300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tampa area with kids

I’m looking into applying with Tampa PD and have already applied last week with St Pete PD. Currently I’m a Sgt with LMPD (Louisville, KY) but am looking to get out of KY and I have a buddy who is currently on Tampa PD who worked for me at LMPD.

A little background, I’m 33, my wife stays home with our 3 kids (ages 8, 5, 4). Our big thing with the move is making sure my wife and kids are ok and feel comfortable while I’m at work. Also, looking to spend around $250k or so on a house when we move. With that in mind, what areas in counties that surround Hillsborough are good? Safe and have good schools? So far I have liked Wesley Chapel by just looking online. We actually just arrived in Tampa and are going to check out the area for this week as well so any suggestions would be great and I’ll be sure to check those areas out as well.

Lou,

I'm in the same boat - looking to go from Pennsylvania to the Tampa region. What does your friend have to say about making the move to Tampa?

Also, if anyone on here can compare/contrast the two departments (other than the obvious of what is on the website) that would be great.

Comment

Look into Wimauma. Its SEish of Tampa and the commute is not terrible, and has some nice houses in your price range (have a family member living there). Its also new and upcoming, and as I remember it, pretty safe. Other than that you will have to do some searching of your own cause it will start to get pricier the closer to the bay you go. Also check out HCSO. They make a little less than Tampa but I know they are a pretty solid and big agency. Do not know much about St. Pete, BUT, just to the east is Pinellas Park. Had a buddy leave them for Tampa even when his dad was command staff for Pinellas...Clearwater PD is not bad from what I have heard either and the area is beautiful. Just pricey to live there. Good luck.
      Last edited by griffinlocke; 03-23-2021, 08:16 PM.

Comment

Good luck getting a nice house in the Tampa area for $250K. Housing is expensive in Florida. Unfortunately for you, its a seller's market right now. I sold a house in Texas 4 years ago for around $250K. Paid almost twice as much here for essentially the same house.

Comment

• Wheats13
          Wheats13 commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm looking to leave Illinois. Sounds like per COL you prefer Texas. As I'm single I'm looking at Dallas/Ft Worth area. I'm not familiar with DFW airport but I recently saw they have a lateral process.

My buddy LOVES Tampa so far and keeps trying to get me to make the move, however he doesn’t have kids so it’s a lot easier for him. I figured housing would be crazy in Tampa now that’s why I’m fine with living outside of Hillsborough. Thanks for the suggestions though, definitely going to look into them all.

Comment

Funny similar situation. Does any one have a link for the benefits for Tampa PD? Just went down to visit the area super nice.

Comment

Moved from MI to Tampa PD 9 years ago... PM me with questions

Comment

• pacop1990
              pacop1990 commented
              Editing a comment
              Sent you a pm, Helo

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6253 users online. 354 members and 5899 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X