300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• South Florida

Current NJ officer looking to make the move to the fort lauderdale area. Signed up for EOT in early May. Wanted to know if anyone had any info or worked for any departments in the area besides Ft. Laud. and Boca which I have read about on here a lot. Possibly Sunrise, Plantation, Davie, Coco Creek, Coral Springs. Anyone with any info on any of these departments feel free to message me thank you.

and Hollywood as well

Comment

Coral Springs and Davie are both good departments. Sunrise and Plantation are decent. Creek is a bit smaller, but still a good department. Their only downside is they use FRS (state retirement) for their pension plan, which is not so good. Hollywood historically has had a lot of ups and downs. They seem to be on an upswing right now, so hopefully that will continue for them. Pembroke Pines is decent as well.

Comment

What are good areas to live between the departments mentioned above ?

Comment

Originally posted by Stay Frosty View Post
          What are good areas to live between the departments mentioned above ?
          South Florida in general isn't cheap, but not as bad as other parts of the country. You'll pay more for some areas than others. Out east will usually be more expensive than west in the suburbs. Boca is nice, but can be a bit pricey depending on the area. Fort Lauderdale will also not be cheap. Coral Springs, Davie, Plantation, western Pembroke Pines, western Sunrise, and Coconut Creek are good. It just all depends on what you like and what you can afford.

Comment

What’s up everyone. Long time lurker. Probably over ten years. I remember coming on this website to find out when my test was going to be called for the NYPD lol. So I’m really contemplating making the switch. I’m a Sgt with the NYPD. Coming up on 10 years. Just wanted to pick the brain of anyone who made the jump this late in the game. Being a cop in NY is dead. The new laws they just passed have essentially killed this profession in NYC. How was the transition for anyone who made this switch? Fort Lauderdale you’re able to buy back 5 years and they still have 20 and out so essentially I’d have to do 15 more here or 15 more there. And down there is a better pension. Any advice or help would be great guys thank you

Comment

• Wheats13
              Wheats13 commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm in Illinois and our virtue signaling governor just signed HB 3653 into law which will really make it harder to do our jobs. We will no longer be able to arrest for criminal trespass on private property or obstruction of a peace officer specifically pertaining to crime scenes. After July 1st we will only be able to write state citations for those. It's going to hurt the people more than it does us. Get the popcorn ready.
              I've got 6 years left before I can retire at 50 with 25 years of service. It's a good pension but I can't wait to retire.

• SJR1709
              SJR1709 commented
              Editing a comment
              If FLPD is where you're interested in going, I'd read their contract and look at their pension info. Both of which are can be found online. I'd suggest doing that for any agency you're interested in. Just to make sure that your thoughts/plans are correct.

• Wheats13
              Wheats13 commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks that is good advice. The hits just keep coming here. A bill to end Qualified Immunity just made it out of committee last Friday. I'm sure this will pass as well and get signed into law.

Anybody from out of the area or another State thinking of coming down here, I'd suggest really doing your research into each agency you're interested in to make sure they are offering what you want. I'm a big believer that there is no "best agency" because it has more to do with the individual and what they are looking for. One department might suit one person's wants/needs better than it would for someone else, so you really have to decide what it is you are looking for in a department and who can give that to you. Especially those of you looking to come here from other States, you're not familiar with each department and just because they have a good recruitment video or put their website together well claiming they are "the best", doesn't mean they are, or at least are for you and your wants/needs. Just something to think about.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6202 users online. 352 members and 5850 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X