300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ft Lauderdale PD

Does anyone have any information on this agency? Good points? Bad Points? pay, Quality of Life?

they are going thru some bad times now,
    they have a micro manager city manager who has ruined
    the agency , it went from a being a pit bull agency on crime to a poodle.
    19 or 21 new hires have quit since jan 2007.

very expensive to live here or actually in the city
    you pay for your pension,medical.
    equipemnt is good....Posted: 06/02/07 00:07:19 Post subject: Lauderdale police say pay, staffing too low, crime up

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lauderdale police say pay, staffing too low, crime up

By Brian Haas
    South Florida Sun-Sentinel

June 2, 2007

FORT LAUDERDALE · All is not well at the Fort Lauderdale Police Department, according to a new union survey.

Morale is abysmal, the city is a bad place to work and things just aren't going in the right direction, the local Fraternal Order of Police survey of more than 300 police employees found. The respondents represented about 65 percent of the department's workers.

Then, there's the pay issue, advertised on a newly erected billboard off Sunrise Boulevard just west of Interstate 95. It reads: "Your Fort Lauderdale Police Officers want to Thank You for your support. Paid for by the lowest paid Police Officers in Broward County."

"There's trouble in paradise" said Sgt. Mike Tucker, union vice president. "This place used to be paradise to work."

More than 94 percent of those surveyed said morale at the department was poor or very poor, according to the union.

Sixty-seven percent said the city isn't a good place to work and more than 83 percent wouldn't recommend working there.

About 90 percent said they think the city is moving in the wrong direction.

Police Chief Bruce Roberts could not be reached for comment Thursday or Friday. City officials dispute the survey as nothing more than tactics to influence contract talks.

"The FOP has -- maybe an agenda is too strong a word here -- a perspective that is being used to leverage their position at the negotiation table," said Assistant City Manager David Hebert. "I would not lend validity to the FOP's actions at this stage."

For the billboard, union officials surveyed Broward police agencies to determine how much a 10-year veteran makes, a common figure used to lure new recruits.

Fort Lauderdale is at $63,897 -- second-lowest in the county, after Lauderhill. The union worries that officers will leave and current salaries will make recruiting more difficult.

"We're not asking to be paid like doctors. We're not asking to be paid like lawyers. We're asking to be paid competitively with others in our career field," said Sgt. Mitch Van Sant, second vice president of the police union.

Hebert countered that the city's own surveys show that if all the benefits a Fort Lauderdale officer receives are included, the department is competitive. He said the city results were not available because they are still being compiled.

The union says violent crimes rose over the past three years, yet the department remains understaffed by more than 40 officers.

Hebert said the number is closer to 35, but the department is below 1990 staffing levels, according to statistics kept by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement.

"Crime waits for nobody and if there are less cops on the streets, crime will rise," Tucker said.

Hebert said the department has an adequate number of officers and that they are able to do more with less these days. He said statistics for the last 18 months show overall declines in crime.

"We remain effective in addressing the issues of crime," he said. "The truth is, this is a success story."

The city's crime statistics, however, show increases in homicides, rapes, robberies and aggravated batteries from 2005 to 2006.

The police union contract ends Oct. 1 and despite the acrimony, Hebert said he's confident the city and police union will find common ground.

"I am absolutely convinced and committed that this department will be treated equitably and fairly and has every right to expect that to be the result of our contract negotiations," he said.
    " if you talk in your sleep, don't mention my name....
    " if you walk in your sleep, forget where you came....

Comment

There was a shortage of ftos & those that had experience got burned out. There was an endless cycle of new recruits that needed to be trained & the ftos weren’t getting their time off. It trickles down to the ftos having no motivation to properly train new hires. As far as the fto program, you have some ftos that have no business being ftos. They themselves have not been properly train little long have any type of education to back it up. Those new recruits are finding out that whatever they were taught about officer safety in the academy is quickly overwritten by erroneous tactics taught by this slug ftos. Do most people get through the fto program yes, but some are no better trained than when they got out of the academy.

The job of the fto is to motivate, train, advice, & insure that new recruits are able to conduct themselves & go solo. It is not the job of an fto to disqualify new recruits based on whatever prejudice they have on a particular race or culture. 30% of recruits are extended in Fort Lauderdale for one reason or another, less than 5% don’t make it.

Comment

If you came from another department where there was unity or any kind of closeness between officers than you will probably not like it here, noone looks out for each other and everyone is pretty much out for themselves, sometimes its almost like working alone, and if you are not from Florida just be warned officers here dont look out for each other especially if you work for a different dept, officers down here give each other tickets

Comment

South Florida is a different ballgame for you out of state leos. As far as unity, FLPD officers don’t have the worst comradery in South Florida, trust me there’s a lot worst agencies. The problem with FLPD is that some officers are getting burn on the job but rather than call it quits & seek quality of work elsewhere, they remain & bitch & moan worst than a pregnant woman. All you hear from these people is how bad FLPD sucks yet they do nothing about it. You won’t find any of these people in the FOP meetings. They are not the type of people who volunteer to get things done. Basically they don’t answer to radio calls, they go 10-8, 10-6 at the beginning of their shift to work on last nights’ reports, are always late for roll-call & expect a big raise at the end of the year with a birthday cake.

