expect nothing less from a trooper. Shouldn't you spend less time writing articles and more time writing cops traffic tickets? I used to think the troopers in South Florida were different (better) than the rest, but now I know. You know nothing of brotherhood and are one step above a meter maid!
    Sig-14
    United States Reply »
    |Flag |#16 7 hrs ago
    911 Hangup wrote:
    This comment is interesting. Why is it then FLPD officers don't make DUI arrest. The number one killer of our motorist and a large marjority of their officers don't know how to, or won't make a DUI arrest. They call BSO.
    Sig-14
    United States Reply »
    |Flag |#17 6 hrs ago
    911 Hangup wrote:
    This comment is interesting. Why is it then FLPD officers don't make DUI arrest. The number one killer of our motorist and a large marjority of their officers don't know how to, or won't make a DUI arrest. They call BSO.
    WHATEVER
    Tallahassee, FL Reply »
    |Flag |#18 6 hrs ago
    allahbunchacrap wrote:
    Troopers have to pay the state back @ 44.5 cents a mile wile using their patrol car off duty, provide their own liability insurance coverage on the vehicle, pay out of pocket for any damage incurred while off duty all while not being covered by workers compensation.
    I don't think this article was written to begin an agency bash, which really boost public perception, but to make a point as to the unfair pay practices of the state. Oh, I'm pretty sure that the FHP was out patroling the city with FLPD during hurricane Wilma, all while making significantly less money. Apparently most of the real cops here would find it easy to tell the FHP, who has lost more officers to gunfire than any other agency in the state, that they don't deserve a fair and decent salary because they are not real cops.
    sheriff lobo
    Fort Lauderdale, FL Reply »
    |Flag |#19 5 hrs ago
    well if poor barry needs or deserves a raise,

all sworn state officer need one,

probation and parole
    corrections
    atf
    list is endless.....

every agency is hiring,

and you know about the pension deal
    bso or margate road or jail

take yr pick...
    Trooper
    AOL Reply »
    |Flag |#20 4 hrs ago
    No agency in the entire history of the State of Florida has had more officers killed in the line of duty than the Florida Highway Patrol, Ft.Lauderdale doesn't even come close. And its about fifty-fifty half died from gunfire and half from accidents

Comment

As a civilian applying to be a reserve officer - (Yes, someone who will work with the patrolmam for free) -

I am appalled at the attitude displayed towards each other here. Although the responsibilities are different, that does not make one better or worse than the other. Everyone here knows that as soon as an individual puts on a uniform with a badge on it, they are a target to the criminal element!

Those that bash any Law Enforcement Agency - border, FHP, Sheriff' Office, should be ashamed! Nice example set here for the rookies that looking up to the seasoned officers for guidance.
      Last edited by hixclan; 06-11-2007, 09:21 PM.

Comment

You all need to get along, too many bad guys out there to be fighting amongst yourselves.

But the question i have is why do people go the FHP if they know they can make way more money elsewhere. I only scanned the article but i believe it was a 18 year FHP veteran was making like 43K? Thats like 3k more than my starting salary. How do you attract good candidates when you can work in LE elsewhere in the state and make way more?

Also, is your shortage do to the state not wanting to fill the ranks, or the inability to attract qualified candidates?

Comment

what was up with that article ?? Troopers bashing city cops pay ??
          "I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy.'"

President John F. Kennedy

Comment

I wish they would get paid more money on all state levels not just
            f.h.p............

also, which is a big no no in broward county, he stroked a speeding
            ticket to a b.s.o. deputy on the way home from work.......

chastizing would have been sufficient.....

was like a poodle writing a great dane, as far as physical size....
            this pay issue will never get resolved, maybe a bone thrown out once
            in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by hixclan View Post
              As a civilian applying to be a reserve officer - (Yes, someone who will work with the patrolmam for free) -

I am appalled at the attitude displayed towards each other here. Although the responsibilities are different, that does not make one better or worse than the other. Everyone here knows that as soon as an individual puts on a uniform with a badge on it, they are a target to the criminal element!

Those that bash any Law Enforcement Agency - border, FHP, Sheriff' Office, should be ashamed! Nice example set here for the rookies that looking up to the seasoned officers for guidance.
              I am with you, Sir! But you know what the bottom line is? In the time of need we all stick together, Rest Assured!!

But it's unfortunate and embarrassing, I agree, that this takes place in a public forum for all people to see and think, Florida Law Enforcement Do Not Get Along! I must have to say to those viewing this forum, "It is not that way"! This is just a few ignorant people that make ALL OF US look like we do not get along. 99% of us cops do get along and respect what each other does! We shoot ourselves in the foot! It's also sad to see that "some police" not all, think they are better cops because they work a barking dog, loud music, stolen lawnmower or domestic all day long vs. a crash or write tickets. Tell that to a victim in a crash and see how they feel! Tell that to a person who had there family killed by a drunk and see how they feel!

Also in regared to a trooper writing tickets to other cops, that problem lies with every dept or agency that can write a ticket. I know of many deputies and city cops that have written each other and or troopers. So, just because of one or two fools in that agency, does not mean we are all that way! I have never written a cop! I refuse to write a cop!!

Grow up children, we carry a gun and a badge! I think the public deserves men & women to take care of them! A stolen lawnmower case or a crash, does not make you a better, worst cop or trooper if that's all you do!. I'm sure we all can perform each other's job! This is definitely not a rocket scientist job. All it takes is common sense!!

As for the trooper writing the article, he needs to understand that there is always someone worst than he is as well. So let those trying to get theirs, Get Theirs!! Dont try to block the agency from getting a raise just because we dont get one!!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6814 users online. 362 members and 6452 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X