Comment

Don't do it... We have lost 19 Officers since January 2007 because of the administration and our city manager (and the rest of his staff).Until those people our gone it's not going to be a good place to work. But if you want to work for BSO than come on over because if we keep losing people they will eventually have to take over.

Comment

There Is No Mistaking That Ft. Lauderdale Is The Toughest City In Broward County. There May Be Other Cities That Have Some Rough Hoods But Ft. Lauderdale As A Whole Is One Rough Place To Work.

Having A Council Member Sticking His Nose Where It Doesnt Belong Doesnt Help You Guys Out Very Much. Coming From A Fellow Broward County Officer I Wish You Guys The Best. I Was Always Told By My Family Members That Police Work Was A Thanksless Job.

Why Don't We Listen ? Parents Are Usually Right.

Comment

Originally posted by alpha1906 View Post
                Does anyone have any information on this agency? Good points? Bad Points? pay, Quality of Life?
                Ftlaudcop just quoted you some excerpts from the infamous site, “leoaffairs.com”. But let me tell you something, before I joined FLPD, and before I joined the US Army, I heard conflicting and horror stories that turned out to be true. Never the less I still joined both. There’s no experience like the one you live for yourself. There’s no need to sugarcoat anything about Fort Lauderdale. This agency is going through some rough times and the officers are feeling the brunt of the storm. If you got what it takes and if you’re motivated to do some police work , then this is the agency for you.

Comment

I like the way they conduct business, lived in the city for 21 yrs.....

davie and federal and dixie and 17th ( the hood)

all quite thank god

Comment

Yeah things are pretty bad, but we as entry level patrolman still go out and bust our butts, and produce good work for this crummy city
                    "I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy.'"

President John F. Kennedy

Comment

Originally posted by navycop04 View Post
                      Yeah things are pretty bad, but we as entry level patrolman still go out and bust our butts, and produce good work for this crummy city
                      Any word on if you guys are going to get the contract you deserve this October?

Comment

(CBS4) FT. LAUDERDALE Low morale, low pay, and even lower prospects of things getting any better any time soon.

Those are the findings of a survey taken by the Fraternal Order of Police of more than 300 of its members who serve as City of Ft. Lauderdale police officers.

Nearly 95-percent of those surveyed said morale at the department was poor, or very poor. Nearly the same amount responded that they feel the city is moving in the wrong direction. As for salaries, the police union said the city pays near the bottom of the barrel. They said their survey of salaries for veteran officers in various departments in the area found those in Ft. Lauderdale were the second lowest paid in the county, only Lauderhill paid less.

Union officials also said the city is understaffed by 40 officers which is puts residents in danger. They point to the city's own crime statistics that show an increase in homicides, rapes, robberies and aggravated batteries from 2005 to 2006.

dl

Comment

im thinking about joining ftl pd. Ive heard all of this but i still want to work there. Im getting my application ready right now. for all you ftl cops I printed out the app from online and it was much smaller then all of the other ones. I think I printed the one for regular city workers. Do you guys have a link for the application to make sure I got the right one and what else do i need to include.

Comment

Originally posted by mrmyz View Post
                            im thinking about joining ftl pd. Ive heard all of this but i still want to work there. Im getting my application ready right now. for all you ftl cops I printed out the app from online and it was much smaller then all of the other ones. I think I printed the one for regular city workers. Do you guys have a link for the application to make sure I got the right one and what else do i need to include.
                            You can print one out directly from the FLPD website. http://www.flpd.org

You can also submit your app. online through the city's site.

However, unless you physically go to City Hall and pick up the application, they're just going to send you another one to fill out. So make a photo copy of what you submit so you can make sure it lines up with the other, more detailed one they'll send you later on.

Good luck.
                            “The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him."

Comment

The best thing I ever did was leave FLPD. If you want to see an example of NOT how to run a PD, just look here... For the officers that remain, I wish you luck in dealing with all the garbage that comes down from city hall.

For those who don't know about Ft Lauderdale, the city manager will have dispatch hold priority calls so you can handle parking complaints in his neighborhood, he will buy generators with city money and take them to his friends houses during a hurricane, he will demand officers leave their hurricane shelter during 100 mph winds and patrol the streets because we don't get FEMA money while you are at a shelter. This guy is a little Hitler and cares nothing about the officers. I could go on, but it would take hours.....
                              Work harder! Millions on welfare depend on you...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5279 users online. 324 members and 4955 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X